• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fillet steak at Long Buckby

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
One derailed tamper (6J99 i think) and a cow and a big resulting mess. No trains until 1000 apparently.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hydro

Established Member
Every single time a cow is struck by a train, the same tired old puns come out. I'm starting to get some serious beef with this. Everyone follows the herd, and there's no originality left. Serious discussion needs to be the meat of the conversation, rather than these hoary old jokes before it descends into anarchy.

A firm pat on the back for the person who can steer this thread back in the right direction.

wintonian

Established Member
Every single time a cow is struck by a train, the same tired old puns come out. I'm starting to get some serious beef with this. Everyone follows the herd, and there's no originality left. Serious discussion needs to be the meat of the conversation, rather than these hoary old jokes before it descends into anarchy.

A firm pat on the back for the person who can steer this thread back in the right direction.

Bullocks!

I assume everything is back to normal now?

Chapeltom

Established Member
no crew injuries i hope - is the machine dadly damaged?

Is the cow minced? (sorry)

Cows are generally seriously heavy animals.

1) How did the hell did it get on the tracks? and
2) I imagine it'll have been damaged quite a bit, as its probably damaged the train quite a bit!!

Ivo

Established Member
Attempt to steer thread back on course...

If a train runs into something as large and heavy as a cow, and the resulting mess is not too dissimilar to what would happen if the stricken being had been a human, is the driver given the same absence permissions as would happen had (s)he hit a human instead? Or would the potential trauma involved be overlooked?

callum112233

I can't imagine the driver being too bothered or distressed, unless the driver was a huge animal lover (or a vegitarian) :D

Hydro

Established Member
Attempt to steer thread back on course...

If a train runs into something as large and heavy as a cow, and the resulting mess is not too dissimilar to what would happen if the stricken being had been a human, is the driver given the same absence permissions as would happen had (s)he hit a human instead? Or would the potential trauma involved be overlooked?

I'd imagine there'd be a fair bit of brown trousering, remember the Polmont rail disaster was caused by a cow. It's not just the mess, but the fear of what may happen.

the sniper

Established Member
No one has mentioned it so I may be wrong, but weren't there delays in that part of the world last night due to a cow on the line...? Maybe the same place? If so, you'd have to think that somebody will be in trouble for not following it up, establishing or securing the point of entry, if nobody did.

I can't imagine the driver being too bothered or distressed, unless the driver was a huge animal lover (or a vegitarian) :D

They'd be rather foolhardy or ignorant if they'd approached it like that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polmont_rail_accident

Not that I think they did. This might surprise you, but drivers gerenally don't like to hit things, let alone large things that could have derailed their train...

Last edited:

bengolding

This is tragic - my sympathies to the cow and his/her immediate family, who must be going through torment over this :(.

There was different messages going out over this. The Virgin Train Manager apologised for the overcrowding, saying it was due to a derailed train at Long Buckby. Digital Debbie @ Milton Keynes said it was vandalism and Digital Dick later said it was animals on the line. At least a cheap fast day to London was to be had - get a LM ticket and it was accepted on the fast Virgin Train! But instead of bustituting the Rugby-Northampton services, why could LM not diver their trains the usual way from Rugby to MKC via Watford Gap?

Crossover

Established Member
But instead of bustituting the Rugby-Northampton services, why could LM not diver their trains the usual way from Rugby to MKC via Watford Gap?

Paths, I suspect. Also bear in mind that the Dessies can only do 100mph and the line via Weedon (/Watford Gap) is designed for 125 running, which obviously the Pendos are capable of and the 350s may clog up the line too much on a day where VT are running their intensive service

Crossover

Established Member
110mph will obviously help matters.

Also, I know LM run via Weedon during engineering works but I guess these are on quieter days where VT's services are less intense

Eagle

Established Member
They'd be rather foolhardy or ignorant if they'd approached it like that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polmont_rail_accident

Not that I think they did. This might surprise you, but drivers gerenally don't like to hit things, let alone large things that could have derailed their train...

Even a stray pigeon can be potentially disastrous if it hits just right (I think it was just the other day a LM 350 went out of service due to birdstrike).

whhistle

On Moderation
But instead of bustituting the Rugby-Northampton services, why could LM not diver their trains the usual way from Rugby to MKC via Watford Gap?

Officially it was "a derailed train caused by animals on the railway".

However, London Midland crews swap at Northampton, so I guess the drivers didn't want to take the unit all the way to London or couldn't due to driving hours / shift patterns.

They should have just moved the train crew swapping to Rugby or Milton Keynes.

A few years ago I dragged 90024 home to Crewe ETD after it had an altercation with a cow just south of Rugby on a VT service. The damage was superficial mainly damaged brakes but the remains of cow were everywhere literally and the stench you can't imagine. Had to drag it as a swinger such was its damage. And no I didn't couple it up that's what shunters are for !

Status
Not open for further replies.