• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fake Ticket Inspectors? ATOC Staff Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

father_jack

No its not illegal to film on a train as it is a "public place", potential issue would arise with what that footage is then used for, ie if plastered over social media etc
As happened to an RPI "down south west direction" a few years ago, there go any of us but for the grace etc....:frown:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
There is no explicit prohibition on filming on the railway; however, depending on the circumstances one may by filming contravene byelaw 6 (8) if the filming interferes with the comfort or convenience of another person on the railway. And of course the railway being for the most part private property, one’s implied permission to be there may be revoked.

father_jack

There is no explicit prohibition on filming on the railway; however, depending on the circumstances one may by filming contravene byelaw 6 (8) if the filming interferes with the comfort or convenience of another person on the railway. And of course the railway being for the most part private property, one’s implied permission to be there may be revoked.
Revokation of implied permission aka WOIRA is a minefield and is often not prudent these days, it has been alleged that withdrawal of said permission can become grounds for suspicion.

philthetube

Established Member
I agree with some of the other posters, a panic attack means nothing, I managed to drive a lady to a panic attack by making a PA that the train would be delayed by 5 minutes. She may have reasons to have been upset but I certainly was not rude or abusive to cause it.

RPI

Established Member
As happened to an RPI "down south west direction" a few years ago, there go any of us but for the grace etc....:frown:
Yes I seem to remember that, the video being very one sided too! But we digress

Master29

Established Member
I agree with some of the other posters, a panic attack means nothing, I managed to drive a lady to a panic attack by making a PA that the train would be delayed by 5 minutes. She may have reasons to have been upset but I certainly was not rude or abusive to cause it.
There are also many different reasons for panic attacks usually related to an already existing condition either physical or mental as well as potentially undiagnosed.

farleigh

No its not illegal to film on a train as it is a "public place", potential issue would arise with what that footage is then used for, ie if plastered over social media etc
Perhaps surprisingly there is no restriction on posting footage on Youtube etc

scrapy

Established Member
I've been sat as a passenger on a train when two girls who'd not bought a correct ticket (no Railcard) and were talking amongst themselves now regretting what they had done and the possible scenarios if they were caught were working themselves into such a panic that when they were eventually asked for a ticket about an hour later, the simple words 'tickets please' by the Train Manager sent them over the edge into a meltdown. TM was professional and polite but offered them a full priced ticket they couldn't afford, then names and addresses taken. Not sure if these girls went back to their parents with a sob story and a complaint about the TM making them cry followed.

Last edited:

DorkingMain

More fool you. The only people that get penalised are the ones that do wrong.
Past experience suggests that this *should* be the case, but is not always the case.

Various situations, documented here but also that I'm aware of anecdotally, where someone was using a valid ticket / pass and was still penalised, often with quite a lot of struggle to have the situation corrected.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Past experience suggests that this *should* be the case, but is not always the case.

Various situations, documented here but also that I'm aware of anecdotally, where someone was using a valid ticket / pass and was still penalised, often with quite a lot of struggle to have the situation corrected.
Maybe, but is paying 4 times what you need to going to completely avoid such matters. Or in the case of not using Travel Warrants, it goes to paying for travel that is required by your employer and would be paid for by your employer!

DorkingMain

Maybe, but is paying 4 times what you need to going to completely avoid such matters. Or in the case of not using Travel Warrants, it goes to paying for travel that is required by your employer and would be paid for by your employer!

Yes indeed. That's definitely in the extreme, I'm just disagreeing with the assertion that only those doing wrong are those that get in trouble.

philthetube

Established Member
I cannot think of a situation where you would get in trouble using a priv, where you would not get in trouble using the equivalent 4x the price full fare tickets, most people on here have either tried to avoid payment or have made mistakes with expired cards, occasionally because they have lost tickets or overslept, all of these instances could equally happen using a priv. I am sure that someone will now come up with such a situation but it would be incredibly rare.

Also you are more likely to be treated leniently by staff on the ground if you are using a priv.

Status
Not open for further replies.