• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

route101

Established Member
Problem with the zonecard is there are far too many zones and the pricing is too confusing.

I lived in Leeds for a few years and their MetroCard system was far simpler and neater.

I do think SPT are very out-of-date and unimaginative in a lot of ways, even compared to the English PTEs.

Yes, i think the Zonecards are quite expensive too. SPT Dayticket products are outdated too. When you buy a Daytripper it does not come in rail ticket stock.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yes, i think the Zonecards are quite expensive too. SPT Dayticket products are outdated too. When you buy a Daytripper it does not come in rail ticket stock.

Are they? With the m-card, a weekly ticket from Leeds to Halifax, a distance of 14 miles as the crow flies, comes in at £38.30 for the 4 zones.
With a Zonecard, a weekly ticket from Glasgow to Cumbernauld, a distance of 12 miles as the crow flies, comes in at £32.90 for the 4 zones.
If someone was making the journey annually, and obviously could afford to pay up front, the annual Zonecard would cost £1283.00.
The longest validity of the m-card is one month; based on that the annual cost for the above trip would be £1716.00.
Maybe not the best comparison, but still valid...

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Are they? With the m-card, a weekly ticket from Leeds to Halifax, a distance of 14 miles as the crow flies, comes in at £38.30 for the 4 zones.
With a Zonecard, a weekly ticket from Glasgow to Cumbernauld, a distance of 12 miles as the crow flies, comes in at £32.90 for the 4 zones.
If someone was making the journey annually, and obviously could afford to pay up front, the annual Zonecard would cost £1283.00.
The longest validity of the m-card is one month; based on that the annual cost for the above trip would be £1716.00.

Don't forget the Zonecard also includes use of the Glasgow Underground too (if one of the zones includes a Glasgow zone if I remember right), something which West Yorkshire does not have.

When comparing the two PTE zonal products, it seems that with the SPT Zonecard that you get more for less here.

scosutsut

I remember in the 90s you would rarely see a bus without the Zonecard flag sticker in the front window.

I guess the lack of direct competition in a lot of corridors and better offers direct from the providers has increased its irrelevance to most.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Actually it's not, almost the entire fleet there is E300s and 57 plate Geminis. Every other depot has a far higher proportion of Euro 3 buses. If anything Scotstoun have the most of the older vehicles.

That's what I was wondering about with Dumbarton depot. The old stuff is single deckers for the locals rather than deckers?

scosutsut

That's what I was wondering about with Dumbarton depot. The old stuff is single deckers for the locals rather than deckers?
Yep E300s and deckers on the 1s, older vehicles on the surviving local routes as far as I know and that is unlikely to change as they will operate out with of the ULEZ whenever it is actually implemented but the 1 obviously doesn't so the Geminis and the E300s are likely to be in that retrofit funding I reckon.

awsnews

Yep E300s and deckers on the 1s, older vehicles on the surviving local routes as far as I know and that is unlikely to change as they will operate out with of the ULEZ whenever it is actually implemented but the 1 obviously doesn't so the Geminis and the E300s are likely to be in that retrofit funding I reckon.
The Volvos appear on the 1s fairly regularly, during the week there is often one in use (appears to have been 69019 today for example). Allocations will need to be a bit more controlled when the ULEZ requirements are more stringent.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
If you buy 3 glasgow zones you get all 8 zones and it also includes train travel and the ferries if you have the correct zone.

The other pass I haven't seen in a while is trans card.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Remember back a year or 2 the peak 1s had at least a couple of older vehicles each day. I remember on a 1E before that water started dripping through the ceiling due to the rain but to be fair I've experienced that on First's older fleet on a few occasions

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Remember back a year or 2 the peak 1s had at least a couple of older vehicles each day. I remember on a 1E before that water started dripping through the ceiling due to the rain but to be fair I've experienced that on First's older fleet on a few occasions

A lot of that has to do with First’s maintenance or lack of. First have a reputation of not looking after their buses. They tend to run them to the ground until they can’t run anymore. The B7RLEs are a good example of that. There is some battered looking examples going around with threadbare smelly seating while every pole in the bus rattles. IMO if First are going to use their buses for about 16 years or more they will at some point need a midlife refurbishment especially given most of the buses have come from very heavy routes (ie the 2, 60/61 etc).

route101

Established Member
If you buy 3 glasgow zones you get all 8 zones and it also includes train travel and the ferries if you have the correct zone.

The other pass I haven't seen in a while is trans card.

The transcard became the zonecard about 30 year i think.

If you are using it for commuting, not likely you will need all the zones. Too many zones on it.

There was product launched year or two back too, allowed the use of First, McGills bus, cant mind its name but its gone quiet.

A lot of that has to do with First’s maintenance or lack of. First have a reputation of not looking after their buses. They tend to run them to the ground until they can’t run anymore. The B7RLEs are a good example of that. There is some battered looking examples going around with threadbare smelly seating while every pole in the bus rattles. IMO if First are going to use their buses for about 16 years or more they will at some point need a midlife refurbishment especially given most of the buses have come from very heavy routes (ie the 2, 60/61 etc).

It is true, Glasgow has smelly buses. The new E400s and E200s probably an exception. I was wondering why my jeans/jacket were stinking, it was the buses

Ive noticed less e300s on the 1 services, more elclipses.

Need to check the pricing for Glasgow, im for me a Glasgow 4 weekly is cheaper than a Zonecard 4 weekly. Might be different for just one zone.

I hope GVVT preserves LT02 NWC.

Hopefully.

I hope GVVT preserves LT02 NWC.

Hopefully.

kez19

Established Member
Just skimmed is it something called the Glasgowtripper you speak of? (smart card), yet I didn’t see it advertised anywhere let alone the buses!

according to the site it works for most of the bus companies in Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
Even with the E300s which are 7 years old there's been a very quick drop in quality because of the routes that use them. The 1s especially have been fairly noticeable. Seats aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be and even when the bus is very late the drivers very rarely go into the outside lane on the expressway anymore to make up time as if the buses aren't capable of going as quick as they used to

route101

Established Member
Remember when the Eclipses had their TVs working?View attachment 83890

Yes, confused people who couldnt see screen but heard the noises. Was just ads. For a while after they pllayed sound but nothing on screen.

Just skimmed is it something called the Glasgowtripper you speak of? (smart card), yet I didn’t see it advertised anywhere let alone the buses!

according to the site it works for most of the bus companies in Glasgow

Ah that was it , do wonder how many use that?

KGGXXXY

Used the tripper once, the first bus driver couldn't fathom how to load a ticket to the card and had never heard of it despite the sticker on the bus. Got a McGills bus instead the guy had no issue and I had no problem using it on stagecoach and first buses after. But it was such a faff to buy tickets for, could easily be replaced by an app, Instead of applying for a physical card to be sent out. Originally they charged for the card I took opportunity to get one when they gave them away for nothing. The only benefit was the multi operator ability, but apart from that one day I can make do with one operator and contactless. Also of note you can still use the tripper on stagecoach services but can't load tickets on their services.

kez19

Established Member
Yes, confused people who couldnt see screen but heard the noises. Was just ads. For a while after they pllayed sound but nothing on screen.

Ah that was it , do wonder how many use that?

I was looking into this for the times I visit Glasgow but more than happy use the apps! (might be a bit off topic but have always paid cash with McGills though)

route101

Established Member
I was looking into this for the times I visit Glasgow but more than happy use the apps! (might be a bit off topic but have always paid cash with McGills though)

Yes, mostly use apps to. Stagecoach one is good when buying a more obscure day ticket, saves the awkwardness with driver.

kez19

Established Member
Yes, mostly use apps to. Stagecoach one is good when buying a more obscure day ticket, saves the awkwardness with driver.

True, I used theirs in Newcastle!, saying that the apps I have stored for buses are Xplore Dundee, Stagecoach, First and Go North East.

Question for you all, if buying a ticket for Glasgow what’s the difference between the City/Network tickets? (First) When I looked at their map it was just the same unless I missing something? If I remember on their map they tell you can go so far (or last stop) any ideas?

route101

Established Member
True, I used theirs in Newcastle!

Question for you all, if buying a ticket for Glasgow what’s the difference between the City/Network tickets? (First) When I looked at their map it was just the same unless I missing something? If I remember on their map they tell you can go so far (or last stop) any ideas?

I once asked for First Scotland east all zone ticket, the reaction from the driver priceless, whit? He said.

The network is a greater area, the whole of First Glasgow network to include Lanarkshire network , Cumbernauld and Dunbartonshire.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Would be interesting to see how many people actually use Network tickets to be fair. Also think the areas included in the network zone don't fully make sense considering you can go from Old Kilpatrick to East Kilbride and it's all city zone. The likes of Kilsyth/Kirkintilloch/Cumbernauld into the city centre is a smaller journey than that yet all Network zone

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Would be interesting to see how many people actually use Network tickets to be fair. Also think the areas included in the network zone don't fully make sense considering you can go from Old Kilpatrick to East Kilbride and it's all city zone. The likes of Kilsyth/Kirkintilloch/Cumbernauld into the city centre is a smaller journey than that yet all Network zone

Ticket zones are very rarely ever done based on distance but rather geographical boundaries and/or route viability.

kez19

Established Member
I once asked for First Scotland east all zone ticket, the reaction from the driver priceless, whit? He said.

The network is a greater area, the whole of First Glasgow network to include Lanarkshire network , Cumbernauld and Dunbartonshire.

I got you so it’s like saying going to Braehead/East Kilbride or Newton Mearns (as such) where City it’s within the boundaries and limited?

First time I used it but just didn’t understand the workings of it, hence I bought network to be safe!

Last edited:

Aidan1

Even with the E300s which are 7 years old there's been a very quick drop in quality because of the routes that use them. The 1s especially have been fairly noticeable. Seats aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be and even when the bus is very late the drivers very rarely go into the outside lane on the expressway anymore to make up time as if the buses aren't capable of going as quick as they used to
The speed limit on the expressway is 50, even though the E300’s can do 63 MPH the company’s speeding policy monitored by green road means the driver won’t be able to get the foot down like they used to

PaulMc7

Established Member
The speed limit on the expressway is 50, even though the E300’s can do 63 MPH the company’s speeding policy monitored by green road means the driver won’t be able to get the foot down like they used to

Yeah back in 2014/15 I had a lot that were doing 40/45 fairly consistently but in more recent use even when late 30mph was fairly rare

route101

Established Member

Wasnt a E300 involved in a crash on the expressway year or two back? Lanes are a bit tight so drivers ought to be careful.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Wasnt a E300 involved in a crash on the expressway year or two back? Lanes are a bit tight so drivers ought to be careful.

There was one that crashed because of that really awkward bend just before the Thornwood cut off. It's horrendous because drivers tend to swap to the lane for the city centre on the turn because of the size of the bus

route101

Established Member

Well much better value to have network first day vs two singles Glasgow to Hamilton which is over £5 each.