• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Expiring RTV - DfT have now announced a 6 month extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
It keeps the accountants happy. Gift cards basically have a value so need to have an end date. Many-but not all-places are happy to reinstate an expired card as good customer service, but expiring them keeps the company finances under control.
Yes, and a small business owner that did gift vouchers told me he put expiry dates on them to help avoid the scenario where the voucher holder(s) save them up and tend to want to use them ahead of times like Christmas - where he would get more people coming in with vouchers, creating a cash flow problem for him at a time when he needs cash to pay suppliers - ie early in new year. Not sure how big an issue this was but I could see things from his point of view.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSP 2

Yes, and a small business owner that did gift vouchers told me he put expiry dates on them to help avoid the scenario where the voucher holder(s) save them up and tend to want to use them ahead of times like Christmas - where he would get more people coming in with vouchers, creating a cash flow problem for him at a time when he needs cash to pay suppliers - ie early in new year. Not sure how big an issue this was but I could see things from his point of view.

I'm not sure how this relates to a business the size of SWR, when to get the RTVs in the first place was caused by something going wrong on that railway (or ToC). Not extending the RTVs just sound like sharp practice and that they are hiding behind the rail delivery group, when as we all can see other ToCs are quit willing to extend the RTVs.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I'm not sure how this relates to a business the size of SWR, when to get the RTVs in the first place was caused by something going wrong on that railway (or ToC). Not extending the RTVs just sound like sharp practice and that they are hiding behind the rail delivery group, when as we all can see other ToCs are quit willing to extend the RTVs.
I fully agree. But I was responding to a post that related to shop voucher expiry dates (with no indication of the size of the retailer involved) post #9. I suspect the accounting convention explained has also been used at TOCs in the past, but I agree that this should not happen and it is anti consumer - esp in an industry underwritten by HM Govt (so vouchers could be not much different to the brown flimsy plastic vouchers issued by the Bank of England)

Nunners

How did you get on?

Just put in my claim to get my LNER RTVs extended, very simple to do and no fuss when I spoke to the chap at LNER, just wright void on each one but don't block the price on the RTVs. Then it was photo them and send to [email protected]
I got a reply back with in an hour saying that it was on going.

I phoned up SWR (0345 6000 650 op5) to ask about RTVs that are nearing there expiry date to be told that they weren't extending them and that no railway cos. were, as that is what the rail delivery group has told them to do. She didn't have much to say after I told her the LNER were extending mine for twelve months.
I asked on twitter and they said fill in the form on the website. The delay repay extension doesn't really fit into any of the categories in the form, but I explained it in the box and they replied very quickly. They said send them a picture of the vouchers cut in half and we'll send you new ones. They came about 2 days later in the post.

It was very quick and hassle-free, so well done SWR!

I would suggest filling in the form on their website if you're having trouble. I tend to find the call centre people have no idea what they're on about (that's why I asked on twitter, they're normally the best)

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Northern have asked me to post mine back to them and they will either give a replacement or a cheque (my choice). So I'm waiting for it to come back now.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Seems to me sharp practice.

The business owner will effectively have had the benefit of an interest free cash advance when the vouchers were originally issued, and is now no longer holding up their end of the deal. Just my opinion, mind, but I'm sure the likes of Martin Lewis would agree.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Seems to me sharp practice.

The business owner will have effectively had the benefit of an interest free cash advance when the vouchers were originally issued, and is now no longer holding up their end of the deal. Just my opinion, mind, but I'm sure the likes of Martin Lewis would agree.
I agree, but people are free to check the terms when buying a voucher I guess - I find them a total nuisance and largely for such reasons as this. It may be sharp practice but it's pretty common - in fact I suspect almost universal. Bank of England vouchers are more flexible.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
At least those TOCs willing to re-issue expiring RTVs are playing fair, particularly so after the best part of a year of "Essential Journeys only" messaging.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
At least those TOCs willing to re-issue expiring RTVs are playing fair, particularly so after the best part of a year of "Essential Journeys only" messaging.
I did have a GWR one for a smallish amount that was due to expire later this month, on contacting then they told me I had to let it expire and then contact customer services who will "consider the request" and get back to me. As it happened I was able to use it towards a very local journey I needed to make this week.

HSP 2

Just a quick update, I got my RTVs back from LNER yesterday for the full amount I have lost a few days but I'm not complaining.

P Binnersley

From DfT website:

Rail travel vouchers extended for 6 months due to COVID-19.
Rail passengers with unused travel vouchers have been given extra time to redeem them to ensure they are not left out of pocket from COVID-19 related restrictions.

Thousands of passengers with rail travel vouchers, which have expired or are due to expire between 20 October 2020 and 30 June 2021 will get an additional 6 months after their original expiry date to redeem them to recognise the fact that most passengers had been unable to use them during the second and third national lockdowns.

The government’s roadmap out of lockdown has ensured significant parts of the indoor economy and further outdoor settings have reopened including non-essential retail, personal care and hospitality businesses in England and overnight stays permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSP 2

What a buffer that I spoke to LNER around about March and got mine extended by twelve months. But that was before that they had expired. It looks like if you have some that have expired that it maybe worth a shout to see if you can get them extended.

David M

It remains a great pity that Railcard holders are being ignored. I renewed two separate Railcards in February 2020 and used them once between them.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Unfortunately, the decision not to refund/extend Railcards came from the DfT (given they're currently propping up the industry even more than usual) rather than the Train Companies or Rail Delivery Group, so the industry's collective hands were tied.

As was pointed out at the time, however, it's entirely possible for a Railcard to pay for itself with just one journey. For example, an undiscounted Adult Off-Peak Return from London to Manchester is currently £94.50. With a Railcard discount applied, that becomes £62.35, for a saving of £32.15. So not only has the Railcard paid for itself, you're effectively £2.15 in credit.

robbeech

Established Member
It remains a great pity that Railcard holders are being ignored. I renewed two separate Railcards in February 2020 and used them once between them.
Indeed, my two together card got used for a pair of Ely to Norwich CDRs. A shame but I look forward to using the next one more and the RTV extension gives me about £350 to play with which is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.