• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW ‘ticket price scandal‘

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
History of the Class 180
Was watching this this morning. 4:20 the narrator mentions a ‘ticket price scandal’ with FGW. Is this the 11% hike in Advance fares? I can’t find much else to support the idea of a ‘scandal’

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
When was the film originally aired?

Was the comment anything to do with the discontinuation of cheap day returns a few years ago for many journeys originating from stations on lines such as the Cotswold Line?

The alternative higher priced ticket products would effectively have represented a significant increase in ticket prices for some passengers.

Bayum

Established Member
When was the film originally aired?

Was the comment anything to do with the discontinuation of cheap day returns a few years ago for many journeys originating from stations on lines such as the Cotswold Line?

The alternative higher priced ticket products would effectively have represented a significant increase in ticket prices for some passengers.
About an hour ago today. It was a general comment. I’ll see if I can quote it.
“Problems continued to persist though, with general mechanics and also a safety concern with passenger doors shutting too quickly trapping people inside. These many issues adding to FGW’s tarnished reputation alongside signal and track work maintenance that caused severe delays and a ticket price scandal that almost resulted in legal action by passengers against First Group…”

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They hiked fares in the Thames Valley under the "fares basket system" and introduced illegal "standard fares" (which got them in hot water with DfT) and rebranded Off Peak fares as Super Off Peak while adding hefty restrictions, making way for a more expensive Off Peak.

I'm not sure what else they did, but it wouldn't surprise me if they got up to a lot more than that

Haywain

Veteran Member
They may have made unpopular changes but ‘scandal’ is a bit excessive.

father_jack

"FGW" finished 21-09-16 and 180s have been finished on FGW many years before that, so heaven knows what the video maker refers to.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
They may have made unpopular changes but ‘scandal’ is a bit excessive.

As Yorkie suggests, many years ago (maybe 10+) there was an issue where FGW messed up calculating their 'fares basket' on Thames Valley routes, and fares had been raised too much. As I recall, this was only brought to light by London Travelwatch, and I don't think it ever really got the attention it deserved. (Not least because it left one wondering how many other mistakes in fares basket calculations had been made elsewhere by other TOCs and had never been picked up on...)

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
As Yorkie suggests, many years ago (maybe 10+) there was an issue where FGW messed up calculating their 'fares basket' on Thames Valley routes, and fares had been raised too much. As I recall, this was only brought to light by London Travelwatch, and I don't think it ever really got the attention it deserved. (Not least because it left one wondering how many other mistakes in fares basket calculations had been made elsewhere by other TOCs and had never been picked up on...)
I once made a freedom of information request to try and get some information on the software the DfT used to calculate compliance with fares baskets etc. It's called FIRM. FOI details here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/documentation_relating_to_firm_s

Unfortunately after several long delays the DfT refused the request because, according to them, providing the information I had asked for would amount to a breach of commercial confidence with Atos Origin (now Worldline) who supplied the (apparently faulty, if what you say is correct!) software.

alistairlees

Established Member
I once made a freedom of information request to try and get some information on the software the DfT used to calculate compliance with fares baskets etc. It's called FIRM. FOI details here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/documentation_relating_to_firm_s

Unfortunately after several long delays the DfT refused the request because, according to them, providing the information I had asked for would amount to a breach of commercial confidence with Atos Origin (now Worldline) who supplied the (apparently faulty, if what you say is correct!) software.
I see no harm in asking again. The basis for refusal seems incorrect.

Iskra

Established Member
"FGW" finished 21-09-16 and 180s have been finished on FGW many years before that, so heaven knows what the video maker refers to.
It was in regards to them being ordered to replace HST's originally for FGW, the 180 introduction was of course delayed. It's quite a good video and very interesting.

I was also interested in the 'ticket price scandal' after watching so thanks for starting this thread @Bayum

ess

The 180s were my favourite. The most comfortable and loads of leg room

Status
Not open for further replies.