• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Unlikely.

When Glasgow got StreetLites, every OpCo was getting them as a) they needed vehicles to meet PSVAR and b) First Group had been involved in their development.

The only OpCo getting Streetdecks now is First West Yorkshire. It’s not impossible that Streetdecks could make a return to wider group orders with a 6 cylinder engine option but First (esp in Glasgow) appear to be standardising on ADL.

Same goes for cascading in that there are more e400s that would be available for redeployment. So whilst not impossible, it’s probably unlikely.

Agree, i find it unlikely First within Scotland will move away from ADLs now unless they're vehicles funded through external sources (such as Aberdeen's Streetdecks). They seem quite pleased with the ADL offering.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LT02 NVV

The route 1E should be a service from the City Centre to Baldernock Via Drumchapel and Bearsden instead of a Peak-Time service as the 1C is the only 1 Route that doesn’t go through Clydebank.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Always wondered if anyone uses the 1E beyond Bellsmyre at peaks to be fair. Surprised the X4 wasn't numbered into a 1 variant in order to have sets of services. 3 out to Dumbarton and beyond and 3 local expresses with the 1C/1D and the Knightswood express if the 1E in its current form was removed. I do think the 1C/1D should be renumbered though

PaulMc7

Established Member
New article today from Glasgow Live regarding public transport in Glasgow and residents having their say. As you can imagine some in response to this some hate towards First although expected and understandable.

Glaswegians are being given the chance to have their say on the future of the city's transport system.

This morning (Monday), a consultation document was published which 'confronts multiple challenges in the city'.

High on Glasgow City Council's agenda is pollution, with transport accounting for a third of city's carbon emissions and major changes to be made if Glasgow's net zero target is to be met by 2030.

The public are encouraged to take part by way of an online survey on topics such as traffic and congestions, bus use and safety concerns over cycling.

The council advised: "A public conversation on a new strategy that will help create a modern, resilient and sustainable transport system for Glasgow has begun.

"The debate on the future of Glasgow’s transport network kicked off this morning with the publication of a consultation document that confronts multiple challenges for the city.

"Transport accounts for a third of the carbon emissions produced by the city and with Glasgow aiming to become carbon neutral by 2030, major changes are required to how people get about the city if the net zero target is to be achieved.

"But with transport also directly linked to health inequality, deprivation and economic performance, the new transport strategy will be integral to the success of Glasgow and its citizens over the next ten years.

"Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the public conversation will take place mainly on-line with a major webinar for hundreds of stakeholders planned for Wednesday, September 23 and a series of digital workshops also scheduled over the course of the forthcoming six week consultation period.

"The general Glasgow public is also being urged to participate in an on-line survey to ensure their voice is heard as the city grapples with a wide range of transport issues such as rising traffic and congestion, falling bus passenger numbers amid criticism about the reliability and cost of services, safety concerns over cycling, unequal access to transport and greenhouse gases from vehicles. The impact of Covid-19 on transport systems is also a major consideration.

"A transport policy simulator has been created which will allow people to allocate points to the issues that matter to them and help create a picture of the city’s priorities."

Councilor Anna Richardson, City Convener for Sustainability and Carbon Reduction, believes the input of city residents is essential to keep the strategy heading in the right direction for Glasgow

She commented: "A modern, resilient and sustainable transport system is at the heart of any successful city, and Glasgow is no exception. How easily we can move around the city is of fundamental importance to people as it affects where we live, our life chances, our health and our overall climate.

"The transport strategy will be key to how we move ahead as a city and will direct the investment that will help improve our environment, tackle inequalities and support the economy. There will be difficult choices to be made but the consultation document sets out the challenges the city cannot afford to ignore.

"The choices made as part of the development of the new transport system will have a direct impact on Glasgow and the people who live here for many, many years to come. It is in interests of everyone with a stake in the future of the city to join the public conversation and have their say on the transport strategy."

The public conversation will inform three distinct plans – a Glasgow Transport Strategy for the overall city, a City Centre Transformation Plan and a new Liveable Neighbourhoods Plan.

Policies will be created in support of these three plans with four major themes put forward for discussion – priority for people, not vehicles; better, cheaper integrated transport systems; people friendly, inclusive neighbourhoods and city centre and cleaner and low carbon transport.

The aim of the overarching Glasgow Transport Strategy is to achieve four major outcomes:

• Transport contributes to a successful and just transition to a carbon neutral, clean and sustainable city.
  • Transport has a positive role in tackling poverty, improving health and reducing inequalities.
  • Transport responds and contributes to continued and inclusive economic success and a dynamic, world class city.
  • Places are created where we can all thrive, regardless of mobility or income, through liveable neighbourhoods and an inclusive city centre .
The consultation document and on-line survey will be available at https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/connectingcommunities from Monday, September 21 and will open to the public for six weeks until Friday, October 30.

Anyone who wishes to the join the launch webinar on September 23 can register to be involved by following this link:- https://www.transportxtra.com/tx-events/?id=2495 Spaces are still available.

There is also a second webinar on Transport, People and Place taking place on October 7. This relates to the work of the Liveable Neighbourhoods and City Centre Transformation Plans.
Anyone interested in participating can register for the event by following this link: https://www.transportxtra.com/txevents/?id=2496
Community engagement is also being carried out via phone and online discussions, with some limited on-street work. The public are encouraged to join the discussion online using #GetAboutGlasgow.

LT02 NVV

No problem, I just can't understand the logic of routing a bus to terminate at Baldernock near Milngaive (which is where I assume you mean?)
Yes it is, but the my version of the 1E would be going back to the 118 and 119 Days.

LT02 NWC should honestly move to the Dumbarton Depot.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
In relation to Milngavie as an area I wouldn't be surprised if the 60A was eventually cut back to a City Centre to Milngavie service again so they could drop the frequency to every 30 mins with the 60 going every 15 mins so the City Centre to Easterhouse frequency isn't harmed too much. Fairly horrendous bus territory north of Bearsden to be fair because of the train and how well off a lot of residents are so cars are so common

route101

Established Member
Yes, sorry

Never heard of this place ha. Seen another person pay a £1.70 fare , Castlemilk to City.

Wait, Olympians were on the 31 during 2012, I never remember that. I thought they all moved to Dumbarton or got Scrapped and only 2 or 3 stayed at Caledonia for the Late Night 38a Services until 2014.

Wait? The bus aint waiting for you ha . Yes i remember going to work on the 31 and getting the R reg Olympians , the low height N reg Olympians and the R reg Northern counties ones.

Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
In relation to Milngavie as an area I wouldn't be surprised if the 60A was eventually cut back to a City Centre to Milngavie service again so they could drop the frequency to every 30 mins with the 60 going every 15 mins so the City Centre to Easterhouse frequency isn't harmed too much. Fairly horrendous bus territory north of Bearsden to be fair because of the train and how well off a lot of residents are so cars are so common

If you want to do that, how about:

• 60: half hourly as per current route (Easterhouse - Clydebank)
  • 60a: half hourly as per current route (Easterhouse - Milngavie)
  • 60b: half hourly as per current 60 from Easterhouse to Canniesburn Road, then a clockwise loop following the 3 route along Drumchapel Road then carrying onto Gascadden Road to turn right onto Kinfauns Drive and follow the current 60 route back towards Easterhouse

That'd cut the PVR slightly (removing one bus per hour from Milngavie and one bus per hour from Drumchapel to Clydebank) whilst maintaining the ten minute service along the "core" sections and the M60 could be co-ordinated with the 60 from Drumchapel to Clydebank.

PaulMc7

Established Member
If you want to do that, how about:

• 60: half hourly as per current route (Easterhouse - Clydebank)
  • 60a: half hourly as per current route (Easterhouse - Milngavie)
  • 60b: half hourly as per current 60 from Easterhouse to Canniesburn Road, then a clockwise loop following the 3 route along Drumchapel Road then carrying onto Gascadden Road to turn right onto Kinfauns Drive and follow the current 60 route back towards Easterhouse

That'd cut the PVR slightly (removing one bus per hour from Milngavie and one bus per hour from Drumchapel to Clydebank) whilst maintaining the ten minute service along the "core" sections and the M60 could be co-ordinated with the 60 from Drumchapel to Clydebank.

Nice idea in theory but given what I've experienced the 60 to be like in terms of reliability the loop idea might not work. Would require plenty of recovery time at Easterhouse in order to not fall behind pretty quickly

Will be interesting to see how shopping at the fort goes this year towards Christmas because it's pretty pointless trying to get a 60/60A because of how held up they get by queues of cars coming in and out of there. The other buses seem to dodge it a bit more as they go out away from the motorway junction

Duke Street and Maryhill Road are also capable of being utterly horrendous even off-peak too

Last edited:

Busman84

Many routes in the past had plenty of recovery time. 20 minutes or more was pretty common on many services.. The 40 then 60 had good time at Clydebank. 62 had it good both Faifley and Baillieston until Simplicity. Both terminus were packed with 5 or 6 buses daytime. The 57 also had good layover at Westerhill. 66 (Later 6) gained long layovers both ends of the route and the 75 was fairly decent at Milton. All these layover (recovery times) been chopped a fair bit over the years and can cause issues certain times of the day when it’s busy with buses bunching.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Wonder what the general public would prefer out of frequency and reliability. Going by what I've seen and heard over the years I think people would prefer reliability with a lower frequency over higher frequency with less reliability. Doubt First would ever reduce frequency in order to increase recovery time though

Busman84

But away from service levels before covid occurred it appeared it was perfectly acceptable that buses left depots filthy (brushed out but floors not receiving a clean with mop) and during cold weather no heating at all for passengers on most older buses and newer vehicles too. Buses being unreliable too adds to it. This can add to passengers to make other arrangements to travel.. Within Greater Glasgow trains have improved with electrification on a number of lines over years taking people away from buses too due to quicker train times. Tough ask to get buses back to what they were a number of years back.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Because Dumbarton is the home for older stock at the moment.

Actually it's not, almost the entire fleet there is E300s and 57 plate Geminis. Every other depot has a far higher proportion of Euro 3 buses. If anything Scotstoun have the most of the older vehicles.

PaulMc7

Established Member
But away from service levels before covid occurred it appeared it was perfectly acceptable that buses left depots filthy (brushed out but floors not receiving a clean with mop) and during cold weather no heating at all for passengers on most older buses and newer vehicles too. Buses being unreliable too adds to it. This can add to passengers to make other arrangements to travel.. Within Greater Glasgow trains have improved with electrification on a number of lines over years taking people away from buses too due to quicker train times. Tough ask to get buses back to what they were a number of years back.

Definitely can't disagree with this to be fair. The lack of high cleaning standards before Covid was a horrible look for First and definitely when it comes to complaining about First it's something that came up more than a few occasions over the years. I was unfortunate enough with my last job that I worked in a place that was generally quite cold during the winter but the bus didn't help at all. I used to get a 335 fresh out the depot on route to Clydebank and honestly at times it would have been warmer off of the bus.

I don't think there is a route back to better times for any bus company in Glasgow to be fair. Pretty negative views towards First especially from enough people to have a pretty bad impact

lastbus

Actually it's not, almost the entire fleet there is E300s and 57 plate Geminis. Every other depot has a far higher proportion of Euro 3 buses. If anything Scotstoun have the most of the older vehicles.
Apart from Overtown they only have 5 euro 3 buses.

route101

Established Member

Have some of them 57 plates moved to Scotstoun?

Noticed still branded buses at other depots and routes.Maybe it takes time for them to filter back.

Noticed the Blantyre 04 plate eclipse is at Caley as i had it on a 6.

Wonder what the general public would prefer out of frequency and reliability. Going by what I've seen and heard over the years I think people would prefer reliability with a lower frequency over higher frequency with less reliability. Doubt First would ever reduce frequency in order to increase recovery time though

I prefer more realiability , the 6 was fairly reliable back in May. But as traffic has come back, its back to usual self.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
I prefer more realiability , the 6 was fairly reliable back in May. But as traffic has come back, its back to usual self.

Yeah the 1s have been the same over the last week or 2 especially. Starting to see 1/1As especially running 15/20mins late and 6s coming together again too

Last edited by a moderator:

LT02 NVV

I think the 1C, 1D, and My Version of the 1E should be rebranded as the 42, 42A (For my version of the 1E) and 42B.

The route 1E should be a service from the City Centre to Baldernock Via Drumchapel and Bearsden instead of a Peak-Time service as the 1C is the only 1 Route that doesn’t go through Clydebank.

Yes it is, but the my version of the 1E would be going back to the 118 and 119 Days.

LT02 NWC should honestly move to the Dumbarton Depot.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Thought I'd have a look at the app just because I've applied for jobs where I'd need the 6. Looked at Anniesland Cross. 3 6As and 4 6s all due within 7 mins of each other. Nice to Great Western Road is back to its usual self

lastbus

Apart from Overtown they only have 5 euro 3 buses.
No I’m talking about the fact you said all other first Glasgow depots have a higher proportion of euro 3 buses than Dumbarton. I was stating that Overtown doesn’t.

route101

Established Member
Quick question: can you still get zone cards?

Yes, hardly seen anyone with them. Outdated product. I think some employers give there staff a zonecard perhaps. Needs to be an update on the SPT fares and zones its stuck in 1990. Most people have company specific bus pass or train season.

Thought I'd have a look at the app just because I've applied for jobs where I'd need the 6. Looked at Anniesland Cross. 3 6As and 4 6s all due within 7 mins of each other. Nice to Great Western Road is back to its usual self

I was going to apply at Morrisons Anniesland, one bus from EK to there, bit of stretch but you have train as back up.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I was going to apply at Morrisons Anniesland, one bus from EK to there, bit of stretch but you have train as back up.

One of my local stores along with Partick. Quite busy up there. Yeah the 6 is quite the drag from East Kilbride even just into the city centre although the train is more expensive

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, hardly seen anyone with them. Outdated product. I think some employers give there staff a zonecard perhaps. Needs to be an update on the SPT fares and zones its stuck in 1990. Most people have company specific bus pass or train season.
Problem with the zonecard is there are far too many zones and the pricing is too confusing.

I lived in Leeds for a few years and their MetroCard system was far simpler and neater.

I do think SPT are very out-of-date and unimaginative in a lot of ways, even compared to the English PTEs.