• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First GBRf to name 66 "Derby County"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
As a Rams fan, this came as a wonderful surprise to me this morning!

First GBRf will today name one of its Class 66 locomotives 'Derby County' to commemorate their contract with Bombardier Transportation, for the delivery of new underground stock.

The naming ceremony will be attended by representatives from First GBRf and Bombardier Transportation as well as Derby County's President and CEO Tom Glick, Vice President of Commercial Tim Hinchey, Vice President of Finance Mal Brannigan, Manager Nigel Clough as well as ex-players Phil Gee and Archie Gemmill.

Tom Glick and John Smith, MD, First GBRf will name loco 66729 "Derby County", with another former player, Roger Davies, acting as MC for the event.

Tom Glick commented: "Our supporters will be delighted to see the club honoured in this way; we are delighted to be involved with it. Trains and the rail industry are integral to Derby and plays a huge part in the life of this region."

Loco 66729 is named "Derby County"

Rams boss Nigel Clough said: "This is a great gesture and something we are all delighted about at the football club. The rail industry is extremely important to Derby and therefore has always had a big impact on Derby County itself. It will be a proud moment to see a locomotive emblazoned with our name on it; I am looking forward to being one of the first to ride in it."

Colin S Walton, UK chairman of Bombardier Transportation, said: "This is a great way to celebrate our close partnerships both with Derby County and with First GBRf. With Derby County, we are working on many local community projects as part of our commitment to the area. The naming of this locomotive further underlines our close ties with Derby."

After the naming ceremony, guests will be taken to the football ground for lunch, which will be followed by a tour of the football club or a train trip to Melton Mowbray.

Ashley Stower, head of business development and marketing, First GBRf, and dedicated Derby supporter, said: "As a lifetime supporter of Derby County this event is particularly special for me and is also a great way to mark the hard work that has been displayed on the contract with Bombardier Transportation."

0,,10270~8738110,00.jpg

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2025373,00.html

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
I know there's along tradition of naming locomotives after clubs - but please couldn't we have a football-free zone somewhere in Britain?:cry:

flymo

Established Member
I love trains and football about equal, but from a purely football point of view I think it is about time that Derby County had a bit of recognition. This season in the fizzy pop league they have the second highest average attendance in the Championship, behind Newcastle Utd. (Sorry 175001 I'm a Toon fan <:D). Last season the Rams had the highest average attendance for the 2008/2009 season, both years about 29,000 plus change, more than a lot of teams in the Premiership .

All my ramblings might not have much to do with 66729 I know, just pointing out why sometimes football teams have loco's named after them. :D

Rock on ye Rams.

MCR247

Established Member
Oh my god. Derby? Are first trying to make them look like the worst company by associating themselves with the worst team EVER! In the history of the universe. Whereas if they were to name it Nottingham Forest or Arsenal, then it would be something worth making a thread about.

(The poor 66 :( )

Geezertronic

Established Member
Whereas if they were to name it Nottingham Forest or Arsenal, then it would be something worth making a thread about.

Ahhh, the usual "support the local team and support a team from The Premiership as the local team are not good enough to get there" :D

MCR247

Established Member
Ahhh, the usual "support the local team and support a team from The Premiership as the local team are not good enough to get there" :D

Kind of, but I just like Nottingham forest because thats what my family supports, but I am more of an arsenal fan

ungreat

Football...the sport of the moronic majority...please,no more football names for trains.

I am not a fan but ok,respect those that are a little..but why oh why name trains after it?

Wyvern

Established Member
According to the press release they wanted to acknowledge their links with Derby and Bombardier so they could have called it "City of Derby"

It is after all the centre of the railway universe. :lol:

Wyvern

Established Member
Crewe ????? LNWR ?????

spit spit :roll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.