• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ferries / Cruise Ships in Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddenm

Currently in the Port of Leith there are two P&O Cross Channel ferries moored up because of reduced demand due to COVID-19 and a number of Fred Olson cruise ships are in Rosyth. One of the cruise ships this morning has now left for Amsterdam according to Marine Radar.

Does anybody know when the P&O of other Fred Olson ships are due to leave?

20200916_084309.jpg
Image shows MV Amsterdam leaving Rosyth port.

Screenshot_20200916-092545_Gallery.jpg
Image shows Pride of Burgundy in Leith Dock.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Appears that the Pride of Canterbury is today heading back to the Dover Straits- amazing that the ferries ended up there and not a closer port

BayPaul

Established Member
Fred Olsen are planning to start sailing from March / April, so their ships are likely to be mainly in the Forth until then.

BayPaul

Established Member
Appears that the Pride of Canterbury is today heading back to the Dover Straits- amazing that the ferries ended up there and not a closer port
I couldn't work it out. Difficult to see how the port fee saving could possibly be less than the fuel, especially considering that they were bussing crew up from Dover every week or so. Tilbury is also Forth Ports, so you would have thought they could have got a similar deal there

Iskra

Established Member
CC693027-5C51-43F4-9891-5455B7D02AA0.jpegQueen Mary 2 off Teignmouth yesterday, I spotted her thanks to her different silhouette compared to the 2 cruise ships keeping her company

route101

Established Member
Noticed them yesterday, theres also a few berthed up in Glasgow, near Braehead.

BayPaul

Established Member
The UK has been a very good place for doing crew disembarkations when the lines were struggling to get their crew home. Not only were the authorities much more cooperative than many other countries, but also in the UK there is no need for a crewmember to have a visa to disembark a ship, whilst in the Schengen area this is normally needed. Hence why we have had lots of unusual Cruise ships dotted around our coasts!

Established Member
View attachment 83661Queen Mary 2 off Teignmouth yesterday, I spotted her thanks to her different silhouette compared to the 2 cruise ships keeping her company
Nice picture. The other two are P&O's Ventura and Azura. Seen them all plenty of times coming out of Southampton when I have been over the the Isle of Wight. Certainly interesting watching them on Ships AIS going off Weymouth, Bournemouth and Teignmouth while they are not in port at the moment.

Scotrail12

Noticed them yesterday, theres also a few berthed up in Glasgow, near Braehead.

Yes - 3 Azamara cruises ships are in Braehead. It's kinda cool to see cruise ships in Glasgow, if it wasn't for the Erskine Bridge, maybe we could get more here.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Yes - 3 Azamara cruises ships are in Braehead. It's kinda cool to see cruise ships in Glasgow, if it wasn't for the Erskine Bridge, maybe we could get more here.
larger ships aren't just restricted by the air draft at the Erskine Bridge; even at the entrance to Braehead dock (where the river widens slightly) anything longer than the Azamara ships would have issues in turning around safely (big Cruise liners are longer than the Clyde is wide)

philthetube

Established Member
If they really wanted to get them there then a couple of tugs would get them out easily enough

jopsuk

Veteran Member
it would be a very long tow in reverse- but then as previously pointed out the longer ships wouldn't fit through Erskine anyway. The solution of having a cruise terminal at Greenock is sensible

BayPaul

Established Member
If they really wanted to get them there then a couple of tugs would get them out easily enough
Ugh no - long tows astern are not pleasant at all. Large (>300m) cruise ships routinely do 5 miles astern going into Dublin under their own power. Up to 300m there is just enough room to swing at the berth.

Swanny200

Boudicca, Braemar, Balmoral, Black Watch, Rotterdam and Amsterdam are all showing docked at Rosyth, all Fred Olsen. The Braemar was refused docking and disembarking of passengers due to the pandemic at the beginning of March after some of the passengers tested positive when they got back to Canada, Cuba was the only country that let the ship dock and passengers travel onwards.

The 3 Azamara ships are at Braehead, the Pursuit, Quest and Journey, since May/June, I believe, maybe a long time before they get any use again.

If Pride Of Canterbury is going to be freight only, I wonder if it will replace the European Seaway and if it does, if the Seaway ends up back at Cairnryan full time

EDIT: The boudicca and Blackwatch have been retired from the F.O fleet replaced by the Amsterdam and Rotterdam so I assume they will go from there for sale or scrap seeing as they are over 40 years old

Last edited:

david737

EDIT: The boudicca and Blackwatch have been retired from the F.O fleet replaced by the Amsterdam and Rotterdam so I assume they will go from there for sale or scrap seeing as they are over 40 years old

According to the Fred Oslen FB group the Boudicca and Black Watch have been sold to a Turkish company for use as accommodation ships and will be leaving Rosyth soon.

davetheguard

Established Member
Queen Mary 2 off Teignmouth yesterday, I spotted her thanks to her different silhouette compared to the 2 cruise sh

There were even more vessels about on 10th September: this is the view from Dawlish on that date.

DSC06316.JPG

OmniCity999

Established Member
I couldn't work it out. Difficult to see how the port fee saving could possibly be less than the fuel, especially considering that they were bussing crew up from Dover every week or so. Tilbury is also Forth Ports, so you would have thought they could have got a similar deal there
Tilbury is pretty busy, with Spirit of Adventure, SAGA's new ship joining end of this week, start of next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.