• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fares workshops

If this is of interest, where would suit you for it to be held?

• Total voters
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kilopylae

Hate to revive an old thread but if you're looking at holding one in early 2021 I'd be interested in coming along. I'll probably be travelling from Exeter St Davids or driving up so I would probably only be able to get to Birmingham or London of the options above (somewhere like Gloucester or Bristol would be easier but I'm well aware that the south-west is quite awkward!).

Tallguy

Count me in, I spend a lot on train tickets so would be interested in split ticketing, advanced fares and ticket/route validity issues. Birmingham, Oxford, Leicester, Northampton, London or Reading work for me. Or do it on Teams in a structured way.....

peterblue

I would like to attend one too. Physically, either Manchester or Birmingham would be ideal. I would rather such meets be conducted in 'flesh' as there is more engagement and it is more interactive.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Keep the expressions of interest coming, though these won't be going ahead in the near future, I do hope they will resume in the Spring.

I look forward to meeting you all in a few months time and we will try to clear the backlog by the end of 2021.

I have no plans to do these online/remotely.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As things stand, 17th May onwards looks good to resume these, though there is the possibility of going for it from 12th April if the weather is decent enough! I will revisit this in about 5-6 weeks time and see what the situation is then.

If you are interested and have not yet added your username to the poll, feel free to do so.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've added an option for 'Bristol/Cardiff'

Multiple selections are allowed and people can change their votes :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a quick update to add that these events can obviously resume this Spring!

It's going to take a while to clear the backlog but please do add your name to the 'poll' to indicate your preferred venues, and I will start contacting people in due course.

Tallguy

I’m still interested. A brief explanation of the routing guide and how non railway people can access it (if possible) would be useful.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I'd be interested in coming. Live in Stafford. So Birmingham would be fine.

RobLawrence

Hi there. Before the pandemic hit I *think* were some embryonic plans for a Milton Keynes date. What chance of MK making the poll?! Thanks for reviving these.

FireCheetah

Hi Yorkie. Thank-you for offering to run these again. I've chosen London but I'm happy to travel anywhere within a return day trip distance of London.

Egg Centric

Milton Keynes good for me too. Also a suggestion - lots of noises being made about fare reform atm, it'd be nice if likely differences in the future are highlighted. NB this may not be possible as I'm not sure how much of the noise is concrete proposal yet.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I'm interested in principle, but very much dependant on the Covid situation, so I don't yet want to make any promises. Even once meeting up is legal, I'll want to feel Covid is sufficiently under control as to feel safe attending events.

Having said that, I really appreciate you taking the trouble to hold these events and will be very keen to attend as soon as it's possible/safe. I'd mostly be interested in ticket validity and restrictions, and determining route maps and easements.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The next event will be an Advanced Fares Workshop this weekend in North London.
If you are interested, let me know and I will get in touch with the details.
Limited places are available.

curtly

Would it ever be possible to hold this remotely using teams for example? I would prefer that format to a face to face session especially as I live in a remote region

Alfonso

Have you given any thought to doing a virtual workshop - eg via zoom? Completely understand if the content means that doesn't work, but it would be a less significant time commitment than travelling for those of us with limited spare capacity!

Thanks!
I’d be interested, preferably Birmingham.
Have you considered doing the session using Microsoft Teams or Zoom, as that may be easier and safer with the current restrictions on groups meeting.
Like LaurenceW upthread I went to one a couple of years ago and found it useful, interesting, and enjoyed meeting both the "students" and "teachers". I also doubt that so much info would be shared in a format that could be posted to the net with a few clicks.

Tallguy

The next event will be an Advanced Fares Workshop this weekend in North London.
If you are interested, let me know and I will get in touch with the details.
Limited places are available.
Bit short notice but I am interested if I can get there - please confirm where and when. However, won’t such an event be in breach of COVID regulations?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would it ever be possible to hold this remotely using teams for example? I would prefer that format to a face to face session especially as I live in a remote region
Where are you based? (Send me a conversation message if you'd rather not post it) We will look into arranging one as close as possible, depending on where it is and how much demand there might be.
Bit short notice but I am interested if I can get there - please confirm where and when. However, won’t such an event be in breach of COVID regulations?
No it won't be; I think you may be a bit confused about the Covid regulations.

curtly

Where are you based? (Send me a conversation message if you'd rather not post it) We will look into arranging one as close as possible, depending on where it is and how much demand there might be.
Cumbria, would travel to an event in Manchester dependant on the date.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If anyone is based in the London area let me know if you are available for a fares workshop on Sunday 27th June; we have 1 place available. edit: now full

If anyone is based in/near Devon, let me know if you are available for a fares workshop on Sunday 8th August, again we have 1 place available

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you are interested in joining us at a fares workshop to be held in Birmingham, please add your forum username to the Doodle below:

And likewise, if you are interested in a fares workshop to be held in London, please add your forum username to the following Doodle:

And finally, if anyone would like to attending a fares workshop in Glasgow or Edinburgh on Sunday 15 August, please reply below to register your interest.

All these events are informal, free to attend. We generally hold them in pubs or cafes, and the forum will pay for non-alcoholic drinks.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We have 1 place left in Exeter on 8th August and 1 place left in Birmingham on 19th September