• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
There were plans before the current pandemic to buy new E400s for the 2 and 3 and maybe the 1s. All of course are currently on hold.
They started to brand the E300s for the 2 before the pandemic though. I think all of these routes could benefit from deckers.

On a separate note I wonder when they’ll start to debrand the B7RLEs for the 9.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
Over £40 million for zero emission buses

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/over-40-million-for-zero-emission-buses/

BYD ADL Enviro200EV - a model of electric bus from ADL which will be ordered through SULEBS

The Scottish Government has awarded £40.5 million through a second round of the Scottish Ultra-Low Emission Bus Scheme (SULEBS).
This is the largest investment yet through the SULEBS programme, and will support operators in replacing 215 old diesel buses with new battery-electric models. This is a substantial increase on the 57 buses supported through the first round and to help meet demand, the intended budget for this second round has been increased by £15 million.
With 172 of the buses to be built in Falkirk, this investment supports skilled, green manufacturing jobs in Scotland, as well as reducing transport emissions.
The Scottish Government has also published a new information and ideas pack which shows how the bus and finance sectors are innovating to speed up the transition to net-zero. This is the first report from The Bus Decarbonisation Taskforce, which brings together senior leaders from the energy, bus and finance sectors to co-design a pathway to a fully decarbonised bus fleet. The information pack identifies new routes for financing green buses that can build on government support and bring about faster fleet transformation.
Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity Michael Matheson said:
“The Scottish Ultra-Low Emission Bus Scheme continues to help drive a green recovery, responding to the global climate emergency and improving air quality.
“Ensuring a just and fair transition to a net-zero economy is a truly national endeavour and I’m delighted that the Scottish Government’s investment is matched by private investment from bus operators and the finance sector. 172 of these new buses will be manufactured in Falkirk – benefitting the Scottish bus industry and wider supply chain.
“More journeys are made by bus compared to any other public transport mode and a vibrant bus industry can provide the solutions to complex challenges in our society. By helping operators to invest in a greener fleet we can support our green recovery – and keep more people moving with fewer carbon emissions and better air quality as a result.
“Our bus decarbonisation work, both through SULEBS and the Taskforce, is part of a wider package of support for our bus industry – including long-term funding of over £500 million for bus priority infrastructure. We’re also providing support of up to £191.3 to help maintain essential services during the COVID-19 pandemic and help keep Scotland moving.”
Paul Davies, Alexander Dennis President & Managing Director said: “The Scottish Government deserves huge credit for leading by example to support bus operator’s commitment to invest in cleaner, greener buses and we are delighted that bids for 172 of our electric buses have been successful.
“These zero emission buses will be built at our factory in Falkirk and therefore ensure this Scottish Government investment is made domestically, allowing the benefits to be felt across our communities whilst helping to underpin skilled jobs. We very much look forward to working with the successful operators to finalise terms and get these vehicles into service at pace.”
Paul White, Director at CPT Scotland said: “This announcement highlights the commitment of Scotland’s bus sector to decarbonisation. The £40.5m awarded by Government will be met with investment of over £80m from bus companies to fund these 215 vehicles.
“CPT will continue to work with Scottish Government to create an operating environment that prioritises sustainable and active travel, frees buses from congestion and maximises the benefits of this investment.”
Dave Moxham – Deputy General Secretary for the STUC and member of the Just Transition Commission said: “I am delighted to see that all of the ADL buses will be manufactured in Falkirk. This is positive news for the workers who through their union have been working hard to achieve this.
“There is no doubt that we need to build on our existing domestic manufacture if we are to ensure that Scotland can be at the forefront of a net-zero industrial revolution.
“This announcement is an example of the kind of interventions we need if we are to embark on a real green recovery.”

First Glasgow No 1 Ltd​

Bid: 35 single deck ADL, 91 double deck ADL buses and infrastructure
Total funding awarded to date: £18,408,233

route101

Established Member
Was watching an old Glasgow Tram Documentary on YouTube. I stated that the 62 bus replaced the tram route in 1962 and bus replaced Maryhill to Tollcross tram, I guess the 61 in 1961. See a pattern?

18 was the tram to Burnside, and 18 still the bus today. Imagine if we still had the trams today, I guess they would be single deckers.

I remember the Ailsas but only started using buses from late 2006 so I missed them. There was still a few Citybuses in the fleet, last of the proper buses.

The President bodied B7TLs often did dupes on the 2 and 3 routes last year. Usually on the 6A otherwise, used to be on X8 too.

First Glasgow No 1 Ltd​

New buses on the way, more E200MMC and E400mmcs I guess. Least there is a decent number of deckers coming.

More likely today an E400 is liable to turn up on the 2. Wearing a service 75 or 77 livery. If you're really lucky a 38 or 41 livery.
There has been quite a few geminis on the 2 in the last year. 38 liveried buses often on the routes out of the Bus Station.

Volvodart

Established Member
Unsure if the year is correct, but First Glasgow tweeted their 126 buses are "for March 2023".

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Both the bids combined equate to 57 single deckers and 91 double deckers. So will certainly wipe out most of the B7TLs and B7RLEs.

Scott mac

There were plans before the current pandemic to buy new E400s for the 2 and 3 and maybe the 1s. All of course are currently on hold.
Who told you that? There were never any plans for these routes to get new buses since they were only upgraded in 2012/13.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bus Lightyear

Who told u that?their was never any plans for these routes to get new buses since they were only upgraded in 2012/13
That was 9 years ago so it's quite possible they were being considered for new buses. The 2 when it was the 62 used to receive new buses every 3 years probably because it had the highest turnover of any bus route in Glasgow.

I can't see the 3 ever been converted to Double Deck as the Govan to Shawlands and Scotstoun to Drumchapel sections don't justify them and there's already more than adequate provision from other routes on Shawlands to City Centre and City Centre to Scotsoun.

First Glasgow No 1 Ltd​

Considering the difficulties the industry is in just now and for an unknown period this is very welcome news.

route101

Established Member
Seen a picture of a bus on 47 route, totally forgot about that route, the display said Braehead. I recall the 22 to Braehead but not 47.

Who told u that?their was never any plans for these routes to get new buses since they were only upgraded in 2012/13
That was a rumour a long time ago around 2012 and 2013.

Bus Lightyear

Several dozen former 'A-class' Ailsas (or Alphas as some called them) lasted well into 2006 (all withdrawn by the summer of that year), all based at Scotstoun primarily for school work by the end fitted with seatbelts and crash-pads on top of the seats. And yeah, the very last ones in service carried A & B-regs; now-preserved A735 PSU was among these.

Also worth mentioning that 735 was one of only 2 Ailsas to carry Barbie 2/Willowleaf livery; B27 YYS (31221; ex-A126) was the other one. Images of both (both from the haley111 Flickr collection) dating from August (213) & May 2005 (221) linked below. The aforementioned crash-pads can clearly be seen on both vehicles.

As to the final point, a number of second-hand deckers were parachuted into the FiG fleet in the early 2000s.

Noted among these were ex-London Dennis Dominators, ex-Greater Manchester PTE Leyland Olympians, 10 ex-Hong Kong tri-axle Leyland Olympians (ex-China Motor Bus/New World First Bus) and a sole ex-Singapore Bus Services Volvo Olympian; both of the latter 2 had worked with Greater Manchester prior to flitting north. Four ex-Eastern Scottish Volvos (3 Ailsas and a sole B10M Citybus) also appeared within the same period. Linked below are two representatives of the first 2 examples (both taken by our own @awsnews), both images dating from June 2003. There may have been others besides these, but they were the ones that sprang most readily to mind.

The ex London Dennis Dominators (or Detonators as some called them) and the former GM Gardner-engined Olympians were absolutely shocking buses and weren't a patch, despite their faults, on the native Ailsas and AH Citybuses. The small number of R-type Olympians that came down from Aberdeen around that same time were a little bit better as I think they had TL11 engines.

Ailsa A123 was treated to Barbie 2 in 2002 and at the same time a similar looking First Edinburgh Citybus was transferred to First Glasgow as AH102.

First Glasgow A123 - B24 YYS | Gauze Street 22-7-03 | Andy Campbell | Flickr
First Glasgow Volvo Citybus 31217 Carmyle 12/07/05 | Flickr

Not my photos so credit to the photographer.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
That was 9 years ago so it's quite possible they were being considered for new buses. The 2 when it was the 62 used to receive new buses every 3 years probably because it had the highest turnover of any bus route in Glasgow.

I can't see the 3 ever been converted to Double Deck as the Govan to Shawlands and Scotstoun to Drumchapel sections don't justify them and there's already more than adequate provision from other routes on Shawlands to City Centre and City Centre to Scotsoun.

Considering the difficulties the industry is in just now and for an unknown period this is very welcome news.
First were always very generous with the 62 at one time. The route seen new Scania’s, Royale’s, B10LAs in the late 90s. Then got new B7Ls and B10BLEs in 2001/2002. In 2005/2006 they received new B7RLEs and then 2012 all new E300s which was the longes the route had gone without new stock.

The E500s we originally ordered for the 62 but Parkhead didn’t have the equipment or something for them at their depot so they moved to Caledonia which was a great shame. They’ve always favoured singles for the 62/2 but it would be nice to see new deckers ordered for it as it’s always been a busy route.

As for the 3 they may have shared buses at one stage but they’re very much separate routes and one requires deckers while E300s seem just fine for the other.

Bus Lightyear

First were always very generous with the 62 at one time. The route seen new Scania’s, Royale’s, B10LAs in the late 90s. Then got new B7Ls and B10BLEs in 2001/2002. In 2005/2006 they received new B7RLEs and then 2012 all new E300s which was the longes the route had gone without new stock.

The E500s we originally ordered for the 62 but Parkhead didn’t have the equipment or something for them at their depot so they moved to Caledonia which was a great shame. They’ve always favoured singles for the 62/2 but it would be nice to see new deckers ordered for it as it’s always been a busy route.

As for the 3 they may have shared buses at one stage but they’re very much separate routes and one requires deckers while E300s seem just fine for the other.
Going back even further to Strathclyde's buses days a number of AH types (Volvo CityBus) were allocated to the 62 when they were new back in 1989 and the low height Volvo Olympians in 1996.

I think some of the streets just after Baillieston terminus may have caused an issue for the length of the Tri-axles.

Last edited:

Who told you that? There were never any plans for these routes to get new buses since they were only upgraded in 2012/13.
Looking at the last few posts the numbers coming of both single and double deck electric vehicles would appear to fit that prediction.

If you mean the few single deck upgrades on the 1 these are purely cosmetic and of course can be cascaded elsewhere when new vehicles arrive.

olddriver

Seen a picture of a bus on 47 route, totally forgot about that route, the display said Braehead. I recall the 22 to Braehead but not 47.
Can’t remember the exact route but sure it started in the city centre (Douglas Street, maybe) then up through Shawlands, Thornliebank, Southpark, Priesthill, Silverburn. Not sure which way it took after that but I think it went via Penilee into Braehead. Always thought it was a nice route to drive.

Volvodart

Established Member
Looking at the last few posts the numbers coming of both single and double deck electric vehicles would appear to fit that prediction.

All the electric buses will operate from the same depot - Caledonia.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Unsure if the year is correct, but First Glasgow tweeted their 126 buses are "for March 2023".
Time to strap in for two years of speculation about what routes and what will get withdrawn.... :D

In all seriousness, the next couple of years were always going to be problematic for new bus deliveries. It does mean that the Eclipses will need to keep on running until most are 17/18 years old but for the many 2006 ones, that was always likely to be the case. However, it does provide some solace for ADL in volumes next year if not this.

Strathclyder

Established Member
The ex London Dennis Dominators (or Detonators as some called them) and the former GM Gardner-engined Olympians were absolutely shocking buses and weren't a patch, despite their faults, on the native Ailsas and AH Citybuses. The small number of R-type Olympians that came down from Aberdeen around that same time were a little bit better as I think they had TL11 engines.

Ailsa A123 was treated to Barbie 2 in 2002 and at the same time a similar looking First Edinburgh Citybus was transferred to First Glasgow as AH102.

First Glasgow A123 - B24 YYS | Gauze Street 22-7-03 | Andy Campbell | Flickr
First Glasgow Volvo Citybus 31217 Carmyle 12/07/05 | Flickr

Not my photos so credit to the photographer.
Ah, A123. Totally forgot about that one. Cheers. As for the Citybus (I mentioned it in my OP above), I beileve it was at Larkfield for bridge strike repairs when it was offically transferred from east to west; it got it's replacement roof/dome from a A-class Ailsa by all accounts.

As to the point about tri-axle deckers on the 62, the fact that the E500s lack/lacked twin-axle steer may have been one of the deciding factors against their use on the route. It's worth noting here that both of the prior double-deck tri-axle types in the fleet (the ex-CMB/NWFB Leyland Olympians and the Nordic-bodied B7Ls) put in appearences on the route over the course of their Glasgow careers (linked images from @awsnews' self-hosted website and Flickr's Mr Graham respectively). The former due to their being based at Parkhead for their time here before being transferred south again (to Eastern Counties) and the latter due to a handful being based at PH for a time (several images exist of them on the 40/40A).

Volvodart

Established Member
The Firstgroup statement says the date I was expecting - "by December 2022" - the date for completion of the Low Emissions Zone,

PaulMc7

Established Member
I do expect plenty of speculation on which routes will get new buses but at the same time it's an unpredictable thing with an order like that. Do think the end of 2022 is a good time for them though as it should allow for at least 12 months of post-pandemic time if all goes to plan this year. Clearer picture on service performance and passenger numbers by then surely

I do expect plenty of speculation on which routes will get new buses but at the same time it's an unpredictable thing with an order like that. Do think the end of 2022 is a good time for them though as it should allow for at least 12 months of post-pandemic time if all goes to plan this year. Clearer picture on service performance and passenger numbers by then surely
Given the numbers involved the December date will no doubt be the last of the orders. They will no doubt be phased in on a route by route basis.

route101

Established Member
Can’t remember the exact route but sure it started in the city centre (Douglas Street, maybe) then up through Shawlands, Thornliebank, Southpark, Priesthill, Silverburn. Not sure which way it took after that but I think it went via Penilee into Braehead. Always thought it was a nice route to drive.

I remember it in the Darnley area but must of been an extension out to Braehead. Might of been to replace the 22.

lastbus

There is more to it than just getting the buses they need to install more charging points as well. The buses will all be here by March 2023. Some will come this year.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
There is more to it than just getting the buses they need to install more charging points as well. The buses will all be here by March 2023. Some will come this year.
I guess we’ll find out which routes will be getting electric buses when charging points start appearing at terminuses.

I hope the 61 and the 2 receive some new stock for selfish reasons :D

lastbus

I guess we’ll find out which routes will be getting electric buses when charging points start appearing at terminuses.

I believe there is a charging point being installed at penilee and that the 9 will get the first batch of buses.

route101

Established Member

61 has upgraded B7TLs and 2 has E300s ha, plus a great combined frequency.

Scott mac

If you mean the few single deck upgrades on the 1 these are purely cosmetic and of course can be cascaded elsewhere when new vehicles arrive.
There's no chance that the 1 2 3 will get anything from this new order. Lots of other routes will benefit from this order. 60/60a will be one 57 57a could be an other one

FrankieB86

You are correct it used to run to the old pollok centre and interchanged with the old 48 there.
When the 48 was scrapped it ran to pollok centre before being extended replacing the 22 on the silverburn to Braehead via penilee route

Scott mac

I noticed as well the 91 double decker buses will be E400EV which are the E400City. Can anyone confirm this?

Theirs no chance that the 1 2 3 will get anything from this new order lots of other routes will benefit from this order 60/60a will be one 57 57a could be a other one
More likely that the 1, 2 and 3 which are the gold standard in First services. From a point of view of income will get the new vehicles and the 8 year old E300 and even older B9s will be cascaded to other not so deserving services.