• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Firefighting Equipment on LBSCR D1s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Wetzel

I've recently learned about the LBSCR D1s, and was amazed to hear that a couple of these engines were equipped with water pumps and firefighting equipment. But I'm curious to know: where were the water pumps located on the locomotive? Where was the firefighting equipment located on the locomotive? Were the water pumps separate from the locomotive's water tanks? How did the locomotive carry the firefighting equipment, such as hoses for example?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I have just googled LBSCR D1 and a photo under Images appears to show the apparatus. D.L.Bradley’s series on Brighton locos (Volume 2, I think, but I can’t find my copy at the moment) mentions him watching a demonstration which produced an impressive jet of water for ninety seconds before falling away to a dribble. This suggests that the water came from the tanks, unless it was lack of pressure from the locos. I think that the locos were not intended to travel long distances.

EDIT: Further down the page of Images is another photo. A more careful examination of the first photo suggests that the water was obtained from the mains.

Last edited:

On YouTube, type in: ‘British Pathé Fire Fighting Engine 1941’. This should show you over 5 minutes of D1 2215 in action. I hope it works!

Greg Wetzel

I have just googled LBSCR D1 and a photo under Images appears to show the apparatus. D.L.Bradley’s series on Brighton locos (Volume 2, I think, but I can’t find my copy at the moment) mentions him watching a demonstration which produced an impressive jet of water for ninety seconds before falling away to a dribble. This suggests that the water came from the tanks, unless it was lack of pressure from the locos. I think that the locos were not intended to travel long distances.

EDIT: Further down the page of Images is another photo. A more careful examination of the first photo suggests that the water was obtained from the mains.
But if the water came from the loco's tanks, wouldn't that cause a problem? After all, it'd be dangerous to not have water whilst having a fire going in the firebox.

John Webb

Established Member
As part of the ARP (Air Raid Precautions) instituted on the approach to and during WW2 a number of fire-fighting trains were set up on the railway system to supplement existing railway fire brigades already established at major railway works. I understand such trains often incorporated old tenders to provide a larger water supply than the loco's own tender could provide on it's own.

The British Pathe news item referred to by 32475 shows a steam pump mounted on the rear of the loco's bunker. The principle source of water appears to be an underground emergency water tank rather than the loco's tanks. The film shows the large diameter hose suction hose being connected to the pump inlet and the end being dropped into the mostly covered water tank. The suction hose can be seen carried on the front of the loco in a couple of shots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.