• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Aberdeen

lastbus

They seem to be getting done by an external contractor in the Glasgow area hence them being delivered to Blantyre Depot rather than Caledonia, i think they may be getting Euro 6 conversion too. Although don't quote me on that...
Think they are going to western commercial in bellshill although don’t quote me on that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
They seem to be getting done by an external contractor in the Glasgow area hence them being delivered to Blantyre Depot rather than Caledonia, i think they may be getting Euro 6 conversion too. Although don't quote me on that...

These buses are already 12 years old it seems odd they’d be putting so much effort into older buses. Hopefully they invest in the new Wright bendies once these are up as they seem like the only suitable option for Aberdeen.

Volvodart

Established Member
The reseting on the existing artics was done too late and it looks like they will be withdrawn with many more years life in them.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
These buses are already 12 years old it seems odd they’d be putting so much effort into older buses. Hopefully they invest in the new Wright bendies once these are up as they seem like the only suitable option for Aberdeen.

They're actually quite late 58 plates being new in 2009 so are only 11, they'll still likely have another 6 years of life. Aberdeen has a LEZ zone coming in force in just over 2 years so the conversion is compulsory, it's better to do it now while they're still eligible for funding. They're still newer than many of the Geminis already done in Glasgow.

The reseting on the existing artics was done too late and it looks like they will be withdrawn with many more years life in them.

The B7LAs could easily go a few more years but the main issue is they're not eligible for LEZ conversion and the younger Citaros that are eligible have now became available.

That said i wouldn't be shocked if a few B7LAs were retained, especially given that quite a bit of money was spent reinstated 10158/70 last year.

AB93

Refurbs go to outside contractors. If in house, the best we can hope for is new seat covers.
Other than a few threadbare seats, they are in very good condition anyway.

Will be interesting to see what they emerge like.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Other than a few threadbare seats, they are in very good condition anyway.

Will be interesting to see what they emerge like.

Agree, i'm interested to see how the livery will sit as i can't see how the Aberdeen Urban scheme will work on a Citaro given the position of the rear door.

Busman84

Could be Bustec up at Righead Estate doing the refurbishments. They done a number of ex London Trident a few B7TLs back in 2009/10.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Guess these will mark the return of Merc buses to First Aberdeen, how long has it been?

Technically only 3 years as Aberdeen had some Tourismo's on lease from 2015 to 2017.

Aberdeen has also operated an Optare bodied Mercedes O814D since 2005, along with various Cheetah's over the years.

Putting those aside and only counting buses it's been 11-12 years. Mercedes O405G K1GRT was withdrawn in late 2008 and left the fleet for preservation in early 2009.

Citaro's 11106/8/9/15 should all be in Glasgow now.

cnjb8

Established Member
Technically only 3 years as Aberdeen had some Tourismo's on lease from 2015 to 2017.

Aberdeen has also operated an Optare bodied Mercedes O814D since 2005, along with various Cheetah's over the years.

Putting those aside and only counting buses it's been 11-12 years. Mercedes O405G K1GRT was withdrawn in late 2008 and left the fleet for preservation in early 2009.

Citaro's 11106/8/9/15 should all be in Glasgow now.
I'm sure they've operated YX05 AVV all this time, a Mercedes-Benz Vario.

scosutsut

That's what I had originally thought, not being to close to it, thinking back to the GRT era 0405's. Always thought they were very smart.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
That's what I had originally thought, not being to close to it, thinking back to the GRT era 0405's. Always thought they were very smart.

Agree, all of the rigid O405s were displaced by the 100+ B10BLEs that joined the fleet in early 2001.

Some changes from Monday (14th September 2020).

Service 1B: 1 Peak Journey from Woolmanhill to RGU reinstated.
Service 8: Service reinstated on pre-March timetable.
Service 20: Increased to Half Hourly.
Service X27: Reinstated offpeak/Saturdays on a hourly frequency.

Timetables are not yet on the First website but can be viewed on bustimes.org

Recently withdrawn B10BLEs 62167 (left) and 62178 (centre) are now operating with Aldermaston Coach Lines in Reading.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Nice to see the buses never went to the crusher. Has anything else been sold off?

Yes, a number of Profiles have been sold, the same company have purchased 20370 presumably as part of the same sale.

Prior to Covid the plans were for a number of newer coaches to join the fleet replacing the lift fitted Profiles and all 4 Levantes. I'm not sure where those plans currently stand.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
10163/64/65/66/70/71 are out on the 1 today, this marks the first time since March that B7LAs have been on service work (excluding Lochside Schools). Presumable since schools are off today, they should be on the 1 on Monday too.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
10163/64/65/66/70/71 are out on the 1 today, this marks the first time since March that B7LAs have been on service work (excluding Lochside Schools). Presumable since schools are off today, they should be on the 1 on Monday too.

Any idea when the Mercs are planned to enter service? I understand they’re getting a refurb right now but wonder how long they’re anticipating it’ll be before they enter service.

It would be nice to see new Wright B8RLEAs eventually ordered for the 1 services. They seem like the only suitable replacement for this route.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Any idea when the Mercs are planned to enter service? I understand they’re getting a refurb right now but wonder how long they’re anticipating it’ll be before they enter service.

It would be nice to see new Wright B8RLEAs eventually ordered for the 1 services. They seem like the only suitable replacement for this route.

I believe the Citaros are expected to hit the road next month as they'll need to do some training with them first.

**** Separate post :rolleyes: ****

Artics 10161/63/64/65/66/70/71/72 have now been reinstated.

The first of the new Hydrogen powered Wright Streetdeck FCEVs has now been delivered.

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I believe the Citaros are expected to hit the road next month as they'll need to do some training with them first.

**** Separate post :rolleyes: ****

Artics 10161/63/64/65/66/70/71/72 have now been reinstated.

The first of the new Hydrogen powered Wright Streetdeck FCEVs has now been delivered.

Wow any idea if they’re in the new Aberdeen livery or a special livery for Hydrogen?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Wow any idea if they’re in the new Aberdeen livery or a special livery for Hydrogen?

They're in full Aberdeen colours. I'd expect a small number will have turquoise front wedges for the 19. They'll likely see use on other routes too as the 19 only requires 10 buses.

They're doing a photoshoot with it on Tuesday/Wednesday, so there will likely be a press release later in the week. I might head past the depot in the morning to see if i can spot it, although i suspect it's parked inside.

At least one Citaro has now been fully refurbished. Shouldn't be too long now before they're up. Hopefully they're branded for the 1/2 and they debrand a few E500s.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Prisma Aberdeen on Flickr has posted an image of the new Streetdeck, as expected still unbranded.

The fleet numbers are reported to be 39701-15, the interior is to First specification but with Civic V2s (presumably due to type approval). The example delivered last night has now been branded.

Last edited:

Seehof

It was said that some of York’s articulated ex park and ride buses would be coming here. Is it true and are they in Aberdeen now or has this plan been cancelled and they have gone elsewhere? (11106, 11108-15)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It was said that some of York’s articulated ex park and ride buses would be coming here. Is it true and are they in Aberdeen now or has this plan been cancelled and they have gone elsewhere? (11106, 11108-15)

Indeed it is true, as per posts #683 and #685 at least 6 of them are in Glasgow being refurbished with at least one complete. 9 are due in total (11106/8-15)

Not the best photo but managed to catch 39701 in daylight while passing King Street Depot around an hour ago.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Indeed it is true, as per posts #683 and #685 at least 6 of them are in Glasgow being refurbished with at least one complete. 9 are due in total (11106/8-15)

Not the best photo but managed to catch 39701 in daylight while passing King Street Depot around an hour ago.

Been such a long time in coming but there's 15 of these Streetdecks are due? With the ex York bendis, what's leaving the fleet? I'm sure it's been mentioned but I forget!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Been such a long time in coming but there's 15 of these Streetdecks are due? With the ex York bendis, what's leaving the fleet? I'm sure it's been mentioned but I forget!

Indeed, glad to see progress for a change! 20 Streetdecks are due in total, this batch of 15 initially then 5 more at a later date.

Plans were for the B7LAs and 7 of the 12 Geminis to leave the fleet. The 5 retained Geminis would make up for there only being 9 Citaros to replace 14 B7LAs. This may have changed due to Covid.

The Vanhool A330s are still due to be joining the First fleet again at some point soon with the last two stored at King Street being collected by the council last week for overhaul. That said i don't think they'll replace anything, certainly nothing has been confirmed.