• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I’ve never understood First’s love for singles on busy core routes. The 2, 3, 5, 6, 9 and 10 should all be decker operated.

Cesarcollie

I’ve never understood First’s love for singles on busy core routes. The 2, 3, 5, 6, 9 and 10 should all be decker operated.

Significantly lower capital and operating costs. So in most cases a saloon will suffice, even if it means a standing load on some busy journeys.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

It's so you have the frequency to protect a corridor but without the capital cost of buying double deckers rather than single deckers, nor the ongoing additional cost of operation (fuel).

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Simple, converting to deckers would require a drop in frequency and it's often been found in the past that even a slight drop in frequency can have a negative effect on passenger numbers.

When 2 of the ex First West B9TL's were on loan to West Lothian in the Spring/ Summer last year they sounded drastically quieter than when they were originally in West Lothian.

Did they have upgrades done to them?

Edit:- I'm referring to 37268/SN57JAU and 37269/SN57JBE.

Last edited:

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Funnily enough I've actually done that before haha. If they're timed properly then it's actually not bad but reliability especially with the 90 isn't always there. That's what part of the problem pre-pandemic was in Glasgow. Most of the every 30 mins services were a bit unreliable. From experience the only fairly okay ones were the 31, 46 and 64. 16 is a lottery depending on the Clyde Tunnel traffic and Crow Road, 38B/C/E were a mess at times, 8 and 90 were a bit of a lottery. Either completely fine or absolutely shocking. Individually the 1/1A/B were really inconsistent too and I'm just lucky I stay right on the borderline of all 1s so the reliability issues don't affect me as much
The 46 is infamous for being late; it loses so much time at Duke Street and Parkhead.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Have the 9/9A always been predominantly single deckers? Obviously a decker pops up from time to time but it's been single decker mainly as far as I can remember back to the days of bendys popping up on the 9 when it was Drumchapel to Linwood

The 46 is infamous for being late; it loses so much time at Duke Street and Parkhead.
Yeah from experience and looking at the app at times it runs late a lot. The traffic lights on Duke St at the train station are utterly horrendous though

Last edited:

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Have the 9/9A always been predominantly single deckers? Obviously a decker pops up from time to time but it's been single decker mainly as far as I can remember back to the days of bendys popping up on the 9 when it was Drumchapel to Linwood

Yeah from experience and looking at the app at times it runs late a lot. The traffic lights on Duke St at the train station are utterly horrendous though
Don't know if it's just the lights as the 60 and 41 don't seem to lose as much time as the 46 does.
By the the time the 46 reaches cranhill it can be up to 20 mins late

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
It would be interesting to see if the 46 makes money. It seems to receive the oldest tat going and has done for many years. Aside from the forge I’ve never really seen it pick up huge numbers in the east end.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It would be interesting to see if the 46 makes money. It seems to receive the oldest tat going and has done for many years. Aside from the forge I’ve never really seen it pick up huge numbers in the east end.
I doubt it makes too much tbh. Seen it busy from Castlemilk into Rutherglen a couple of times but other than Parkhead into Shettleston I've not seen it that busy across the rest of the route

route101

Established Member
I doubt it makes too much tbh. Seen it busy from Castlemilk into Rutherglen a couple of times but other than Parkhead into Shettleston I've not seen it that busy across the rest of the route
Yeah, seen it pick up a fair few from Castlemilk to Rutherglen. Always had old buses, was one of the last routes to see the volvo Citybuses in 2009.

Significantly lower capital and operating costs. So in most cases a saloon will suffice, even if it means a standing load on some busy journeys.
Plenty of buses with the 9 and 38, could bring the freq down and use deckers.

Its mostly eclipses with odd older gemini.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
I wonder if there's any services that could be no more but then covered by other services through the busy parts of those routes. The 64 is always one I look at and wonder just how much does it make even though I've seen it busy from Parkhead to Tollcross a couple of times. Given the proximity of the 61 to most of the 64 route I always wonder if they could create a 61A that runs Summerston to Carmyle running the 61 route to Glasgow Cross then the 64 route. Anything that keeps areas being served but reduces costs would be an interesting route to go down

route101

Established Member
I wonder if there's any services that could be no more but then covered by other services through the busy parts of those routes. The 64 is always one I look at and wonder just how much does it make even though I've seen it busy from Parkhead to Tollcross a couple of times. Given the proximity of the 61 to most of the 64 route I always wonder if they could create a 61A that runs Summerston to Carmyle running the 61 route to Glasgow Cross then the 64 route. Anything that keeps areas being served but reduces costs would be an interesting route to go down
64 serves London Road, I suppose it links to the forge, that generates passengers. As for Carmyle to City, the train is the better option.

I reckon the 21 section from Cathkin to East Kilbride, I wouldnt be surprised if that was cut.

PaulMc7

Established Member
64 serves London Road, I suppose it links to the forge, that generates passengers. As for Carmyle to City, the train is the better option.

I reckon the 21 section from Cathkin to East Kilbride, I wouldnt be surprised if that was cut.
Yeah I've seen a few passengers from London Road to Parkhead but nothing too major. Had it pretty empty when I've used it from the city centre to Parkhead a couple of times too. I'm never that sure about the 21. At peaks it can be ridiculously busy into East Kilbride but during the day it's very inconsistent. Had it really busy sometimes and then very quiet at times too. Used to use it for going to my friends and it was a really mixed bag.

I'd imagine the East Kilbride services are generally quite safe compared to others

route101

Established Member
Yeah I've seen a few passengers from London Road to Parkhead but nothing too major. Had it pretty empty when I've used it from the city centre to Parkhead a couple of times too. I'm never that sure about the 21. At peaks it can be ridiculously busy into East Kilbride but during the day it's very inconsistent. Had it really busy sometimes and then very quiet at times too. Used to use it for going to my friends and it was a really mixed bag.

I'd imagine the East Kilbride services are generally quite safe compared to others
18 is the safest route in East Kilbride, used it on Friday and had quite a decent load. 6 has been dead.

PaulMc7

Established Member
18 is the safest route in East Kilbride, used it on Friday and had quite a decent load. 6 has been dead.
Yeah I've not been out at all so no idea what the 6 is like here but a couple of months back it was as busy as the 1s here

route101

Established Member
Yeah I've not been out at all so no idea what the 6 is like here but a couple of months back it was as busy as the 1s here
I think passenger numbers are starting to pick up a little, especially with the nice weather. Hopefully you will get on a bus soon.

smtglasgow

The 64 might survive - there’s a lot of new housing popping up all over Parkhead and Dalmarnock with a lot of the gap sites finally getting filled in. I was out running along London Rd on Monday afternoon and saw a 64 with about 7 or 8 on board – that’s pretty decent these days!

There are a couple of massive developments going up at the moment on Dalmarnock Rd on the 18 route – several hundred houses/flats. Once things get back closer to how they were pre-Covid, that’s going to cause some capacity problems in the peaks, so while they might be cutting elsewhere, the 18 might need a boost.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 64 might survive - there’s a lot of new housing popping up all over Parkhead and Dalmarnock with a lot of the gap sites finally getting filled in. I was out running along London Rd on Monday afternoon and saw a 64 with about 7 or 8 on board – that’s pretty decent these days!

There are a couple of massive developments going up at the moment on Dalmarnock Rd on the 18 route – several hundred houses/flats. Once things get back closer to how they were pre-Covid, that’s going to cause some capacity problems in the peaks, so while they might be cutting elsewhere, the 18 might need a boost.
Yeah I noticed from using the 18 at peaks a lot just how busy it actually is. It's usually still busy by the time it gets into East Kilbride too so there's definite growth possible if things go well. Wonder if that may also force an increase to the 65 and 263 in particular. 46 and 90 I doubt will increase but I've seen the 65 and 263 busy enough even off peak at times to suggest an increase in frequency isn't impossible if post-covid isn't as bad as some fear

route101

Established Member
Yeah I noticed from using the 18 at peaks a lot just how busy it actually is. It's usually still busy by the time it gets into East Kilbride too so there's definite growth possible if things go well. Wonder if that may also force an increase to the 65 and 263 in particular. 46 and 90 I doubt will increase but I've seen the 65 and 263 busy enough even off peak at times to suggest an increase in frequency isn't impossible if post-covid isn't as bad as some fear
Buses will probably fare better as not so much office type commuters in Glasgow using them compared to the train. Yes the 18 carry's a good load beyond Dalmarnock, though more people are going to living there now.

263 used to be every 15 or 20 mins as well.

sannox

When it became the 9 (was that the overground in around 2001?) it was single decked. Used to be the standard bearer for the PS type.

The 39 was mostly a double deck route before that.

That would be a surprise. It is the only bus that serves St Leonards area and the quicker bus than the 6 to Glasgow from eastern side of Calderwood. That said they could re-route the 6 to serve both functions, although time to Glasgow would be a lot longer.

PaulMc7

Established Member
When it became the 9 (was that the overground in around 2001?) it was single decked. Used to be the standard bearer for the PS type.

The 39 was mostly a double deck route before that.
Yeah Overground was 2000. Didn't realise it had been majorly single decker the whole time. I was only 6 in 2000 so that's probably why I couldn't remember. Knew it had been most of the time given I've used it a lot even back in my school days but wasn't 100% sure

route101

Established Member
I thought the 9 was a lot older than 1999/2000. That said I wasn't as aware of routes back then.

PaulMc7

Established Member

On the subject of 9s, here's a change to the 9A regarding the new Penilee terminus and it being used from Monday