• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite municipal/PTE livery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Basically what it says on the tin. It's a question I've had rattling around in my head for a few days and I thought I'd throw it out here. Should generate a raft of interesting responses. :)

My #1 choice has to be, to the surprise of no-one who knows me well lol, Strathclyde Transport Orange/Black (or Red/Black). Bold, brash and distinctive, it is quintessentially Glaswegian in spirit (linked images by Flickr's Mike Rhodes and eb2010 respectively). While for some an acquired taste, it is for others the Glasgow bus livery.

Over to the rest of you. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pit_buzzer

Doncaster transport, Red with purple and white stripes. Replaced by South Yorkshire pte coffee and cream after just over 2 years but celebrated ever since by heritage repaints by the pte and first.
Now come full circle with firsts Doncaster's red buses livery

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The Newcastle inspired Tyne and Wear PTE scheme as worn by the PTE, United and Northern vehicles (credit to photographer); a smart, clean evolution of Newcastle Corpy (or it was when newly painted)

domcoop7

For me (for nostalgic reasons) Lancaster City Transport. I can't work out how to link to somebody else's Flickr though like other posters have above to show an example of it!

Strathclyder

Established Member
For me (for nostalgic reasons) Lancaster City Transport. I can't work out how to link to somebody else's Flickr though like other posters have above to show an example of it!
The way I usually do it is I link the URL(s) like so...

...with at least one blank space seperating it from any surrounding lines of text. To keep things tidy, I cut the URL if it has more than the profile I.D and random image number (see attached image for reference). That way, it should appear as a hyper-linked textbox complete with a thumbnail of the image once you hit 'post reply'. Hope that helps. :)

(Linked image copyright of David Devoy)

Screenshot 2021-03-28 at 21.47.59.png

Last edited:

domcoop7

The way I usually do it is I link the URL(s) like so...

...with at least one blank space seperating it from any other line of text. To keep things tidy, I cut the URL if it has more than the profile I.D and random image number (see attached image for reference). That way, it should appear as a hyper-linked textbox complete with a thumbnail of the image. Hope that helps. :)

(Linked image copyright of David Devoy)

View attachment 93241
Thanks!

jonesy3001

Established Member
The original GM buses colours, white orange and brown, hopefully they'll bring it back after the franchising announcement.

busesrusuk

I always liked the simple lines of the WMPTE livery as shown here:
Preserved WMPTE 4738 Aug 14 | Lathalmond 2014 | keith wood | Flickr

The updated version for their Metrobuses was also quite smart:
Preserved WMPTE 2462 Apr18 | Spring gathering, Cobham. Apr 2… | Flickr

The blue version of Merseyside:
410A2879 sized 6x4LR | Merseyside running day Sept 2019 | keith wood | Flickr

The best municipal livery to me was Hyndburn. Unusual choice of colours but looked very smart (not my pic):
Hyndburn Atlantean 182 | Accrington Bus Station - 16/7/1987 | Flickr

I like blue buses!!!

theblackwatch

Established Member
I liked all the PTE liveries from what I'd describe as 'my era' (mid-80s) - they all seemed quite tasteful, even Strathclyde's bright orange. It was confusing though when West Riding and West Yorkshire Road Car NBC vehicles started to appear in West Yorkshire PTE colours of verona green & cream!

Statto

Established Member
Merseyside PTE revised Green/Cream/Brown livery, the adding of Brown made it a classy livery

GMPTE revised livery of White/Orange/Brown, again adding more Orange & Brown gave their buses a better look than the White/Orange

Just to add, Wallasey Corporation, the Black trim went down well with the Lemon/Cream livery

gka472l

I'm biased but Merseyside verona green/jonquil (before the brown was added) and the blue/cream Wirral division variation......

Mal

Edinburgh Coorporation was clean and classic (as I am biased of course!), but I think Halifax was a classy livery as well.

For me it has to be Merseyside PTE livery. I always remember the Nationals and and the Marshall bodied Swifts at St Helens which always looked good. It always depends what you brought up with livery wise or where you lived.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
For me it has to be MPTE livery always remember the national's and and the Marshall bodied swifts at St Helens always looked good.It always depends what you brought up with livery wise or where you lived.

That is true - it's subjective. I have to say that I didn't feel the love for the green and cream combos of Merseyside, West Yorkshire or Cleveland Transit. Also, whilst the GMPTE with the brown was an improvement on the Selnec/GMT livery, I probably preferred the final GM livery of orange and white before it was broken up.

Although before my time, Rhymney Valley with its mustard yellow and brown really couldn't have been more 70s if they'd painted a kipper tie and sideburns on the livery!

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I’ve always been quite fond of the 1990s Reading Buses livery.

busesrusuk

I’ve always been quite fond of the 1990s Reading Buses livery.

I preferred the original Maroon and white livery! Looked good on the Metropolitans, Metro's and Titan's..

For those keen on the Merseyside PTE livery:
410A2993 sized 6x4 | Merseyside running day September 2019 | keith wood | Flickr
Preserved Merseyside PTE 6036 Sep19 | Pier Head, Liverpool, … | Flickr

Whilst a couple of West Midlands Municipals that are quite unusual:
Nat Ex West Midlands 4601 Aug18 | Buses festival, Gaydon. Au… | Flickr
Preserved West Midlands Travel 2989 Aug18 | Buses Festival, … | Flickr

The heritage liveries applied by First to some of its vehicles resulted in some pleasing outcomes that looked good on modern vehicles. This one is Leicester - very traditional livery but looked good on their buses:
First Leicester 32646 Sept 14 | First Leicester depot, Sept … | Flickr
Preserved Leicester 50 Sep 14 | Leicester running day, Sept … | Flickr

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
@busesrusuk Indeed, traditional liveries on modern buses seem to go really well together. The now-erstwhile ex-London Gemini-bodied B7TL 32657 (LK55 ACO; destroyed by fire in the past week) looked particularly pleasing in Strathclyde Orange/Black (granted, with the later Strathclyde's Buses logos). Beileve it was chosen as it's rounded gasket glazed windows resembled that of the Atlanteans of times past. Both attached images are my own.

48713747507_1237f287ed_b.jpg 48900309576_4864d83411_b.jpg

Last edited:

busesrusuk

@busesrusuk Indeed, traditional liveries on modern buses seem to work together really rather well. The now-erstwhile ex-London Gemini-bodied B7TL 32657 (LK55 ACO; destroyed by fire in the past week) looked particularly pleasing in Strathclyde Orange/Black (granted, with the later Strathclyde's Buses logos). Beileve it was chosen as it's rounded gasket glazed windows resembled that of the Atlanteans of times past. Both attached images are my own.

View attachment 93375 View attachment 93376
Nice pics, but for me the best of the three Glasgow buses is the one in the GGPTE green/white/yellow. Back in the day Glasgow was way to far to go so missed seeing that livery in real life. When I did make the trip orange was everywhere and on a damp, miserable day it did nothing to enhance the cityscape (in my eyes anyway). Its a real shame this bus is now gone - where was the fire? I was hoping to get back up to Glasgow (sooner rather than later!) to have another crack at getting pics of the heritage buses but also all the new coaches :)

Bristol LHS

I agree with Tyne and Wear PTE.

I also have soft spots for 1980s Burnley and Pendle (fond memories of seeing them in Skipton, where they seemed quite exotic to my North East and Yorkshire eyes).

also liked Cleveland Transit of the same era, bright and crisp.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Nice pics, but for me the best of the three Glasgow buses is the one in the GGPTE green/white/yellow. Back in the day Glasgow was way to far to go so missed seeing that livery in real life. When I did make the trip orange was everywhere and on a damp, miserable day it did nothing to enhance the cityscape (in my eyes anyway). Its a real shame this bus is now gone - where was the fire? I was hoping to get back up to Glasgow (sooner rather than later!) to have another crack at getting pics of the heritage buses but also all the new coaches :)
It was parked at Caledonia depot for the night when the fire broke out. As for the livery itself, it's very much a subjective thing as another user mentioned. I can't deny that the GGPTE liveries (there were at least 3 variants of the basic scheme, 37751 carries the 'PTE1' base variant) are distinctive and smart, but Orange/Black has always had the edge for me personally. And to be fair, Glasgow's prevailing weather does no bus livery any favours and detracts from the cityscape as a whole, even SPTE Orange/Black and Central Scottish Red/Cream.

175mph

On Moderation
My favorite 'municipal' livery is that of Cardiff Bus, the green and orange colour combo.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Status
Not open for further replies.