• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Is the 10 still interworked with the 57? I know the routes were split so they were no longer 10/57 between Arden & Silverburn. If so do we think the EVs will be on the 57 as well if whispers are true?
If they end up on the 10 they’ll end up on the 57 too….

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
If it means reducing frequencies off peak I'd try to push the boat out both ways so we have buses getting into the city centre just before 5am and leaving around 1am to be honest. It could certainly work on certain routes imo.
Yes, earlier services to City would be useful too, along with earlier train services.

Is the 10 still interworked with the 57? I know the routes were split so they were no longer 10/57 between Arden & Silverburn. If so do we think the EVs will be on the 57 as well if whispers are true?
I think so. Last time I seen a 10 arrive at Silverburn and depart as a 57.

Yes, earlier services to City would be useful too, along with earlier train services.

I think so. Last time I seen a 10 arrive at Silverburn and depart as a 57.
I was on an early 2 the other day. Which did not pick up or drop off all the way from Kingsway to Finnieston. That was at 0600. So where the passengers are going to magically appear to use one at 0500 would be very interesting.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I was on an early 2 the other day. Which did not pick up or drop off all the way from Kingsway to Finnieston. That was at 0600. So where the passengers are going to magically appear to use one at 0500 would be very interesting.
As someone who regularly uses the 2 that's pretty rare to be fair. When my sleep pattern was really bad I used to notice on the app and when I went out really early that the first 1 or 2 journeys for the 2 and 3 in particular could actually be close to full sometimes.

Interestingly down this neck of the woods too the 3 and 6 have first journeys that are earlier on a Sunday than any other day.

As someone who regularly uses the 2 that's pretty rare to be fair. When my sleep pattern was really bad I used to notice on the app and when I went out really early that the first 1 or 2 journeys for the 2 and 3 in particular could actually be close to full sometimes.

Interestingly down this neck of the woods too the 3 and 6 have first journeys that are earlier on a Sunday than any other day.
However not at 0500. Loadings at 0600 are few and far between.

PaulMc7

Established Member
However not at 0500. Loadings at 0600 are few and far between.
Maybe now it's harder to get decent numbers due to Covid still being around but trust me even a few months ago numbers at that time of the morning were solid. I've stood plenty of times on a 2 before 6am in the past too over the years.

Maybe now it's harder to get decent numbers due to Covid still being around but trust me even a few months ago numbers at that time of the morning were solid. I've stood plenty of times on a 2 before 6am in the past too over the years.
Even on Pre covid days I've never seen standing passengers at 0600. Maybe at 1800.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Even on Pre covid days I've never seen standing passengers at 0600. Maybe at 1800.
The 2 and 3 have been my main experiences of it. Occasionally on the 9 too but that was closer to 7am than 5/6.

Even with the 1s these days they've started to be quieter at 7:30-8:30am into Glasgow but then really busy for a while after 9am. Job flexibility being more key than ever has definitely created a very different busy period on buses

The 2 and 3 have been my main experiences of it. Occasionally on the 9 too but that was closer to 7am than 5/6.

Even with the 1s these days they've started to be quieter at 7:30-8:30am into Glasgow but then really busy for a while after 9am. Job flexibility being more key than ever has definitely created a very different busy period on buses
All public transport is quieter since people are meant to work from home. Unless they are critical workers.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
All public transport is quieter since people are meant to work from home. Unless they are critical workers.
This is definitely not the case. My bus from Saltcoats to Ayr in the mornings and afternoons are absolutely packed with people going to work in the morning and coming home in the afternoon.

Public transport is definitely not quieter.

Since when?
Since the First Ministers latest announcement earlier in the week.

People should again be working from home. So as not to spread or catch the latest version of the virus.

You should also be taking tests before any visit to public places like pubs or restaurants or public areas. That could mean daily free testing.

There even are more testing centres opening up. Like one outside the Central Station in Glasgow.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Since the First Ministers latest announcement earlier in the week.

People should again be working from home. So as not to spread or catch the latest version of the virus.

You should also be taking tests before any visit to public places like pubs or restaurants or public areas. That could mean daily free testing.

There even are more testing centres opening up. Like one outside the Central Station in Glasgow.

The buses are definitely not quiet. The 18s have been standing room only recently.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The buses are definitely not quiet. The 18s have been standing room only recently.
Granted the 2 having major driver shortages in recent weeks is probably a factor they've been the same a lot of the time even when there's multiple together. In the morning there's always at least one missing from Faifley between 7am and 8am.

Jarcoed

Personally, I'd like to see the 46 get something new since it's quite a popular route every time I've been on it. However, It's quite lengthy - I'm surprised the B7RLE's can even handle it!

Granted the 2 having major driver shortages in recent weeks is probably a factor they've been the same a lot of the time even when there's multiple together. In the morning there's always at least one missing from Faifley between 7am and 8am.
The driver shortage seems to be covered in part by the use of Service Managers.

Was on a 1 yesterday driven by a Manager. Today the same Manager was covering an M60.

Good use of Managers who after all need to keep on top of driving skills and could teach normal drivers civility to customers and driving skills.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The driver shortage seems to be covered in part by the use of Service Managers.

Was on a 1 yesterday driven by a Manager. Today the same Manager was covering an M60.

Good use of Managers who after all need to keep on top of driving skills and could teach normal drivers civility to customers and driving skills.
Very good point to be fair. In the past 3 weeks of getting the same 2 I think my bus has swapped to the same driver 3 times in that 3 weeks and it always swaps. I cannot remember a time ever where that's been the case. It used to be easy to predict who you'd get depending on when you got the bus but now it's guesswork but to be fair I've not had an angry or rude driver in a long time so it's no issue.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Personally, I'd like to see the 46 get something new since it's quite a popular route every time I've been on it. However, It's quite lengthy - I'm surprised the B7RLE's can even handle it!
The 46 route tends to get buses that are coming to the end of their road. It was notorious for having a lot of the Volvo B10Ms and latterly tridents. However if the rumours are true that’ll all change if they start being operated by the new E200EVs.

Jarcoed

The 46 route tends to get buses that are coming to the end of their road. It was notorious for having a lot of the Volvo B10Ms and latterly tridents. However if the rumours are true that’ll all change if they start being operated by the new E200EVs.
Something different isn't it? Just need to keep hoping for now...

route101

Established Member
Last time I was home, between 7 and 8 am I waited a while for a 6.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Seen plenty of not in services or buses only running to the city centre in a short space of time earlier. Driver shortage only seems to be getting worse it seems.

There's also been loads of buses Scotstoun/Yoker direction missing today too. Either a timetable change has to be instant or communication from the depots to the social media has to be better or I can see people going away from buses pretty quickly because I think more people than ever know it's not good enough.

Even though the driver shortage isn't fully First's fault IMO there's a lot that must improve or it'll only get worse for First here.

overthewater

Established Member
Did the new pay offer get accepted in Glasgow?

Yes:

More than 1300 First Bus drivers in Glasgow are set to receive pay rises of up to 21.5% after a deal was secured.

Unite Scotland on Wednesday announced that drivers had accepted the offer after months of negotiations.

The pay rises will be between 6% and 21.5% over the next two years, depending on length of service.

Drivers currently in their second year of service, paid £10.70 per hour, will receive £13 from August next year.
Agreements have been reached on improvements to rosters, unpaid break times and on a shorter working week, including a 12-hours maximum length of shift.

A £300 ‘thank you’ payment is part of a UK-wide agreement.

The union said it had also secured a commitment from First Bus Glasgow to recruit and train additional drivers, having highlighted an increasing number leaving the industry in search of better paid jobs.

Sharon Graham, Unite general secretary, said the union has worked hard to secure the best possible result.
“The inflation busting pay deal for many of our drivers in First Glasgow is industry leading,” she said.

“Unite has been working hard over a number of months to secure the best possible result.

“We are determined to improve the job, pay and conditions of our members, and this pay deal should be a benchmark for all other bus companies to follow.”

Wendy Dunsmore, Unite industrial officer, added: “We are delighted to get this pay deal over the line with First Glasgow.

“It will ensure a substantial pay rise for many of our members over the next two years.

“We are particularly pleased that through our negotiations it will now take a driver two years to reach the top pay band instead of five.

“In addition, we have secured a commitment from First Glasgow to implement a shorter working week along with a recruitment and retention drive to ensure that we jointly address the driver shortages being experienced across Glasgow.”

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yes:

Hopefully this will bring about the end of losing more drivers.

There's been plenty of cancellations around lately.

Two 2s infront of mines after work weren't running according to my driver and in the morning there's still not been a day without at least one missing.

Hopefully the conditions improve and keep getting better though. It's a must in any industry especially now

DC21

Noticed on a service 254 a black box attached to a grab pole next to the disabled area. Branded 'Tripper', is this going to be a new smart ticketing system?