• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Famous people on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Many years ago the then Liverpool manager Gerard Houlier on Eurostar.
Rio Ferdinand (then playing for Man Utd) boarding a London train (midweek afternoon (after training?)) at Wilmslow.
Gordon Strachan (then Scotland Manager) on a Glasgow to London train (until staff advised him First Class was further forward)
Various 'stars' of Coronation St on Manchester London trains and on Piccadilly and Wilmslow stations.
Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton boarding the Fort William to London sleeper at Rannoch in the late 1970's
and finally, very much in the 'in-famous' category, Jimmy Saville on a Glasgow to Fort William train also in the late 1970s - well he was famous at the time

morrisobrien

Rio Ferdinand (then playing for Man Utd) boarding a London train (midweek afternoon (after training?)) at Wilmslow.
Gordon Strachan (then Scotland Manager) on a Glasgow to London train (until staff advised him First Class was further forward)
Various 'stars' of Coronation St on Manchester London trains and on Piccadilly and Wilmslow stations.
Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton boarding the Fort William to London sleeper at Rannoch in the late 1970's
and finally, very much in the 'in-famous' category, Jimmy Saville on a Glasgow to Fort William train also in the late 1970s - well he was famous at the time

morrisobrien

BRILLIANT !!

Tallguy

Am pretty certain Simon Calder was in the same carriage as me on my last LNER trip from Waverley to KX. He got on at one of the intermediate stations.

Sat next to Antony Stokes, the British Ambassador to Cuba on a flight back from Havana 4 years ago but biggest claim to fame was almost being run over by the then head of the Anti-Terrorism Department, Commander George Churchill-Coleman when I stepped out in front of him driving a Range Rover by the London Underground HQ 25+ years ago.

Glenn1969

Established Member
Two memories of a trip to Swansea to see Para athletics in 2014

While in the stadium I was 2 rows away from Sian Lloyd when she was deciding who to interview for C4 and got a T shirt signed by "Hurricane" Hannah Cockroft (who I have met several times because she lives 2 miles away from me and used to play wheelchair basketball for my club)

On the way back I had booked via Heart of Wales and Michael Portillo was filming on my train. Did manage to have a brief chat with him .

Know they are a tenuous claim to fame though

Mikey C

Established Member
On the way back I had booked via Heart of Wales and Michael Portillo was filming on my train. Did manage to have a brief chat with him .
I feel a bit left out as I've never seen Michael Portillo on a train, filming his show :D

Altrincham

Over the years I’ve seen a few famous faces on trains or waiting at stations:

• Coronation Street cast members on Euston-bound trains out of Piccadilly (Maureen Lipman, Helen Worth, David Neilsen, all at separate times)
  • Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean alighting the Euston train at Piccadilly
  • Caroline Aherne waiting for the Euston train at Stockport station one cold and dark Sunday night
  • Melvyn Bragg waiting on the southbound platform at Macclesfield
  • Michael Portillo boarding a Crewe-bound East Midlands Train at Stoke
  • Peter Crouch at Stoke
  • Geoff Hoon on a St Pancras train from Long Eaton just as he became Transport Secretary
  • Jose Mourinho getting off an early morning Euston-Piccadilly service at Stockport
  • Emma Thompson at York
  • Roy Barraclough at Sheffield

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I feel a bit left out as I've never seen Michael Portillo on a train, filming his show :D

Saw him at Windermere back in 2009 filming what I think was the first series of Great British Railway Journeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.