• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

route101

Established Member
Pollokshields has 2 train stations and apart from where the shops are the area mostly consists of £500000+ houses with 2/3 cars each. I'm amazed the 90 attracts anyone from them onto it given that the 59 and 121 are both spt tenders too

True, not an area I pass through often, not on any main routes. Its ringfenced by a railway line and two motorways on 3 sides. Any other bus routes that used to serve Pollokshields?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
True, not an area I pass through often, not on any main routes. Its ringfenced by a railway line and two motorways on 3 sides. Any other bus routes that used to serve Pollokshields?
None that I can think of to be quite honest. There's a lot of rebuilding work in terms of homes at one end too so population who would have used the bus has probably came right down in recent years. Used the 59 a few times for Bellahouston Park and the 90 as it's handy for connections while out on a wander but can't think of any reason to serve it really. I think if there was a way to reroute the 90 to serve more populated areas but still serve Paisley Road West through Cessnock and into Ibrox they'd change the route in my opinion. Other than the extension to Braehead and slight reroutes it's a service that hasn't changed so much and been left to stagnate. Bit like the 8 too although that's had a couple of route changes too

Scotrail314209

Established Member
None that I can think of to be quite honest. There's a lot of rebuilding work in terms of homes at one end too so population who would have used the bus has probably came right down in recent years. Used the 59 a few times for Bellahouston Park and the 90 as it's handy for connections while out on a wander but can't think of any reason to serve it really. I think if there was a way to reroute the 90 to serve more populated areas but still serve Paisley Road West through Cessnock and into Ibrox they'd change the route in my opinion. Other than the extension to Braehead and slight reroutes it's a service that hasn't changed so much and been left to stagnate. Bit like the 8 too although that's had a couple of route changes too

Does Paisley Road West really need to retain the 90? It's got more than enough buses going up and down it as it is.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Does Paisley Road West really need to retain the 90? It's got more than enough buses going up and down it as it is.
Probably not although it's handy if people want to go to the QEUH without changing buses at Cardonald and it's handy for Govan. Although it's rare too I've seen people use it for Braehead too.

It's a route littered with reliability problems and always has been so could do with a trimming somewhere

route101

Established Member
I'm sure it used to go down Govan Road, changed it route a few times in this area.

The 8 to me is like the outer ring of the 90. I hate to rely on the 90 for work purposes.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'm sure it used to go down Govan Road, changed it route a few times in this area.

The 8 to me is like the outer ring of the 90. I hate to rely on the 90 for work purposes.
Yeah the 90 would be horrendous to rely on. My mate went to college in Springburn and had to use it from Maryhill. Safe to say he passed his driving test very quickly and got a car immediately. The 8 is the proper Glasgow tourist route to me. Used it plenty of times and it just takes too long to get anywhere

sannox

Pollokshields is a strange place, quiet for bus usage, has 3 infrequent routes, 59.90 and 121. Pretty sure the 90 had its route changed there too. The 11 ran via Hyndland I think too. 159, forgot about that route, was that the split from existing 59?

It did. 2009-ish the 89/90 stopped using Kenmure Street and instead ran via Nithsdale Road and St. Andrews Road. There is a decent amount of council/social housing near the rail depot, although whether that warrants the longer route...

Pollokshields has 2 train stations and apart from where the shops are the area mostly consists of £500000+ houses with 2/3 cars each. I'm amazed the 90 attracts anyone from them onto it given that the 59 and 121 are both spt tenders too

The 96/97 used to go through there back in the day. Withdrawn years ago, but probably would have been better used now ironically.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Would be interesting to see how the network would do if it was still the pre-Simplicity setup or going even further back than that. If congestion wasn't as big an issue pre pandemic I reckon we would have more cross city routes again

route101

Established Member
Would be interesting to see how the network would do if it was still the pre-Simplicity setup or going even further back than that. If congestion wasn't as big an issue pre pandemic I reckon we would have more cross city routes again

I wonder if they will bring back a route through Sighthill when that's complete. A lot of the less frequent cross city routes have gone, if not all. I guess the people that are staunch bus users are dying out and getting older. I'm often the youngest person on smaller less frequent routes.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
It did. 2009-ish the 89/90 stopped using Kenmure Street and instead ran via Nithsdale Road and St. Andrews Road. There is a decent amount of council/social housing near the rail depot, although whether that warrants the longer route...

The 96/97 used to go through there back in the day. Withdrawn years ago, but probably would have been better used now ironically.

The only incarnation of a 96 I can remember is the one that went to Springburn round about the same time as the Overground concept in 1999.

This 96 was originally the 46A that ran Castlemilk (Carmunnock Road/Ardencraig Road junction) - Stobhill Hospital (Balornock Road/Lamont Road) via Croftfoot Road, Mill Street, Rutherglen Cross, Dalmarnock Bridge, Bridgeton Cross, Bellgrove Street, Duke Street, Cumbernauld Road, Provanmill Road, Quarrywood Road, and Rye Road every 30 minutes. Combined with the 46 that ran to Easterhouse, this gave a frequency of every 15 minutes between Castlemilk and Duke Street Station. I remember the double deck Volvo Citybuses from Parkhead Garage that ran on both routes.

The normal 46 was revised to run every 20 minutes Castlemilk - Easterhouse, with the 46A being replaced with the 96 that ran St Enoch Centre - Springburn (the former Town Hall) via Glasgow Cross, Gallowgate, Bellgrove Street, Duke Street, Cumbernauld Road, Provanmill, Quarrywood Road, Rye Road, along Wallacewell Road to Standburn Road to then come back on itself, Lamont Road, Stobhill Hospital, Balornock Road, Wellfielde Street, Springburn Station, and Keppochhill Road to the Town Hall.

In 2001/02, the 96 was switched from the Town Hall at Springburn to run to the then recently opened Tesco store at the St Rollox Works. Not long after that (say six months or so) the 96 was revised that it would not run to St Enoch, but curtailed at Glasgow Cross. At the Springburn end, it was extended from the Tesco store to Buchanan Bus Station.

This incarnation of the 96 disappeared at some point, which I think that the section of route between Springburn Station and Provanmill is now covered by the 8 (the Glasgow one, not the Larbert one that runs Glasgow - Balfron and the back way to Stirling via Maryhill Road).

PaulMc7

Established Member
I wonder if they will bring back a route through Sighthill when that's complete. A lot of the less frequent cross city routes have gone, if not all. I guess the people that are staunch bus users are dying out and getting older. I'm often the youngest person on smaller less frequent routes.
I'd imagine that they might. Probably just reroute the 87 given that it replaced the 10 in the first place and that's what ran through Sighthill before. I think a lot of people have been put off by reliability and cuts tbh over the years. A lot of people never really understand the finances behind bus services and how one or two quiet areas on route can be fatal for the service overall. I also don't think a lot of people like having to get 2 buses either to get to their destination. If it's not 1 bus only and quick they won't be interested

route101

Established Member
I'd imagine that they might. Probably just reroute the 87 given that it replaced the 10 in the first place and that's what ran through Sighthill before. I think a lot of people have been put off by reliability and cuts tbh over the years. A lot of people never really understand the finances behind bus services and how one or two quiet areas on route can be fatal for the service overall. I also don't think a lot of people like having to get 2 buses either to get to their destination. If it's not 1 bus only and quick they won't be interested
I think the 89/90 routed through there too. 2 frequent buses is acceptable during the day, lower frequencies is asking for trouble. Closer to city you have more options for back routes.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think the 89/90 routed through there too. 2 frequent buses is acceptable during the day, lower frequencies is asking for trouble. Closer to city you have more options for back routes.
I think 2 every 30 mins services can work in an area if they're reliable and not due on top of each other. The problems start when they're due together and both unreliable

route101

Established Member
I think 2 every 30 mins services can work in an area if they're reliable and not due on top of each other. The problems start when they're due together and both unreliable
Imagine connecting from a 90 onto the 31 for example!

PaulMc7

Established Member
Imagine connecting from a 90 onto the 31 for example!
Funnily enough I've actually done that before haha. If they're timed properly then it's actually not bad but reliability especially with the 90 isn't always there. That's what part of the problem pre-pandemic was in Glasgow. Most of the every 30 mins services were a bit unreliable. From experience the only fairly okay ones were the 31, 46 and 64. 16 is a lottery depending on the Clyde Tunnel traffic and Crow Road, 38B/C/E were a mess at times, 8 and 90 were a bit of a lottery. Either completely fine or absolutely shocking. Individually the 1/1A/B were really inconsistent too and I'm just lucky I stay right on the borderline of all 1s so the reliability issues don't affect me as much

route101

Established Member
Funnily enough I've actually done that before haha. If they're timed properly then it's actually not bad but reliability especially with the 90 isn't always there. That's what part of the problem pre-pandemic was in Glasgow. Most of the every 30 mins services were a bit unreliable. From experience the only fairly okay ones were the 31, 46 and 64. 16 is a lottery depending on the Clyde Tunnel traffic and Crow Road, 38B/C/E were a mess at times, 8 and 90 were a bit of a lottery. Either completely fine or absolutely shocking. Individually the 1/1A/B were really inconsistent too and I'm just lucky I stay right on the borderline of all 1s so the reliability issues don't affect me as much

The 31 wasn't bad to be fair, got held up in traffic in peaks. I used to get bus half an hour or even hour sometimes to be sure especially if catching train down south from central or for exam etc.

Do miss being able to get a bus into town within 5 mins of my house !

Noticed on instagram, a guy called Leon Marshall has posted a picture of one E400 citys on a X3, I take it the interiors are still the same?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The ex-airport E400 buses are looking very smart in the new livery.

It would be nice to see more E400City buses ordered for Glasgow to add a bit of variety. I wonder what the chances of these buses all returning to the airport anytime soon will be.

Volvodart

Established Member
They would not be getting repainted if there was any chance of this. Will the contract to operate the 500 not be coming up for renewal soon (unless they got an extension when the double deckers came)?

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Wasn't there an agreement to replace the fleet every 3 years? If so the 500 would be due new buses next year anyway.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
They would not be getting repainted if there was any chance of this. Will the contract to operate the 500 not be coming up for renewal soon (unless they got an extension when the double deckers came)?
That may be a strong possibility with new vehicles for the original contract and then replacing them half way through.

route101

Established Member
The ex-airport E400 buses are looking very smart in the new livery.

It would be nice to see more E400City buses ordered for Glasgow to add a bit of variety. I wonder what the chances of these buses all returning to the airport anytime soon will be.
Yes, would be nice to see the citys, Bristol has them. Though they I prefer them in non First liveries. I wonder why they offer a City if its just the same underneath as E400mmc .

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Yes, would be nice to see the citys, Bristol has them. Though they I prefer them in non First liveries. I wonder why they offer a City if its just the same underneath as E400mmc .
The City was designed for London as an alternative to the Wright New-Routemaster. However ADL then decided to offer regional variants and also now offer it on Scania and Hydrogen chassis. It is structurally basically the same as a E400MMC but with a glazed staircase and different fibreglass ends.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I wonder if First have any intention of order any E400City for Glasgow to add some variation. They received a lot of E400MMCs and they appear to be pretty reliable and with no Streetdecks it would be a nice change from an enthusiast point of view :D

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I wonder if First have any intention of order any E400City for Glasgow to add some variation. They received a lot of E400MMCs and they appear to be pretty reliable and with no Streetdecks it would be a nice change from an enthusiast point of view :D

Not certain that they would go for City until they are looking to have alternative fuels which is a First commitment. In the meantime, makes sense to have Euro VI diesels in the meantime.

route101

Established Member
You never know. They are popular down south. 500 is only service I've been on one.

cnjb8

Established Member
As the 500 is meant to stand out from the crowd of other services, there is a good chance any diesel ADL deckers will be MMCs. Variation is great from an enthusiasts point of view, but not so much for the people that maintain the varied fleet.
As already mentioned, if electric or hydrogen ADLs come to Glasgow they are most likely to have the City body rather than MMC

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
You never know. They are popular down south. 500 is only service I've been on one.
There are some but, hence why I made the point, the ones in Bristol are to be able to accommodate the use of CNG. Not certain on the Eastern Counties ones but again, might be chassis related even though they're diesel.

As @cnjb8 says, if they continue with Euro VI diesels, they are more likely to continue with standard MMCs. If they go for CNG, Hydrogen or Electric, that's a different question.