• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
On another note, there seemed to be less cancellations today compared to most days because of the driver shortage. I highly doubt it but I'd love to be confident at some point that every single day is a lot better. Seeing the training buses from Scotstoun out on a daily basis now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On another note, there seemed to be less cancellations today compared to most days because of the driver shortage. I highly doubt it but I'd love to be confident at some point that every single day is a lot better. Seeing the training buses from Scotstoun out on a daily basis now.
Are you adding more drivers to your workforce or simply replacing them?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Are you adding more drivers to your workforce or simply replacing them?
This will always be the big thing. I'd make more cuts just to absolutely guarantee that driver shortages isn't the reason for cancellations though. Breakdowns etc are part of the industry that can't always be controlled but unless there's another massive Covid outbreak then driver availability should be fairly known. There definitely seems to be a lot more flexibility on offer though because I've had a fair few new drivers on my 2 in the morning but the bus always swaps at Scotstoun. Considering it leaves Faifley just after 7:40 that's quite something.

I remember a good while back when you'd barely ever get a driver changeover before 9am but it's a daily thing now before it.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
This will always be the big thing. I'd make more cuts just to absolutely guarantee that driver shortages isn't the reason for cancellations though. Breakdowns etc are part of the industry that can't always be controlled but unless there's another massive Covid outbreak then driver availability should be fairly known. There definitely seems to be a lot more flexibility on offer though because I've had a fair few new drivers on my 2 in the morning but the bus always swaps at Scotstoun. Considering it leaves Faifley just after 7:40 that's quite something.

I remember a good while back when you'd barely ever get a driver changeover before 9am but it's a daily thing now before it.
I know at least 1 driver has been pulled from the 9/A to cover the 2 in the morning

I know at least 1 driver has been pulled from the 9/A to cover the 2 in the morning
Given that the 9s are ran by Caley-East and the 2 by scotstoun how does that work in term of the logistics between supervisor-control desks and the drivers involved.

Caley-East drivers did partly have some of the 2’s so they obviously know the route it would just seem strange.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The bus you talk of leaves the depot at around 0530, so there will need to be a changeover before 1100 (5.5hrs maximum driving time before a break). The bus doesn't get back to Scotstoun until 1107, so that'll be the most likely reason why there's a changeover at around 8am.

The other possibility is that it is the most optimised way of running things as dictated by the Optibus scheduling system that First use

route101

Established Member
Given that the 9s are ran by Caley-East and the 2 by scotstoun how does that work in term of the logistics between supervisor-control desks and the drivers involved.

Caley-East drivers did partly have some of the 2’s so they obviously know the route it would just seem strange.
Is Caley east , the ex Parkhead part of the garage? I wonder how many drivers have a good knowledge of other depots/sides routes?

Is Caley east , the ex Parkhead part of the garage? I wonder how many drivers have a good knowledge of other depots/sides routes?
Yeah.

East - Parkhead
South - Larkfield
North - Cumbernauld

North generally has the least problems with driver retention because for many drivers the x85, x87, 87, 88, 89, 128 or M3…in other words they’ve got it somewhat cushier.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation

I only know as I use both buses daily and the driver I used to get on the 9A is now the driver I get on the 2.

Strathclyder

Established Member
The X17 became a peak only service from January 2009, prior to then it had been operating half hourly.
Cheers, knew it had been an all-day service at some stage if route branding for it existed, but wasn't 100% sure. Barring it's autumn period as the 6B, the history of that particular First Glasgow corridor has been something of a blindspot for me (ironic, considering it was one of my local routes lol).

In addition to the Cumbernauld Express within Scotland First also used the 'Express Yourself' branding on the Service 43 between Edinburgh and South Queensferry.
Off-topic, but yeah, how could I forget that? lol

LT02 NVV

Yeah.

East - Parkhead
South - Larkfield
North - Cumbernauld

North generally has the least problems with driver retention because for many drivers the x85, x87, 87, 88, 89, 128 or M3…in other words they’ve got it somewhat cushier.
Nowadays it mainly goes like this:

West Dumbartonshire - Dumbarton
West of Glasgow - Scotstoun
The East, North, and South of Glasgow - Caledonia
Lanarkshire - Overtown & Blantyre

Yeah.

East - Parkhead
South - Larkfield
North - Cumbernauld

The M3 is operated by the parkhead drivers I'm pretty sure and also the 128 is sub contracted to citybus just now.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Off-topic posts about bus lanes in Glasgow have been moved to a separate thread:

Please keep this thread for discussion of First Glasgow services and fleet.

PaulMc7

Established Member
First app update on Android since mid February happened today. I'm hoping this makes it so much more reliable and a step towards the cancellation feature coming to here. It appears Friday was just a bad morning for the 2 as it was fine this morning again.

I have noticed though that when it's a double decker it's either very busy or extremely quiet with no in-between. I wouldn't be surprised if the extremely top heavy double decker scheduling of late starts to dwindle back towards single deckers.

Update on the above.

They've wasted no time at all with getting single deckers back on the 2. Most of them are single deckers and all at the minute from Faifley seem to be

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
BYD / Enviro 200 EV 64108 seen at Alexander Dennis factory at Falkirk today. It was parked outside and visible from the public road.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Very odd allocation on the 500 a branded 41 decker (picture is my own)

Edit: 75 branded

Attachments

• PXL_20220520_183625984.jpg
    PXL_20220520_183625984.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Has there been a lot of issues with trackers on the ticket machines today? Noticed it a lot on the app where buses have run but not tracked at all. Far more than normal

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Has there been a lot of issues with trackers on the ticket machines today? Noticed it a lot on the app where buses have run but not tracked at all. Far more than normal
The issue seems to be more to do with First's "Award winning" app.