• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fatality at Leyland (25/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roversfan2001

Established Member
I've been informed someone has been hit by a train at Leyland. Commiserations to the family and the driver involved.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roversfan2001

Established Member
2B92 1556 Blackpool North to Buxton looks to be involved.

EDIT: My mistake; had seen this on platform 4 for just over 2 hours and arrived the same time the Virgin service referred to below passed on the platform next to p4.

Last edited:

Kendalian

Northbound Virgin service.

390 155

Anchored up on the RES platform at Preston at 1920 when I went past on the 1652 Edinburgh-Euston.

Serious hole in the nearside front end, BT Police swarming all over it.

Awful for all involved.

A Challenge

Established Member
390 155

Anchored up on the RES platform at Preston at 1920 when I went past on the 1652 Edinburgh-Euston.

Serious hole in the nearside front end, BT Police swarming all over it.

Awful for all involved.
This sounds horrible. I hope the driver and the family recover well (has the person survived?)

AndrewE

Established Member
Leyland seems prone to this... is there any reason why?

I was in the front coach of a Pendolino going through there one evening when there was a bang and a crunching underneath which reminded me of when we were on a train that hit a moose on the way from Narvik to Gallivare. Can't have been anything serious though as the journey was uninterrupted...

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Not a great afternoon/evening peak in the North in general since someone got hit by a train at Bramhall also around the same time. R.I.P to the affected.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not a great afternoon/evening peak in the North in general since someone got hit by a train at Bramhall also around the same time. R.I.P to the affected.

Yet only the other week we were all backslapping each other about how the number of fatalities had reduced - I think they may be on the increase again. :(

AndrewE

Established Member
Yet only the other week we were all backslapping each other about how the number of fatalities had reduced - I think they may be on the increase again. :(

less than a month ago, in fact - but only 1 reply to the initial post so not much backslapping... Maybe those in the know realised that it was already last year's news?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
less than a month ago, in fact - but only 1 reply to the initial post so not much backslapping... Maybe those in the know realised that it was already last year's news?

Or just that others understood how not to jinx it. ;)

I now refuse to talk about it, as every time I do it, it seems another one takes place within a couple of days. :(

Carlisle

Established Member
I suppose having a trained negotiator spot a vulnerable person early enough at smaller mostly unstaffed locations like Leyland isn't terribly likely without a significant increase in something like staffing or cctv/other monitoring technologies

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Leyland has a ticket office open during the day however, I take your point about staff being unable to do anything about a person who intends to carry out such an act, as the staff would be busy inside their office, oblivious to a person who could just be on the platform to get a train.

TimboM

Established Member
Leyland seems prone to this... is there any reason why?

I suspect Leyland is similar to Winsford where such events unfortunately occur. It's 2-track through there so the Pendolinos (and other fast passenger services) go through at 100mph right next to the platform, providing the "ideal" opportunity for those who want to end it in such a way.

1S72 1430 Euston-Glasgow was the service involved.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P51860/2017/07/25/advanced

roversfan2001

Established Member
I suspect Leyland is similar to Winsford where such events unfortunately occur. It's 2-track through there so the Pendolinos (and other fast passenger services) go through at 100mph right next to the platform, providing the "ideal" opportunity for those who want to end it in such a way.

1S72 1430 Euston-Glasgow was the service involved.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P51860/2017/07/25/advanced
It's 4 track through Leyland. Platforms 3 and 4 on the fast lines.

TimboM

Established Member
It's 4 track through Leyland. Platforms 3 and 4 on the fast lines.

Yes, but still 2x 2 tracks with platforms along the Fasts which was more my point (unlike say, Crewe, where through trains going at any speed are on the Fasts through the centre away from the platforms).

I believe that is what TimboM meant - platforms on two tracks so trains pass through the station at speed.
Yes, exactly.

roversfan2001

Established Member
I believe that is what TimboM meant - platforms on two tracks so trains pass through the station at speed.
Ah, it read as if TimboM meant it was 2 tracks though Leyland. Leyland also has platforms on the fast lines, something that seems to be a rarity these days (nearby Euxton Balshaw Lane doesn't).

TimboM

Established Member
Ah, it read as if TimboM meant it was 2 tracks though Leyland. Leyland also has platforms on the fast lines, something that seems to be a rarity these days (nearby Euxton Balshaw Lane doesn't).

There's a few in my neck of the woods - as well as Winsford, there's Hartford and Acton Bridge (to name a couple) with Pendolinos (and Voyagers/350s) racing right by the platforms at c.100 mph several times an hour.

Not sure about Hartford, but Acton Bridge is another one that sees more than its fair share of these unfortunate incidents - it's a pretty quiet station there too (usually unstaffed I think).

I guess there's not a lot that can be done about it though.

AndrewE

Established Member
There's a few in my neck of the woods - as well as Winsford, there's Hartford and Acton Bridge (to name a couple) with Pendolinos (and Voyagers/350s) racing right by the platforms at c.100 mph several times an hour.

Not sure about Hartford, but Acton Bridge is another one that sees more than its fair share of these unfortunate incidents - it's a pretty quiet station there too (usually unstaffed I think).

I guess there's not a lot that can be done about it though.

A reduction in suicides might be an unplanned benefit from quadruple tracking with only slow-line platforms though...
(and also from well-lit staffed stations, although I agree there's not a lot that one person in an office trying to sell tickets can do)

bramling

Veteran Member
A reduction in suicides might be an unplanned benefit from quadruple tracking with only slow-line platforms though...
(and also from well-lit staffed stations, although I agree there's not a lot that one person in an office trying to sell tickets can do)

There's only so much that can be done about it - London Underground has its fair share, and that's one of the railways that has the most staff and CCTV coverage. Just one of those facts of life we have to accept, deal with it when it happens, provide the best support to those directly affected, and move on.

TimboM

Established Member

Those stations I mentioned are on a stretch which is not feasible to be 4-tracked though - it's a bottle neck on the WCML and I'm sure it would be 4-track with platforms away from the Fasts if at all feasible. Probably the same for many other similar stations too.

There's only so much that can be done about it - London Underground has its fair share, and that's one of the railways that has the most staff and CCTV coverage. Just one of those facts of life we have to accept, deal with it when it happens, provide the best support to those directly affected, and move on.

Agreed - and also put the efforts into helping/supporting people in general before they even reach the station (or wherever). It'll never stop happening though, sadly.

AndrewE

Established Member
Those stations I mentioned are on a stretch which is not feasible to be 4-tracked though - it's a bottle neck on the WCML and I'm sure it would be 4-track with platforms away from the Fasts if at all feasible. Probably the same for other similar stations too.

Agreed - and also put the efforts into helping/supporting people in general before they even reach the station (or wherever). It'll never stop happening though, sadly.

...except that the LMS bought the land for 4-tracking in the 1930s, I believe, but the work never got done. Maybe the war intervened, or the funding to try to end the depression ran out. Anyway I think there is enough land to do the job, and most of it (distance, not cost!) will just be reinstating the goods lines - which became discontinuous loops before being removed altogether a couple of decades ago.

DerekC

Established Member
Something can be done by fencing off the fast line platforms and only allowing access to them when a train is actually going to stop there - as has been done at Wimbledon for one. Of course that only works if fast line trains stop only occasionally.

bramling

Veteran Member
and also put the efforts into helping/supporting people in general before they even reach the station (or wherever). It'll never stop happening though, sadly.

Yes in my view mental health support in this country is pretty abysmal. I'd also go as far as to say there are some pretty shocking attitudes towards such issues from some people - especially older generations. I have some experience of the latter acting as a pretty major roadblock to obtaining help for others, apparently for personal pride reasons.

People shouldn't be getting as far as a station platform - but as you say even with the best care and support I don't think the issue would ever go away.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Something can be done by fencing off the fast line platforms and only allowing access to them when a train is actually going to stop there - as has been done at Wimbledon for one. Of course that only works if fast line trains stop only occasionally.

The problem at a lot of places is that the centre island platform has a slow line on one side and a fast line on another (Leyland being an example of this). It could be done (P3/4 at LEY are rarely used) however. The main issue is, as has already been mentioned, the mental health system isn't effective at preventing people ever getting to the platform with the intention of ending their life.

Oxfordblues

You might have thought these events would be quickly forgotten, but I still remember one evening at Crewe witnessing the arrival of a Class 86-hauled train with the remains of a body on the buffer-beam. That was March 1967, over 50 years ago, but the image is still vivid in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.