• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First class travel.. Cheap or expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian Hornby

As you have probably heard a lot of people say, it depends. For example, if you decided to book a single ticket to Edinburgh from London Kings cross, first class and booked in advance... It would be £75. And if you had a 16 - 25 railcard it would be £47, which is very good value compared to the standard fare of £26. So, what does first class on EAST COAST have to offer? Well, a first class lounge at kings cross, a meal, a large seat which reclines, good service, clean and quiet area, free wifi and many more things like curtains. I personally believe first class is good if you know how to get hold of cheap tickets.
Before I end the forum though, let's see how much it is if we book through the best fare finder... Well, it was £40 first and £17 standard which is incredibly cheap.
Thanks for reading.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You hit the nail on the head; "it depends".

As for what you get on EC, a meal is only offered on selected services. There's a thread devoted to that though so we don't need to cover that here ;)

Also, at the prices you quote, you won't be getting into the lounge at King's Cross!

alex17595

I found some first advances to be brilliant prices.

For example for 22.45 (w/ Railcard) you can do Norwich to Tamworth via London and Birmingham.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
You should be able to find a lot better than £75 for London-Edinburgh if you fiddle about with dates and times.

When they had a sale a while ago I did that for £10 in STD returning in 1ST for £25.

Flamingo

Established Member
Best I have ever seen was £4.95 with SNR railcard from Swansea to Bristol Parkway (approx 1 1/2 hrs).

Mind you, the 1st Class WestonSM to Pad for £20 with a YP I saw a few days ago looked pretty good value as well!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
On the subject of FGW, Paddington to Pembroke Dock £22.45 with Y-P is pretty awesome value.

Similarly approx £33 all the way on the Highland Chieftain is amazing value.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
On the subject of first class, does anyone know if there are any first class freebies on the Virgin trains pretendelino out of Euston ?

Status
Not open for further replies.