• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fate of HST

Status
Not open for further replies.

destere

But if you ask a normal to name a type of "modern" British train (i.e. diesel or electric), they'd be more likely to say "Inter-City 125" than anything else.

You'd probably get the response of "I don't know" more than anything else.

That said, on the WCML you'd maybe get quite a few say a Pendolino. On the ECML you might get people saying Azuma in a few years. Those are both only down to the fact that they are actively marketed brands used by the current TOCs. If they stopped marketing them as such then the public will largely forget.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjmillsnun

Established Member
When was the last time anyone from a TOC called a HST a "Inter-City 125"?

If you're aged 35 or below you'll have no idea what an "Inter-City 125" is. And they're the ones bringing young children to preserved railways.

Considering the news media still call it the Intercity 125 I beg to differ. Many people do know them as the IC125 regardless of age

Example..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-335...h-speed-train-that-will-replace-intercity-125

First look inside high speed train that will replace InterCity 125
With a high speed service, sleek lines and modern technology, the InterCity 125 train was introduced to revamp the British rail network.
But that was more than four decades ago, and now its days are numbered.
A new train is being tested that will take over on some of Britain's busiest lines in the next few years.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Considering the news media still call it the Intercity 125 I beg to differ. Many people do know them as the IC125 regardless of age

Example..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-335...h-speed-train-that-will-replace-intercity-125

I would suggest that many people aged 35 or younger would have not bothered to read that. Unless you're actively interested in the train itself you don't care.

If the TOC's valued the "Inter-City 125" as a brand name they would be actively using it. As far as I can see they are not.

Last edited:

destere

Example..

That's a valid point. I suppose 1970s BR marketing has stuck. But again, it doesn't quantify much at all.

But if you ask a normal to name a type of "modern" British train (i.e. diesel or electric), they'd be more likely to say "Inter-City 125" than anything else.

However the crux of the issue is do people really care? Being able to name something doesn't mean anything more than simply being able to name it.

Last edited:

BR60062

To be honest. It will be a very sad times when the HST's are no longer operating on the mainline with the original Mk3's with the non-powered doors. Although the GTi's for GWR, the XC and the Scotrail ones will be around for a fair bit. I hope that the 125 group will gain a full length HST for nostalgia and also rebuild it to its original Valenta power units and also the original light clusters. Because this would be great for railtours and I would certainly have a ride on it as I grew up with them when they had the deafening turbo scream. As a kid, they did make my ears ring a bit but that was what made me loved the HST's :).

Brunel 1954

The HST's despite being 40 years old shouls be maintained even though they have been *******ised by BR and various operators. Initially they had 72 seats per coach and this has been gradually increased to the detriment of legroom. I am 6'3" and I recently had to travel on a FGW HST and the legroom was barely adequate and the seats gave me backache after only an hour. I would like to see the HST's go to operators who would refurbish them and go back to 72 seats per TS. I have always had a soft spot for the HST's partially due to the fact that I worked at Plymouth Laira in the Traincrew Office when Laira men started to learn how to drive them in 1979.

D365

Veteran Member
To be honest. It will be a very sad times when the HST's are no longer operating on the mainline with the original Mk3's with the non-powered doors. Although the GTi's for GWR, the XC and the Scotrail ones will be around for a fair bit. I hope that the 125 group will gain a full length HST for nostalgia and also rebuild it to its original Valenta power units and also the original light clusters.

Are you really saying that replacement of the slam doors will make you sad above all else?

And I doubt that a full length set will be permanently preserved (certainly not 2+9).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I would suggest that many people aged 35 or younger would have not bothered to read that. Unless you're actively interested in the train itself you don't care.

If the TOC's valued the "Inter-City 125" as a brand name they would be actively using it. As far as I can see they are not.

I don't really see that it's got anything much to do with how the TOC's market it. I don't recall London Transport actively marketing the "Routemaster", yet it seems to be a well known enough name to the type of person (of whatever age) who takes an interest in his surroundings.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I don't really see that it's got anything much to do with how the TOC's market it. I don't recall London Transport actively marketing the "Routemaster", yet it seems to be a well known enough name to the type of person (of whatever age) who takes an interest in his surroundings.

That's the point though Rob, a lot of people only pay attention to things that interest them. A lot of people are simply not interested in trains or buses but it doesn't mean that they are not intelligent.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's the point though Rob, a lot of people only pay attention to things that interest them. A lot of people are simply not interested in trains or buses but it doesn't mean that they are not intelligent.

But by the same token, there are always people who have a general interest in technical and mechanical things, and dare I say it, a fair proportion of those taking their children to preserved railways are these. The IC125 has about the right level of recognition and historical significance to whet this appetite.

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
But by the same token, there are always people who have a general interest in technical and mechanical things, and dare I say it, a fair proportion of those taking their children to preserved railways are these. The IC125 has about the right level of recognition and historical significance to whet this appetite.

I concur and that's how my Dad was with me and that's how I was with my children. However in my experience the vast majority of visitors just want a day out on a steam train. Those who have more of an interest in engineering are likely to go to the NRM at York.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I concur and that's how my Dad was with me and that's how I was with my children. However in my experience the vast majority of visitors just want a day out on a steam train. Those who have more of an interest in engineering are likely to go to the NRM at York.

And for those, there are, and will continue to be plenty of steam locos around to satisfy that need. That said, I'm sure that there are enough of the more mechanically/historically minded punters to justify a couple of the longer lines having some HST vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.