• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failed to pay fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celest

Hello all,

I recently travelled from my local station, of which did have ticket facilities available.
However, I did not get one as I was in a rush and only had a couple of minutes to spare. I have previously and saw others buy tickets on the train, of which I thought I was able to. When the warden came around I got my card and offered to pay. He said that they didn't do that anymore and took my details e.g. name, address. He asked how often I travel and said 'not very often, once a fortnight' and then said that I'd receive something in the post. I asked if I'm going to be fined and he said 'we don't do fines'.

I thought I'd be able to buy a ticket on the train (obviously I know now). Just a concern, is that will I get a criminal record from all this?
Some background, I am willing to pay any fee or amount they want and this is the first time anything like this has ever happened. This is East Midlands Railway.

Thank you for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Hello all,

I recently travelled from my local station, of which did have ticket facilities available.
However, I did not get one as I was in a rush and only had a couple of minutes to spare. I have previously and saw others buy tickets on the train, of which I thought I was able to. When the warden came around I got my card and offered to pay. He said that they didn't do that anymore and took my details e.g. name, address. He asked how often I travel and said 'not very often, once a fortnight' and then said that I'd receive something in the post. I asked if I'm going to be fined and he said 'we don't do fines'.

I thought I'd be able to buy a ticket on the train (obviously I know now). Just a concern, is that will I get a criminal record from all this?
Some background, I am willing to pay any fee or amount they want and this is the first time anything like this has ever happened. This is East Midlands Railway.

Thank you for any help.
The likely outcome is that, subject to you sending an appropriate letter when invited to do so, you will be offered an opportunity to settle the matter on payment of the outstanding fare plus an amount to cover some of the costs incurred by the train company. You could potentially get a criminal conviction if the matter goes to court, but as you will read on multiple threads on here it should not be regarded as a major issue.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Which station did you board and which station did you alight?

Wait for the letter from the train company and then engage with them - do not ignore. As Haywain says, read up on other posts in this forum to get an idea of what to expect

The letter could take weeks/a few months

The railway don't issue fines - courts do

If this is the first time you have not bought a ticket, do not worry, you will not get a criminal conviction (unless you ignore the letter they send you)

You will now know to arrive at the station in good time in future. Could you not purchase on-line and avoid the queues?

Celest

The likely outcome is that, subject to you sending an appropriate letter when invited to do so, you will be offered an opportunity to settle the matter on payment of the outstanding fare plus an amount to cover some of the costs incurred by the train company. You could potentially get a criminal conviction if the matter goes to court, but as you will read on multiple threads on here it should not be regarded as a major issue.
Thank you,

I
Which station did you board and which station did you alight?

Wait for the letter from the train company and then engage with them - do not ignore. As Haywain says, read up on other posts in this forum to get an idea of what to expect

The letter could take weeks/a few months

The railway don't issue fines - courts do

If this is the first time you have not bought a ticket, do not worry, you will not get a criminal conviction (unless you ignore the letter they send you)

You will now know to arrive at the station in good time in future. Could you not purchase on-line and avoid the queues?
Nuneaton to Hinckley.

Yeah, the first time. Have not had any problems in the past with the Railway. I didn't seem to think online. I've always done it in person.

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Thank you,

I

Nuneaton to Hinckley.

Yeah, the first time. Have not had any problems in the past with the Railway. I didn't seem to think online. I've always done it in person.

I'm the same - I prefer a person to a computer

But as you now know, it is not a defence

Feel free to come back here when you receive the letter from the train company.

There is nothing you can do until then apart from making a note of your actions now and setting aside (as you are unlikely to remember in 6 months time...)

Daniel740

On Moderation
I'm the same - I prefer a person to a computer

But as you now know, it is not a defence

Feel free to come back here when you receive the letter from the train company.

There is nothing you can do until then apart from making a note of your actions now and setting aside (as you are unlikely to remember in 6 months time...)
Surely that would depend though? If you have dyslexia and so can’t use the machines, that would be a defense?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Surely that would depend though? If you have dyslexia and so can’t use the machines, that would be a defense?

Unlikely

As far as the railway is concerned, the OP passed up an opportunity to pay. It is black and white. He did not queue at the ticket office, purchase a ticket and get the next train - which he could have done

Last edited:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
If the OP's journey is Nuneaton to Hinckley, wouldn't this matter be settled by CrossCountry rather than East Midlands Railway?

Celest

I spoke to an individual from Cross country saying that I won't be prosecuted, just fined. So that's fine. Taking it to court is a lot of hassle for them aswell.

Darandio

Established Member
I spoke to an individual from Cross country saying that I won't be prosecuted, just fined. So that's fine. Taking it to court is a lot of hassle for them aswell.

A slight point of order but only a court can issue a fine so what you will be potentially offered is a settlement, i'm also very surprised Cross Country themselves would offer that information. As already noted above, all you can do is await whatever they send to you through the post.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
A slight point of order but only a court can issue a fine so what you will be potentially offered is a settlement, i'm also very surprised Cross Country themselves would offer that information. As already noted above, all you can do is await whatever they send to you through the post.
That's true, you should always get everything in writing from any company. They might change their mind!

WesternLancer

Established Member
If that was what you were told make a note of who told you (name and role), when (date / time) and how (over phone / staff member on train etc). Not wishing to alarm you but there are other cases on here of XC staff saying this but cases going on to court - circs may be different however as not always full circs outlined to us in such posts. From my observation of these threads XC do not appear to always be consistent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.