• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fair prices for 00 Mallard & Princess Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning,

I would like to buy a non digi 00 gauge, Hornby or similar, LNER Mallard (Blue) and LMS Princess Elizabeth, (LMS Maroon.)

A local shop does has had a Hornby Mallard at £ 100.00, is that a fair price? I have seen it on the web recently for a pre order Railroad range at about
£ 84.00.

Like wise, are there any 00 Models of Princess Elizabeth? I have looked on line but could not see anything, although the Duchess of Hamilton does come up some times.

At the moment on the main line is Princess Elizabeth in Maroon or Black Livery?

Any views, comments, suggestions welcome.

Many Thanks Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
If your not too bothered about the level of detailing you might want to consider going for an older release of either as one of the tradeoffs for a higher level of detailing is that some of the detailing can be fragile

sprinterguy

Established Member
"Princess Elizabeth" will retain LMS crimson lake livery when it returns to the main line.

Hornby most recently produced the "Princess Elizabeth" in crimson lake livery with gold treated handrails and coupling rods as part of a limited edition trainset for HM The Queens' Diamond Jubilee in 2012, and was also available separately in this gold plated form as a limited edition identified as R2215. It was previously produced as part of the R1057 "Royal Train" train set in 2001.

Hornby have previously produced the "Princess Elizabeth" in crimson lake livery as a separate locomotive in the main range, but not recently: The last time as far as I'm aware being in 1993/94:
http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=5010

Even on a certain popular online auction site this locomotive, and its predecessor, which was produced as R832 in the mid eighties, seem to retail for around £70 secondhand.

A secondhand "Mallard" should be easier to come by as the model has been produced almost continuously by Hornby for donkeys years as far as I can tell, but I would still say that £100 is quite a good price for a new model from an actual shop.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
"Princess Elizabeth" will retain LMS crimson lake livery when it returns to the main line.

Hornby most recently produced the "Princess Elizabeth" in crimson lake livery with gold treated handrails and coupling rods as part of a limited edition trainset for HM The Queens' Diamond Jubilee in 2012, and was also available separately in this gold plated form as a limited edition identified as R2215. It was previously produced as part of the R1057 "Royal Train" train set in 2001.

Hornby have previously produced the "Princess Elizabeth" in crimson lake livery as a separate locomotive in the main range, but not recently: The last time as far as I'm aware being in 1993/94:
http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=5010

Even on a certain popular online auction site this locomotive, and its predecessor, which was produced as R832 in the mid eighties, seem to retail for around £70 secondhand.

A secondhand "Mallard" should be easier to come by as the model has been produced almost continuously by Hornby for donkeys years as far as I can tell, but I would still say that £100 is quite a good price for a new model from an actual shop.

Thank you for the info and advise here, I am really tempted to get the Mallard that I have seen, but I will check again that auction site for both locos.

gazthomas

Established Member
Have a look at the Hatton's website, the pre-order for Railroad Mallard is £74.06. In my experience they're always very competitive on price and they have a good reputation.

Also, this is my 1,000th post on the forum!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Code:
Have a look at the Hatton's website, the pre-order for Railroad Mallard is £74.06. In my experience they're always very competitive on price and they have a good reputation.

Also, this is my 1,000th post on the forum!

Thank you for the hatton's tip and congratulations on your 1000 th posting on the forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.