• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fastest Accelerating MUs in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

AverageTD

I found another similar thread but that was from 2012 which didn't take into account the newer stock so I thought I'd start a new one.

What are the fastest accelerating MUs in the country? Given the differences between them I thought it best to split them into 3 sections.

-EMUs
-DMUs
-Metro/Tube stock

Seeing as bi mode trains have their feet in two camps, I think their separate stats can count for both categories. For example if a 755 was the fastest accelerating MU on electric then it would go in the EMU category. I'm going to guess that the winners are going to come from either Hitachi or Stadler.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

supervc-10

By what a lot of people have said on here (never been anywhere near one myself), the Stadler 755/3s shift on electric. By all accounts most modern EMUs are pretty rapid, but the 755/3 is quite a small train with the full 3,500hp on electric, according to Wiki. The 755/4s have the same output on electric, and the 745s have twice as much (but are more than twice as much train).

fgwrich

Established Member
The now sadly in their penultimate years 332s should still be up there with their rapid acceleration, while I believe their more modern 397's are also up there for their very rapid acceleration.

AverageTD

By what a lot of people have said on here (never been anywhere near one myself), the Stadler 755/3s shift on electric. By all accounts most modern EMUs are pretty rapid, but the 755/3 is quite a small train with the full 3,500hp on electric, according to Wiki. The 755/4s have the same output on electric, and the 745s have twice as much (but are more than twice as much train).
Stadler quotes the 755/3s as being able to do 1.3m/s"2 which is 09 stock territory, I assume they don't get anywhere near their full accelerating potential on regular service.

lordbusiness

The stadler units do shift, I've regularly timed a 745 hitting 100mph passing the Bacon Factory curve from a standing start at Ipswich. Heading north of of Cambridge North is another good stretch.

py_megapixel

Established Member
DMU- 185
EMU- 331

The 331 is much faster than the older 323.
Indeed, but the 323 is very fast for its age. Compare to the 319s - some of which were built barely 2 years before the 323s - and you'll see what I mean.

I would say that the 195 is considerably faster than the 185 also.

The Flexity trams in Blackpool & Manchester are pretty impressive as well, but they're light rail.
Amusing TfL feels the need to have announcements saying "These trams brake and accelerate very quickly!" despite their acceleration being seemingly somewhat less than some other tram networks which do not have these announcements.

Evolution

Indeed, but the 323 is very fast for its age. Compare to the 319s - some of which were built barely 2 years before the 323s - and you'll see what I mean.

I would say that the 195 is considerably faster than the 185 also.

The Flexity trams in Blackpool & Manchester are pretty impressive as well, but they're light rail.
Amusing TfL feels the need to have announcements saying "These trams brake and accelerate very quickly!" despite their acceleration being seemingly somewhat less than some other tram networks which do not have these announcements.
Agreed the 323s for their age are quick as you say.

Not sure about the 195, it may be faster 0-10mph due to the lighter weight but after that my bet would be the 185. If running on full power they are very quick with 750bhp per engine.

Not a MU but the Class 68 light loco is seriously fast.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Rail Express’ table probably does this best.

Believe the fastest 0-60 EMU is a 345, followed by other likely suspects.

Bevan Price

Established Member
See this that I posted in May 2020.
Class 185 was the best acceleration of those I have ridden upon.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Do 377s accelerate the same on A/C as on DC? I know they all perform similar on DC, but does a 377/2 have a bit more poke on overhead?

I’m disappointed in 444s and 450 but I guess that’s what you get when they’re limited to 60% and 75%

dk1

Veteran Member
Stadler quotes the 755/3s as being able to do 1.3m/s"2 which is 09 stock territory, I assume they don't get anywhere near their full accelerating potential on regular service.
I just whack them open most of the time & always if behind schedule so they do.

AM9

Veteran Member
Do 377s accelerate the same on A/C as on DC? I know they all perform similar on DC, but does a 377/2 have a bit more poke on overhead?

I’m disappointed in 444s and 450 but I guess that’s what you get when they’re limited to 60% and 75%
I think ,that Electrostars (like all modern EMUs) must be power-capped because of the inadequacies of the 3rd rail supply. That means that they can only provide full performance when running under OLE. Those that can remember their being used on Thameslink, have witnessed the difference in acceleration when they took to the MML wires. Similarly the 350's are far more sprightly on the WCML than the 450 on the SWML.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I think ,that Electrostars (like all modern EMUs) must be power-capped because of the inadequacies of the 3rd rail supply. That means that they can only provide full performance when running under OLE. Those that can remember their being used on Thameslink, have witnessed the difference in acceleration when they took to the MML wires. Similarly the 350's are far more sprightly on the WCML than the 450 on the SWML.

yes I’m not surprised that the 3rd rail is a limiting factor, what I was trying to work out was whether when a 377/2 pans up it removes the power draw restriction and as such sees an improved acceleration rate

365 Networker

365s can accelerate quite fast, when on full power and with dry rail conditions - they do slip quite easily in the autumn or when it has rained. I have also found they accelerate faster when they are only 4 coaches rather than 8 or 12.

AM9

Veteran Member
Indeed, but the 323 is very fast for its age. Compare to the 319s - some of which were built barely 2 years before the 323s - and you'll see what I mean. ...
Not really worth comparing the age similarity there, the two trains are from different generations of design. The 319s in terms of their traction design are based on the 317s which were introduced in 1981. Add to that the difference in power weight ratios of the two classes (about 7kW per tonne for the 319s vs nearly 10kW on the 323s) plus the lower speed gearing of the 10 years younger design, they are hardly worth considering in the same context.

northernbelle

yes I’m not surprised that the 3rd rail is a limiting factor, what I was trying to work out was whether when a 377/2 pans up it removes the power draw restriction and as such sees an improved acceleration rate
Yes, I believe the Electrostars perform quite differently on AC than they do on DC.

TheEdge

Established Member
The stadler units do shift, I've regularly timed a 745 hitting 100mph passing the Bacon Factory curve from a standing start at Ipswich. Heading north of of Cambridge North is another good stretch.

Do you mean 100 as you pass over Europa Junction? Because the linespeed only changes to 100 just before pass the curve itself. I've had them hitting 100as my cab goes under the A14 which I suppose would put the rear of the train around there.

Another vote for a 755/3 on electric, they really are something else when it comes to acceleration, I've clocked 0 - 100, uphill, in well under 2 minutes. 755/4 on diesel might also be quite high up there. They take a moment to get going but once they do they are off in a cloud of dust. Ironically a /3 on diesel is practically pedestrian compared to the rest of the family.

Railperf

Established Member
I just whack them open most of the time & always if behind schedule so they do.
Depends on driver (see above :D ) and conditions. I've seen 0 to 60mph in 27 seconds and 0 to 100mph in under 70 seconds on a 755/3 (electric mode) given the full beans departing Stowmarket non-stop towards Ipswich - which makes it by far - the fastest accelerating train in the UK. And measured with RAcelogic Vbox professional GPS timing gear too - not a Garmin!

I had a 755/4 given full power start from Colchester in torrential rain in electric mode. The traction electronics were working overtime to prevent wheelslip - which even occurred at 80mph - and despite that - it still beat a Class 360 timing recorded in dry conditions! Those Stadlers are phenomenal!

Rail Express’ table probably does this best.

Believe the fastest 0-60 EMU is a 345, followed by other likely suspects.
Rail Express is playing catchup - we cannot get the info to them fast enough!
Officially the 755/3's are fastest - 0 to 60mph in 27 seconds, followed by 755/4 (31 seconds from memory) and possibly 331 3-car units after that.
345's were 36 seconds (0 to 80mph in 1 minute!) , and the latest Class 720 seems to be achieving 0 to 60mph in 39 seconds - which is on a par with a Class 745/1.
Class 710's are not so easy to record reliable data on. LO drivers seem to start off in a low power setting for 5 to 10 seconds before giving them full beans - and there is nowhere to record a full 0 to 60mph on the LO network.

The 710's are a lot faster than the 172's for sure, but from 0 to 45mph..the 710's are only slightly faster than a 378.

Aren’t the Class 180 considered a quick off the mark multiple unit? (Well when they work)
Yes, they are a relatively quick DMU - 0 to 100mph in just over 3 mins! Quick when you consider that a 2+8 HST takes over 4 mins!
Class 222's are slightly quicker still - despite running in a slightly derated state compared to their original settings.
Shorter HST's are almost on a PAR with the 222's.

The Stadler Class 755/4 is the quickest self-powered train in diesel mode! 0 - 60mph in appx 45 seconds and 0 - 100mph in under 2.5 min!

Last edited:

Railperf

Established Member
In good fettle they'll leave a 222 standing, which themselves are pretty quick!
The data I have recorded for numerous Class 180 vs Class 222 on level track shows my best 222 runs to be faster than my best Class 180 runs. And I verified each time with the driver that all engines running and performing as expected.
The time difference is not much between then. So in the event either unit has an engine out or derate the performance loss is significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.