• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Express Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Does anyone else find Hornby's express points a pain to use? They really complicate the track geometry and require a lot of tiny straight sections to line the tracks back up again. Perhaps I'm not using them correctly?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRblue33

I never use Hornby track . Peco flexy track and points i use. Then you have a choice of code 100 or code 75 plus Concrete sleepers. Even bullhead track.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I never use Hornby track . Peco flexy track and points i use. Then you have a choice of code 100 or code 75 plus Concrete sleepers. Even bullhead track.

Same here (except code 55 N gauge).
Gentle radius points make big difference to how a railway looks but I’ve never designed a railway using set track so it’s all cut to measure for me.

Peter C

Established Member
Does anyone else find Hornby's express points a pain to use? They really complicate the track geometry and require a lot of tiny straight sections to line the tracks back up again. Perhaps I'm not using them correctly?
I've got two pairs of Hornby express points on my layout. I installed them sometime last year to improve running over one particular junction on one side of the layout and then on the other side to keep the geometry and spacing between the tracks. They're designed to be the width of 1.5 R600 pieces; this means to make up the length of an express point, you need 1xR600 and then 2xR610 (IIRC). To line the tracks up when building off of the 'normal' points setting, you need two of the R610 pieces (quarter-straights, where four don't make one R600-length piece).

-Peter

deltic14

I had to remove my Hornby express points because they broke (tie bar failure) after a very short time. In my opinion Peco points are much more robust but you do have to cut flexi track to appropriate lengths to maintain distance between running lines if you use the medium radius points which are the nearest thing to Hornby express points.

Status
Not open for further replies.