• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite LUL Stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple simon

I liked the COP 1st / 3rd composites, and the trailers with the half-moon decorative glass on the seat backs. These all had a character which smacked of a real railway, rather than (beware: horrid terminology coming up) bog-standard utilitarian urban metros.

To my ears the 1967 and 1972 stocks made all the right noises whilst the 1960 stock trailers were much more comfortable than present-day tube sized trains, but the A stock had the best seats, especially as I could have a lay down on the triple seats. (Mind you the rough ride at high speed also meant that I had to beware of falling off! :( )

I think the trains I would have liked the most however would have been the LNWR Oerlikon dc electrics on the North London lines. I understand that they were the most extraordinarily comfortable electric MU trains in London.

If we include locomotive hauled trains then it would have been a choice between the Pullmans on the Met Line (these even reached Aldgate! - sometimes) and the 1910 LTSR Southend Corridor Express trains which travelled over the District Line tracks to Ealing Broadway. I don't know a lot about them; such as if they offered 1st class accommodation, or if it was possible to walk through them (even between the carriages) but they did have working toilets which flushed in to retention tanks so in that respect were both way ahead of their time and very convenient = in a way no other Underground train has ever been. :)

Simon

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
After the many comments on my Favourite DMU,EMU or DEMU post, I decided to create a favourite LUL stock post.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My favourites are S stock and 1995 stock

I have to say most stocks are good in their own ways. Always liked the 62 stock myself, the silver interior combined with the red/black/silver moquette somehow set these trains apart. C stock is superb to drive, partly due to its unpredictability. A stock were also nice trains, although never quite so nice after refurbishment.

Of the more recent stocks, 92 stock actually has quite a lot going for it from a user's point of view, a homely interior, and actually not bad from the driver's point of view. Many drivers like them because they're so unreliable that quite often they find their train is cancelled because not enough trains are available for service! From a maintenance point of view these trains are a disaster, although in their defence they were built at a time of rapid technological change, and pioneered very many new features which were in their infancy at the time.

95 stock is currently superbly reliable, having reached the stage in its life where everyone has got to know the trains well, and most teething issues have been resolved. From a driver's point of view they are very good for defect finding and handling, and will almost always manage to get back to the depot when something does break. Perhaps strangely, the 96 stock has never been quite so good in this respect, and combined with a less pleasant interior colour scheme, and some niggling issues like a silly 'M' door design which is always giving grief, I've never quite been so fond of these trains.

Have to give a mention to the 09 stock, which is not a bad train at all. Unfortunately, by contrast I find the S stock horrible, one of the worst designed trains ever in my view.

Muzer

Established Member
One thing that all LUL stock has in common appears to be comfortable seats - sometimes significantly moreso than on the mainline in some cases, at least as far as padding thickness goes. This always somewhat amazes me...

507 001

Established Member
My favourite has to be the 73 stock.
It just seems to be the best all rounder to me.

harz99

1938 tube stock and the A class surface stock for me.

Worked on Q stock briefly on the New Cross/Gate - Whitechapel Met line, and CO/CP stock on the H&C/Circle but didn't much like either.

LS-Colin

Very difficult to say just 1 favourite type of train. On todays system I would have to say the D78 stock on the District line. Going back a few years it would again be the District line - the red trains from I believe 1949. It certainly seems that with all the latest trains the seats get both narrower and thinner (less depth and padding). No doubt the next generation of tube trains will be very basic plastic bucket seats as can be found on the New York subway system.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Youd be better asking me which stock I dont like, to which I would answer D Stock, never have done TBH, AND WHILST i find the 95 on the Northern a bit bland and a bit like a tube version of a dulsvill class 334 which are pritty common round here I like the rest and particularly enjoy the 92 stock which im sad to hear is so poor in terms of reliabilitty etc. Not tried the S Stock yet but hope to do so in a couple weeks.↲

Billy Hicks

For sheer nostalgia, probably the 1959 stock. As the likes of the JLE, ticket barriers and Oyster cards transformed the tube in the years surrounding the millennium, the rattling, clunky, wheezing sounds of the '59 stock were one of the last links left to the tube system of my childhood by the time they bowed out. Looking back it is absolutely astonishing that they survived as long as they did, and I think it's a shame they're not as loved or respected as the (admittedly awesome but well before my time) '38 stock.

The 1992 stock has always been appealing for me, particularly after the recent refurbishment, but right now I'm loving the 1972 stock while they last.

fgwrich

Established Member
While I do rather like the 1972 stock on the Bakerloo - probably the closest thing to the older Underground now, and had some particular fondness for the A Stock, I think my newfound favourite for some time has been the D78s. Very well designed, comfortable, and the refurbishment as really bought out the best in them. Shame they will be leaving us really - they have character unlike the sterile and dull S7/S8s, for a life up north as D Trains. I hope at least 1 or 2 are preserved, I rather liked the LT Orange / Brown Moquette too!

Mikey C

Established Member
For sheer nostalgia, probably the 1959 stock. As the likes of the JLE, ticket barriers and Oyster cards transformed the tube in the years surrounding the millennium, the rattling, clunky, wheezing sounds of the '59 stock were one of the last links left to the tube system of my childhood by the time they bowed out. Looking back it is absolutely astonishing that they survived as long as they did, and I think it's a shame they're not as loved or respected as the (admittedly awesome but well before my time) '38 stock.

The 1992 stock has always been appealing for me, particularly after the recent refurbishment, but right now I'm loving the 1972 stock while they last.

The 59s weren't actually that old by the time they left the Northern Line, only about 40 years old, which is part for the course. They felt older as they were in pretty original condition, without the major refurbishment the other Underground stock got from the 90s onwards

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I remember very well my first journey into the redeveloped Northern Line station at London Bridge which was just opened but not fully finished but still served by 1959 stock. I believe it was only a week or 2 after that 95s starting coming in. Im sad I never did more 1959 stock bashing.

TheNewNo2

I do like D Stock, a bit sad to see them on the way out. Nice interior. Of the deep level... I quite like the art deco of the 72s, but not enough to make up for them generally being grotty.

Domh245

Established Member
I know it is a controversial choice, but I am quite keen of the now departed C stock. They weren't the most comfortable train, but they had character, and I liked that character. That and the wide seats at some car ends, which was always nice if you got them, chance to slouch back after a hard days work.

Rick1984

Current Bakerloo. As mentioned they have an art decorated feel.

Forgot about the 1938. My local train living on IOW. Can't beat a 70 year old train!

Last edited:

hassaanhc

Established Member
I'm more of a fan of the recent stock, so the S, 09, 95 and 96. The D, 72 and 92 stock isn't too bad, but the 73 stock I've come to dislike. Maybe it is more due to the slow nature of the line. Quite liked the long-departed A stock as well, but the C stock I was very glad to see the back of.

CC 72100

Established Member
I'm not going to go anywhere near calling it my favourite, but the S7 stock on the circle is a MASSIVE improvement over the old C stock. It was rather lovely not to trundle around zone 1 on a greenhouse - in my experience, the C stock suffering worst with getting rather stuffy then the D or A stock.

Having done S8 on the Met from Hillingdon today I'm still not convinced on it's layout for that, but on the Circle - significant improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.