• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite LUL Stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Wood

After the many comments on my Favourite DMU,EMU or DEMU post, I decided to create a favourite LUL stock post.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My favourites are S stock and 1995 stock

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
After the many comments on my Favourite DMU,EMU or DEMU post, I decided to create a favourite LUL stock post.
My favourites are S stock and 1995 stock

The speed and acceleration of tghe 92 stock takes some beating. It also has good visibility with its wrap-around windows.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The older district line trains where if you are lucky you can still get seats facing (or back) to the direction of travel, rather than sideways seating. Are the new walkthrough trains on the met line this or are they like the electric overground stock which is all side ways seating. ?

James Wood

The older district line trains where if you are lucky you can still get seats facing (or back) to the direction of travel, rather than sideways seating. Are the new walkthrough trains on the met line this or are they like the electric overground stock which is all side ways seating. ?

There like the Overground trains.

Established Member
There like the Overground trains.

They're not. The trains in the Met to Uxbridge etc do have a mix of seating, some facing / back to direction of travel and some sideways.

As for favourite, anything I can actually get on, but the old Met line stock proved their worth for over 50 years.

Last edited:

James Wood

They're not. The trains in the Met to Uxbridge etc do have a mix of seating, some facing / back to direction of travel and some sideways.

As for favourite, anything I can actually get on, but the old Met line stock proved their worth for over 50 years.

Oh sorry! Ive only been on the S7 stock and until now I didn't know the difference.
Oh sorry! Ive only been on the S7 stock and until now I didn't know the difference.

And sorry for my bad grammar.

Established Member
Oh sorry! Ive only been on the S7 stock and until now I didn't know the difference. And sorry for my bad grammar.

Just having a little joke, no need to apologise about the stock. As for the grammar though - unforgivable ;) But then spill chequer can catch anyone out.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
C69/77 stock. Loathed by most but they did their job and they did it well for 40+ years. Sorely missed on the SSR - the S7s just aren't the same!

In terms of deep tube stock, can't beat the 72TS. Bouncy seats (especially if you get the transverse seats in the DMs!), good noise and none of this modern rubbish. <D

Established Member
1967TS for deep level, C69/77 for sub-surface. Both sorely missed! Favourite stock still in service is the 1972TS on the Bakerloo.

futureA

Three favorites are:

1- S Stock. I'm sure most people will agree they are absolutely brilliant.
2- 2009 Stock. They are nice spacious trains with great acceleration.
3- 1992 Stock. They get a lot of stick but they were the first 'modern' stock and have nice big windows and good acceleration.

Last edited:

bicbasher

Established Member
S8 stock on the Met and the D Stock. Will miss those when S7's replace them on the District line.

CatfordCat

CO/CP stock

300px-CO_Stock_at_Barking.jpg

8J

The 67 stock were my fav deep level and sub surface the A60's hands down... love those motors! Currently in service the 72 stock for deep level with 73ts a close second and D stock for sub surface. Loathe the 1995 stock but don't mind the 1996 stock oddly enough. 2009 stock fly into stations so don't mind them. Just a shame they're pig ugly!

Mikey C

Established Member
The S stock are a vast improvement on their predecessors, though the A stock was pretty iconic.

The extra room of the 2009 over the 1967 is welcome (the carriages are fractionally taller which is notable near the door) but has too small seats.

1995 stock is my favourite 'tube' stock, as the 1996 has those silly perch seats, and the 1992 seats are too low (and it's a greenhouse in the sun).

PeterY

Established Member
I really enjoy the S8's. Starting from Watford Met, nearly always guaranteed a facing seat and hopefully a Metro. The facing and backwards seats line up with the windows, another good design.

Albeit slower than using LM from Watford Jct, the S8's have a much better ambience and don't usually get quite as crowded.:D

I did enjoy riding the A60's unless I was in the car with the compressor.:lol:

Nym

Established Member
Of the stocks currently in service, my favourites are the 1992 and D stock.

I do miss the 1967 stock, as these were the first tube stock I ever rode on, and I loved the sound of the motors on this.

Then ride on the 1972TS, exactly the same motors, RPA, and some of the same compressors...

Last edited:

Kristofferson

The 1995 stock are probably the best of a bad lot in terms of modern trains on the deep lines. I could rant for pages about the hot, cramped, unreliable 1992 and 2009 stock.

The S stock is just fantastic. It's like being on a mainline train when it comes to comfort and space.

1938 Tube Stock for me. Loved CO/CP as well and I miss the A stock especially bouncing over the crossings at Neasden.

Nym

Established Member
1938 Tube Stock for me. Loved CO/CP as well and I miss the A stock especially bouncing over the crossings at Neasden.

What was up with the O and P stock before conversion to CO/CP? Granted the metadynes where heavy, but regenerative braking and continuously variable control, that must have been smooth...

And the A Stock is quite fun going over the crossings, joined the mains from Watford North Curve and that was quite fun :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
What was up with the O and P stock before conversion to CO/CP? Granted the metadynes where heavy, but regenerative braking and continuously variable control, that must have been smooth...

The Metadyne equipment became unreliable from the late 1940s and the regenerative braking could not be used generally - it was banned on the Circle and District and could only be used at a reduced rate on the H&C, whereas the PCM equipment fitted in place was extremely reliable. It had been used on tube stock from 1935 onwards so it was not an unknown quantity either.

A first train* was converted as a test in 1955 and two years later they decided to do the entire Circle Line fleet - it took just over a year to do; that involved 68 of the 262 DMs originally built, so only a bit over 25% of the fleet was converted.

*13197 + 013087 + 14056 + 13056 + 14197; after conversion the motors were renumbered so it became 53197 + 013087 + 54056 + 53056 + 54197.

Status
Not open for further replies.