• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favorite Deltic

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanf

Having spent an enjoyable day at Shildon apart from the rain i was just wondering what everyones favorite one was when they were all in service.Mine was Meld although i can't think why now.

Alan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Royal Scots Grey, simply because it's the boss. After all those years, withdrawl and scrapping, I think it's quite an achievement to be the only one left registered for mainline usage.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Can I ask how people develop a favourite of a class of engine? Surely all of them are identical (apart from some liveries and nameplates / numbers)?

EDIT - Ignoring my contribution above, I only think that because it's survived the longest!

alanf

Can I ask how people develop a favourite of a class of engine? Surely all of them are identical (apart from some liveries and nameplates / numbers)?

EDIT - Ignoring my contribution above, I only think that because it's survived the longest!

I cant answer that but many moons ago my mates and i all had our favourites and a lot of people at Shildon had one. The man who served me on the DPS stall told me that Meld was very popular amongst their customers

Alan

Harlesden

I've just seen a picture of a line-up of Deltics (via a link from a Deltic website) and one of them is blue. Is it correct to assume that the lack of a yellow front would prevent it being allowed to run on a main line?

deltic1989

Established Member
Harlesden:825688 said:
I've just seen a picture of a line-up of Deltics (via a link from a Deltic website) and one of them is blue. Is it correct to assume that the lack of a yellow front would prevent it being allowed to run on a main line?
You would be referring to 'DELTIC' or 'DP1' she unfortunately isn't registered for mainline use and if she was it would be a shame to lose the speed whiskers to a yellow warning panel. I think the only reason 'Nels' has such a following is because of the old Lima models in two tone green with no warning panels. I have to say my fave would be 'Nimbus', if you believe the story its the Deltic that refused to die.

NIMBUS

Alive and kicking, thank you very much! :lol:

My loco was 21, "Argyll and Sutherland Highlander" - I just loved the massive nameplates.

As for them all being the same, not at all. Lots of physical detail differences between different members and very different performance characteristics between locos. RSG, for example, always seemed to perform at more than 3,300hp and has always taken off quite spritely from a stand, whereas some of the others lumbered their way up to line speed.

12CSVT

Established Member
You would be referring to 'DELTIC' or 'DP1' she unfortunately isn't registered for mainline use and if she was it would be a shame to lose the speed whiskers to a yellow warning panel. I think the only reason 'Nels' has such a following is because of the old Lima models in two tone green with no warning panels. I have to say my fave would be 'Nimbus', if you believe the story its the Deltic that refused to die.

It is unlikely that the prototype DELTIC would be brought up to mainline standards in the foreseeable future - it is too histoically important to be altered to conform to modern standards, and many components are believed to be dummies. I think we should all be content with five operational production Deltics.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
55017 - The Durham Light Infantry ( for purely sentimental, north eastern reasons)

but in fairness ALL of them are my favorite, they were the first locomotive i ever travelled behind ( as a small baby - my dad tells me it was 55005 south from Durham to York and 55009 north from York to Durham. I was less than 2 weeks old!!)

My earliest railway related memory is standing in my cot in the house we i lived in at Newton Hall in durham watching a Deltic head nothbound from Durham station. It was massive, a dirty blue colour and loud!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm intrigued to know what the story is now.

I dont know know the full story but there is some suggestion that this locomotive was not scrapped when it is suggested it was. However there seem to be pictures showing the scrapping on the advertised date! ( if that is the right loco! ;))

I think it is a bit of an urban myth!

deltic1989

Established Member
Officially 55020 'Nimbus' was scrapped on the 5th January 1980, and as said photographs seem to back this up. The story appears in W.B. Herbert's book Railway ghosts and phantoms, where a spotted claims to have seen 'Nimbus' working on this day, he knew that she was supposed to be 'dead' and did some research and was assured she was scrapped when she was supposed to have been . There are theories such as mistaken identity or identity theft (so to speak ) , and there is a ghost theory. Whatever it was even if its a myth its still a good story.
As a foot note the above story relates to the locomotive, our fellow forum member 'NIMBUS' appears to be alive and well I'm happy to report.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I bet it was secreted in the Strategic reserve and it was just put about that it had been scrapped - like the other Deltics, in fact, ready for the day the, er, wires come down.

Again.

:-/

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I bet it was secreted in the Strategic reserve and it was just put about that it had been scrapped - like the other Deltics, in fact, ready for the day the, er, wires come down.

Again.

:-/

is that the same day the balloon goes up and the chips are down?

the event at Shildon was a really good day out!

Harlesden

I've enjoyed a video of a Deltic being started up from cold, but I can't seem to find one of a Deltic blowing its horn. Any recommendations?

harz99

55009 Alycidon; had many fast and furious trips behind her commuting from PBO-KGX on both the overnight mixed sleepers and daytime York semis.

4SRKT

Established Member
55001 St Paddy for me. It was the Hornby Dublo 3-rail model so my affections transferred [all too] briefly to the real thing. TBH I preferred all the Finsbury Park machines as I find the regimental names a bit cumbersome in comparison. As a York man this may seem odd, but we got 'em in the end!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Just found the record of when I cabbed 55013 (see post 7) - 10th August 1974. Many thanks to my mother for recording the occasion!

Established Member
55022 for me, as it's the only one I've rode behind. Went on the Norseman tour back in September 2010, Kings Cross - Newcastle then back via the Sunderland loop. Was certainly an enjoyable day :)

PUFFINGBILLY

As with the Spitfire, the E Type Jaguar, The Beatles, the original or that that has not been copied is always the best.
Therefore the original big blue prototype.

Johnnie2Sheds

PINZA for me folks. First one I saw at Grantham in 1971. She treated me to a brilliant and totally unforgettable fireworks display several years later accelerating HARD from a 20mph TSR south of Newark Northgate in the dead of night. The damn thing was shooting flame and crud out of the roof like ive never seen before or since.( I was out the front window to my toes :D )
At the end, I heard it had burst on an overnight towards the Doss, I was in the area and was gutted to see it on the blocks with oil all down the side of it. It was its last train I think.

Minilad

Established Member
Cracking day at the ELR Deltic Gathering event. Missed out on 16 but had the rest.
Even the Mrs said they sound awesome !!
Big thumbs up to the driver on 19 on the 1246 Rawtenstall - Bury who certainly knew where the on button was !!

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg