• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
You could almost guarantee that the person who caused yesterdays BGP issues might not work there today
Apparently it was more than a routing issue, there are reports that even the access cards didn't work when engineers tried to get into the data centres.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geezertronic

Established Member
Apparently it was more than a routing issue, there are reports that even the access cards didn't work when engineers tried to get into the data centres.

Yes ironically the same issue stopped Facebook Technical staff from being able to logon to their remote management systems, and also stopped Facebook staff from accessing the buildings as the card systems ran using the same internet-based systems. Ah the online world :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
mods note, separated from this thread:https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/forum-jokes.85763/

I thought it best to start a new thread on this in the end…

The services were down from about 16:00 GMT until around 22:00 on Monday.
But the company said there was "no evidence that user data was compromised".
Sheera Frenkel, the New York Times' technology reporter, told the Today programme part of the reason it took so long to fix was because "the people trying to figure out what this problem was couldn't even physically get into the building" to work out what had gone wrong.

PeterY

Established Member
The only social media I use is Facebook. Did I miss it for 6 hours. No not really :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok, so what are the conspiracy theories :lol: ?

Now that many people have been micro chipped due to the successful vaccination program and were ‘activated’ yesterday, Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp had to be rebooted due to heavy interference. ;)

ABB125

Established Member
Now that many people have been micro chipped due to the successful vaccination program and were ‘activated’ yesterday, Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp had to be rebooted due to heavy interference. ;)
Well clearly Bill Gates needs to go back to the drawing board and redesign his brain-control microchips. Then create a new virus so that there's another excuse to forcibly vaccinate people. After all, it's no good if the microchips being activated stops the world from going round...

:D

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Is everyone OK? Did you all survive that terrible evening without FB/WhatsApp/Instagram? If anyone needs to just talk about it, message me. I'm here to listen. :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is everyone OK? Did you all survive that terrible evening without FB/WhatsApp/Instagram? If anyone needs to just talk about it, message me. I'm here to listen. :lol:

Out of the three I only use WhatsApp so the worst thing that happened to me was that I couldn’t download and then forward a meme that was sent to me.
I’m over it now though.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apparently Zuckerberg has lost about $6bn according to the BBC. I'm sure he will be able to find that amount down the back of his sofa somewhere!

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Out of the three I only use WhatsApp so the worst thing that happened to me was that I couldn’t download and then forward a meme that was sent to me.
I’m over it now though.

I'm glad you feel you've recovered. Not being able to forward a meme does sound pretty traumatic :(

:lol:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Had I not seen it reported on the news earlier, I would have never have noticed at all. #whatever

Geezertronic

Established Member
Just think of all of the dinner pics that went to waste last night - how do people cope not knowing what each other had to eat :D

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Just think of all of the dinner pics that went to waste last night - how do people cope not knowing what each other had to eat :D
Be careful what you wish for - we'll end up with double helpings tonight! :)

nlogax

Established Member
On a technical note, imagine having an IT infrastructure so complex that you can't even get into your own offices because the building entry systems are all tied into the same (faulty) network. Quite an achievement when you think about it.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
On a technical note, imagine having an IT infrastructure so complex that you can't even get into your own offices because the building entry systems are all tied into the same (faulty) network. Quite an achievement when you think about it.
Yeah it crossed my mind that I imagine various people at FB are now badly regretting that particular design decision. Astonishing that a company that is so strongly tech-based apparently didn't think about what happens if you tie everything into a single point of failure.

nlogax

Established Member
Yeah it crossed my mind that I imagine various people at FB are now badly regretting that particular design decision. Astonishing that a company that is so strongly tech-based apparently didn't think about what happens if you tie everything into a single point of failure.
I am sure there will be one or two Mountain View-based enterprise architects looking for new roles or venturing into early retirement after this.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I am sure there will be one or two Mountain View-based enterprise architects looking for new roles or venturing into early retirement after this.
Aren't FB based in Palo Alto? I'd be a bit miffed if I worked for Google and got fired for something Facebook messed up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.