• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

LT02 NVV

I think Glasgow need to add more B9TLs to get rid off the B7TLs, the ones originally from Scotland East/Midland Bluebird are better than most of the B7 stock we have.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I think Glasgow need to add more B9TLs to get rid off the B7TLs, the ones originally from Scotland East/Midland Bluebird are better than most of the B7 stock we have.
And where are these going to be sourced from? Why B9TLs and not new builds or other existing stock?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

To echo @ScotRail158725, a lot of OpCos have similar challenges. First West of England have two emissions zones starting in 2021 so they're in need of reasonable stock too; hence why they're getting some of Aberdeen's B9s apparently.

It depends on what happens with Covid but let's suggest that by the end of Summer, mass vaccination, etc leads to an end to social distancing and withdrawal of additional funding to the bus industry. I'd not be surprised to see a reduction in headways and a cut in PVR to enable some of the oldest fleet to be retired anyway.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
To echo @ScotRail158725, a lot of OpCos have similar challenges. First West of England have two emissions zones starting in 2021 so they're in need of reasonable stock too; hence why they're getting some of Aberdeen's B9s apparently.

It depends on what happens with Covid but let's suggest that by the end of Summer, mass vaccination, etc leads to an end to social distancing and withdrawal of additional funding to the bus industry. I'd not be surprised to see a reduction in headways and a cut in PVR to enable some of the oldest fleet to be retired anyway.
I thought Glasgow were getting Aberdeen’s B9s.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It was never confirmed and just rumours, it was confirmed a few months back that Bath are to receive them.

Gemini 37530 has gained the NHS Rainbow livery, it's the same as Aberdeen's 37635 except with a lilac rear end.

Brimfulofasha

Out running earlier and witnessed a car pulling into one of the Bishopbriggs Cross bus stops, an 89 immediately behind her had to pull-in diagonally in front, blocking one lane of traffic. Those boarding then had to step off the pavement onto the road, and then back up to the bus. An elderly female was struggling with the height. Makes my blood boil.

Posted it on the local Facebook group, but most folk commenting weren't taking it seriously.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Out running earlier and witnessed a car pulling into one of the Bishopbriggs Cross bus stops, an 89 immediately behind her had to pull-in diagonally in front, blocking one lane of traffic. Those boarding then had to step off the pavement onto the road, and then back up to the bus. An elderly female was struggling with the height. Makes my blood boil.

Posted it on the local Facebook group, but most folk commenting weren't taking it seriously.

Sorry to say but the car was most likely in the wrong for pulling into the bus stop in the first place. Where else did you expect the bus to go just out of curiosity?

route101

Established Member
Only in the last twenty years with low floor buses and getting stricter with buses letting people on and off on stops. People made do before that. Some of car drivers are utterly selfish, when the bus driver beeps or says something they do nothing or reluctantly give in. One of the worst stops is the stop at Anniesland city bound, loads of cars park and wait for their order from the Lunch place.

awsnews

If bus times.org is to be believed Dumbarton's sole E200 44906 has put in a guest appearance on the 1E this morning.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

It was never confirmed and just rumours, it was confirmed a few months back that Bath are to receive them.

As @Jordan Adam says, it was speculation about them heading to Glasgow but now confirmed they are heading to Bath.

FWoE has LEZs coming in Bath (April 2021) and Bristol (not confirmed exact date in 2021 AFAIK - they are reconsulting the public) and rather than a stepped introduction as in Glasgow, it's 100% compliance from day one.

Much of the fleet has already been converted and there was a substantial batch of new CNG gas buses earlier this year. Despite that, there are still 50 or so B7TLs plus a few older B7RLEs in the fleet. Unlike First Glasgow, with its Dumbarton and Lanarkshire operations where some older fleet can be redeployed, FWoE only has about half a dozen routes that don't hit an LEZ so it's a problem so they've headed South.

Glasgow has a bit of time on its side.

Brimfulofasha

Sorry to say but the car was most likely in the wrong for pulling into the bus stop in the first place. Where else did you expect the bus to go just out of curiosity?

That was my point - the car was in the wrong. There's very little the bus driver can do. Just annoyed that folk can be so selfish and, short of having a parking attendant physically present all the time, it cannot really be enforced. I tried to argue my point on Facebook, but most didn't see it as an issue. No doubt most of them are car and not bus-users!

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Yorkshire has loads of B9s, and to answer your question, Glasgow has had new deliveries of E400MMCs recently and York has lots of Buses anyway.
York/Yorkshire has a lot of buses and a lot of B9TLs because ironically it has a lot of routes and services which they run on. They dont just have buses for the sake of it they have them because they’re needed in service

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yorkshire has loads of B9s, and to answer your question, Glasgow has had new deliveries of E400MMCs recently and York has lots of Buses anyway.

I think the question is more like what will release Yorkshire B9s for redeployment to Glasgow? I think the current order of Streetdecks has now been completed.

Both York and Leeds also have emissions zones that they have to comply with. If you look at the Leeds depots, they've been removing most of their B7TLs and sending them to places like Halifax and Huddersfield anyway (as well as elsewhere across the UK) and so have few "modern" deckers as a consequence. York received its B9s to allow the B7TLs to be replaced and it's new deckers have allowed the Citaro bendies to move to Aberdeen.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of emission zones around the country that First (and other operators) have to deal with.

BradK2017

Alongside the Emissions Zones coming into affect,i believe (could be wrong) the likes of Huddersfield & Halifax need B9TLs also due to some of the school contracts having age/emissions limits attached to them (possibly connected to the closure of the Mybus operations by Metro)

Depending how desperate First get to hit emission targets,i think National Express West Mids have upgraded some of their B7TLs to Euro 6 so First could yet do the same

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Alongside the Emissions Zones coming into affect,i believe (could be wrong) the likes of Huddersfield & Halifax need B9TLs also due to some of the school contracts having age/emissions limits attached to them (possibly connected to the closure of the Mybus operations by Metro)

Depending how desperate First get to hit emission targets,i think National Express West Mids have upgraded some of their B7TLs to Euro 6 so First could yet do the same

Halifax certainly need to have B9s for some of their schools for age reasons and they have some e400s for their routes into Leeds; Huddersfield might need a few but their B9TLs are mainly on the Holme Valley routes IIRC but one of their main routes (X63 to Bradford) is in the hands of B7TLs. I'm sure that a local like @Andyh82 would know better but think that FWY have enough challenges.

cnjb8

Established Member
York has a small fleet compared to Glasgow, and all the other First divisions I would say. Glasgow doesn't need B7s replacing if they can and will be used on non LEZ routes, end of discussion
I think the question is more like what will release Yorkshire B9s for redeployment to Glasgow? I think the current order of Streetdecks has now been completed.

Both York and Leeds also have emissions zones that they have to comply with. If you look at the Leeds depots, they've been removing most of their B7TLs and sending them to places like Halifax and Huddersfield anyway (as well as elsewhere across the UK) and so have few "modern" deckers as a consequence. York received its B9s to allow the B7TLs to be replaced and it's new deckers have allowed the Citaro bendies to move to Aberdeen.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of emission zones around the country that First (and other operators) have to deal with.
The StreetDeck order is complete. I wouldn't expect another order with things being the way they are at the moment

lastbus

Glasgow shares the 2 2009 E200s they have between all the depots, that’s why they are sometimes at the Cally depot, and then the Scotuston one.
Not true 44905 was at Overtown now permanently at Blantyre. 44906 is scotstouns and I believe it is only on loan to Dumbarton.

APT618S

York has a small fleet compared to Glasgow, and all the other First divisions I would say. Glasgow doesn't need B7s replacing if they can and will be used on non LEZ routes, end of discussion

The StreetDeck order is complete. I wouldn't expect another order with things being the way they are at the moment
Obviously pre-Covid but back in 2017 First announced ordering 284 new buses for Leeds:
To complete this order I believe another 90-odd Streetdecks are/were due after the batch numbered 35501-35637.
Have these been delayed / cancelled due to Covid or are they still coming ?

route101

Established Member
Glasgow shares the 2 2009 E200s they have between all the depots, that’s why they are sometimes at the Cally depot, and then the Scotuston one.

Seen one on Blantyre route 205 yesterday. Never managed to get on one. There was also wee 09 plate ones too.

Seen one on Blantyre route 205 yesterday. Never managed to get on one. There was also wee 09 plate ones too.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Obviously pre-Covid but back in 2017 First announced ordering 284 new buses for Leeds:
To complete this order I believe another 90-odd Streetdecks are/were due after the batch numbered 35501-35637.
I think they signed up to a formal agreement so whilst Covid might be seen as an unforeseen event, you would expect them to have to supply their end of the bargain albeit delayed.

cnjb8

Established Member
Don't forget 35261-94 and 35301-08. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if due to Wright's terrible building quality that some would be cancelled

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
On a first number 3 today and its in first colours out side but inside is all Wright spec
The cctv display in the passenger area seems a bit stupid, the lights are far to bright and but the seats are nice

Attachments

• 16070991475028130085645404579311.jpg
    16070991475028130085645404579311.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 61
  • 16070991634416044002235932684485.jpg
    16070991634416044002235932684485.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 62
  • 16070992306421144085917671515800.jpg
    16070992306421144085917671515800.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 62

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
On a first number 3 today and its in first colours out side but inside is all Wright spec
The cctv display in the passenger area seems a bit stupid, the lights are far to bright and but the seats are nice
Please make sure that any photos you post have a caption describing each one.