• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fares workshops

If this is of interest, where would suit you for it to be held?

• Total voters

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If there is sufficient interest, I will hold another of our free fares workshops this autumn. If anyone would like to join us, please reply to this thread. I'm open to suggestions on where we could hold it; please state in your reply what locations you could reach.

We could cover any areas attendees want to cover, for example it could include any of the following:
  • Determining mapped routes using the Routeing Guide
  • Application of the shortest route rule
  • Easements (we could look at the electronic data, application of easements, examples of how they can be interpreted differently on different websites, etc)
  • Ticket validity and restrictions
  • Dispute resolution (including Delay Repay, refunds, contractual breaches)
  • Excess fares (circumstances in which they are relevant, the different types of excess fares, which can be issued on board, how they are calculated etc)
  • Legal matters (I am not a lawyer and will not be providing legal advise but we can discuss relevant areas of law, such as the Regulation of Railways Act, Railway Byelaws, Competition Law, Consumer Law and Contract Law)
We would only be able to cover some of these areas in a single session, so I would establish the areas to explore once we know who is attending.

We do not charge for this. You may benefit by being able to better understand how railway ticketing works which could result in you obtaining better value fares; it may allow you to travel with more confidence; some cases it's actually led to employment opportunities. I've benefited by learning more myself and meeting some great people.

We usually hold these events in a pub and the forum will pay for non-alcoholic drinks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I might be interested, depending on timings and location (I would be best placed to reach anywhere in a triangle bounded roughly by London, Bristol, and Wolverhampton).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I might be interested, depending on timings and location (I would be best placed to reach anywhere in a triangle bounded roughly by London, Bristol, and Wolverhampton).
No location decided yet, so any information such as this will be taken into account when we choose where to host it :)

Laurencew

I have been on two of these some years ago (Sheffield and Liverpool??). I thoroughly enjoyed each meeting, not just for the fares information, but for the friendly welcome I received from the other members of this forum, some many decades younger than me. I would welcome some 'revision', so somewhere within 80 or so miles from Chester would suit. I am thinking Birmingham, Manchester, Yorkshire etc.

Established Member
I'd probably be interested depending on dates.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It sounds like Sheffield or Birmingham may be best, but I've created a poll with a few other options, including Derby which is about half way between the two. You can vote for all venues that would be suitable, you are not limited to one choice.

I'll create a Doodle to choose the date once we've chosen the location.

SirAlf

I'd be interested subject to the date. I live in Derbyshire so Derby would be ideal, Sheffield and Birmingham also perfectly OK for me

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would this be an advance fares workshop?
We can decide the detail once we know the venues, dates, and then who can attend and what everyone's level is and what people want to cover; all options are open at present :)

Ken_Ilworth

I attended a (standard) workshop a couple of years ago and it was excellent. I'd tried to use the routing guide before, but to be taken through it by experts was enlightening. I also picked up some tips, one of which in particular was incredibly useful. I'd happily attend another and all of the topics listed would be of interest.
(I've voted London and Birmingham)

80sGuard

I would also be interested in attending, preferably in London or Derby (although I could get to any of the other proposed venues). As to topics, a look at the Routeing Guide would be top of my list. I'm not going to claim any prior knowledge, as what I do remember about ticketing dates from 40 years ago. But, if it wouldn't be a diversion, I would be happy to bring along some of my souvenirs from my time as a Conductor Guard on the SR South Western Division in the early 80's (suburban (hand written) fare tables, ticket pad examples, BR Ticket Examiners Handbook) etc.

HSP 2

I'd be interested in attending. Liverpool, Manchester or Sheffield.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Is there any chance at all one of these could be held further north/in Scotland at any point?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've added Glasgow/Edinburgh to the poll.

Votes can be changed, and it's possible to vote for multiple options.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm going to look at the first potentially being the weekend of 9/10 October or the weekend after that. I'll leave a decision for a bit longer to see how things develop, and will contact people in due course :)

It will take a long time to cater for the demand, but it's great to see who is interested, so please do keep the responses coming :)

PauloDavesi

I’d be interested, preferably Birmingham.
Have you considered doing the session using Microsoft Teams or Zoom, as that may be easier and safer with the current restrictions on groups meeting.

amsutcliffe

Have you given any thought to doing a virtual workshop - eg via zoom? Completely understand if the content means that doesn't work, but it would be a less significant time commitment than travelling for those of us with limited spare capacity!

Thanks!