• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Used the 1st app and was waiting for a 26 which didnt show , but app didnt tell me it was cancelled
They were testing the cancellation feature in the app for a long time at Livingston and it rarely showed more than the same 26 and 600 journeys as cancelled even when they actually ran.

The only area that really seen regular cancellations showing at any point was the Alloa services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The only area that really seen regular cancellations showing at any point was the Alloa services.
Maybe because the Alloa services (51/52) are the most frequent services at Bannockburn and therefore subject to the most cancellations?

Are you sure First are still "testing" the cancellations, and it's not a case of depots failing to input them into the system? I noticed today that the first parts of missing duties at Bannockburn were listed on the website, but not the second parts. Customer services are saying "if a service is not listed on the cancellation list, it is scheduled to run", which is blatantly incorrect.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Maybe because the Alloa services (51/52) are the most frequent services at Bannockburn and therefore subject to the most cancellations?

Are you sure First are still "testing" the cancellations, and it's not a case of depots failing to input them into the system? I noticed today that the first parts of missing duties at Bannockburn were listed on the website, but not the second parts. Customer services are saying "if a service is not listed on the cancellation list, it is scheduled to run", which is blatantly incorrect.
They're both every half hour currently so it's not the frequency. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if it was the depots but the communication from the depots in the areas that aren't Glasgow seems miles better regarding cancellations even if they're not perfect. The reason I think it's testing too is that it was the exact same 2 journeys on an almost daily basis. I can only recall one day where more than that showed as cancelled in West Lothian. Falkirk services had a few for about a week and never anything else either.

First's whole customer service strategy hasn't worked anywhere to be honest and it's one of my biggest hates of them. It should be staff at the depots in charge of constant social media use and making sure cancellations are passed onto customers properly even last minute ones. Management need to remember it's 2022 and online and social media use have never been more key.

I hope Mcgills do it right but I'm not confident given my experience of their Renfrewshire/Inverclyde operation. Their Twitter is pretty much ignored too and I don't think anyone should 100% expect cancellation lists constantly. There seems to be a lot of naivety around their takeover and being seen as some sort of "white knight" from what I've read and heard people say. I think a lot are in for a major reality check on that.

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
They're both every half hour currently so it's not the frequency. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if it was the depots but the communication from the depots in the areas that aren't Glasgow seems miles better regarding cancellations even if they're not perfect. The reason I think it's testing too is that it was the exact same 2 journeys on an almost daily basis. I can only recall one day where more than that showed as cancelled in West Lothian. Falkirk services had a few for about a week and never anything else either.

First's whole customer service strategy hasn't worked anywhere to be honest and it's one of my biggest hates of them. It should be staff at the depots in charge of constant social media use and making sure cancellations are passed onto customers properly even last minute ones. Management need to remember it's 2022 and online and social media use have never been more key.

I hope Mcgills do it right but I'm not confident given my experience of their Renfrewshire/Inverclyde operation. Their Twitter is pretty much ignored too and I don't think anyone should 100% expect cancellation lists constantly. There seems to be a lot of naivety around their takeover and being seen as some sort of "white knight" from what I've read and heard people say. I think a lot are in for a major reality check on that.
I’m trying to work out what’s better. Having a central customer service team for social media like First do, which doesn’t work. Or having a local customer service team like McGills do (but due to the actions of a small few) who’s twitter is for info only, which again doesn’t work for overwhelming majority of customers. It’s 2022, and neither of these are practical in any capacity. Twitter has even had several new privacy functions added in the last year too. People I would say would like answers typically in around no more than 10-15 minutes (if even that, customers usually want things quicker than they’ll get it) and for McGills you’ll wait days (or possibly never get an answer) and with First you’ll get a message usually no earlier than 2 hours after your bus has gone (or should’ve gone) saying something like ‘I hope you managed to catch your bus’.

Don’t get me wrong Stagecoach’s isn’t brilliant but at least you’ll get a reasonable solution from it. For me Lothian’s is far superior to most, and even that could still be improved. You’ll 99 times out of 100 get an answer within 30 minutes. That’s all the customer wants, a clear and simple answer in a reasonable timeframe. That shouldn’t be difficult to achieve in this day and age.

How can either of these approaches from McGills and especially First be deemed useful to the customer? They’re not. McGills and First are lightyears behind the rest when it comes to this.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I’m trying to work out what’s better. Having a central customer service team for social media like First do, which doesn’t work. Or having a local customer service team like McGills do (but due to the actions of a small few) who’s twitter is for info only, which again doesn’t work for overwhelming majority of customers. It’s 2022, and neither of these are practical in any capacity. Twitter has even had several new privacy functions added in the last year too. People I would say would like answers typically in around no more than 10-15 minutes (if even that, customers usually want things quicker than they’ll get it) and for McGills you’ll wait days (or possibly never get an answer) and with First you’ll get a message usually no earlier than 2 hours after your bus has gone (or should’ve gone) saying something like ‘I hope you managed to catch your bus’.

Don’t get me wrong Stagecoach’s isn’t brilliant but at least you’ll get a reasonable solution from it. For me Lothian’s is far superior to most, and even that could still be improved. You’ll 99 times out of 100 get an answer within 30 minutes. That’s all the customer wants, a clear and simple answer in a reasonable timeframe. That shouldn’t be difficult to achieve in this day and age.

How can either of these approaches from McGills and especially First be deemed useful to the customer? They’re not. McGills and First are lightyears behind the rest when it comes to this.
I fully agree with you. The app and customer service should be the best thing about any operator in 2022. If you want more fare paying passengers they're the most likely to use the technology approach for tickets and checking journeys and it's part of why the numbers of them drop so much.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I fully agree with you. The app and customer service should be the best thing about any operator in 2022. If you want more fare paying passengers they're the most likely to use the technology approach for tickets and checking journeys and it's part of why the numbers of them drop so much.
Definitely. After all social media is where many people find out information these days. It’s in the interest of every operator to improve their customer service, after all that’s how you win and keep most customers, and it’s something every operator should take pride in. Simple fares and a consistent timetable are just some of the others.

Worth pointing out that Lothian aren’t perfect either, they’ve been very poor when it comes to announcing journey cancellations. But the general 1:1 customer service is very good.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Definitely. After all social media is where many people find out information these days. It’s in the interest of every operator to improve their customer service, after all that’s how you win and keep most customers, and it’s something every operator should take pride in. Simple fares and a consistent timetable are just some of the others.

Worth pointing out that Lothian aren’t perfect either, they’ve been very poor when it comes to announcing journey cancellations. But the general 1:1 customer service is very good.
I think the problem with the industry in general to be honest, is that it struggles to get with the times more than other industries. Time moved very quickly with how information needs to be put across. The days of people just turning up to stops aimlessly are long gone.

More needs to be put into maintenance too. People expect comfort and especially with First, people didn't get that. I don't expect Mcgills to be that much better but compared to First, I think their maintenance is a little bit better.

XAM2175

Established Member
People I would say would like answers typically in around no more than 10-15 minutes (if even that, customers usually want things quicker than they’ll get it) and for McGills you’ll wait days (or possibly never get an answer) and with First you’ll get a message usually no earlier than 2 hours after your bus has gone (or should’ve gone) saying something like ‘I hope you managed to catch your bus’.
They can be a bit shabby indeed; my most recent contact attempt with McGills - a simple question about a single fare - was never acknowledged or replied to, and in my most recent attempt with First it took them over a week to send a reply that completely misunderstood every single aspect of my message.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I think it goes without saying the overall age of the Scotland East fleet is too old. Clearly McGills will need to invest in stock, and presumably at some point in the coming weeks/months we’ll see transfers from the sister companies. Citaros, Enviro200’s and Eclipse2’s are all realistic in my view. I think McGills will want rid of anything that’s 2006 or older in the not too distant future. It would be nice if some of the newer stock was refurbished too but that’s probably less likely to happen.

I think it goes without saying the overall age of the Scotland East fleet is too old. Clearly McGills will need to invest in stock, and presumably at some point in the coming weeks/months we’ll see transfers from the sister companies. Citaros, Enviro200’s and Eclipse2’s are all realistic in my view. I think McGills will want rid of anything that’s 2006 or older in the not too distant future. It would be nice if some of the newer stock was refurbished too but that’s probably less likely to happen.
Yep, They were operating Alexander RH Olympians during 2016 when they closed East Lothian Operations, First will use every bus until the last bash. I would expect some new buses to go to Eastern Scottish as well as Midland Bluebird, and I think that some of the spares from Dundee will come down here, perhaps some of the later Gemini's.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Theres already 2 Eclipse bodied buses repainted in Johnstone although im not sure weather they’re B7RLEs or Pulsars however i believe there are some of both moving up to the Scotland East region

Observer

Theres already 2 Eclipse bodied buses repainted in Johnstone although im not sure weather they’re B7RLEs or Pulsars however i believe there are some of both moving up to the Scotland East region
Wonder if they might look at reopening the paint shop at Larbert, now that Caledonia will no longer be an option.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Wonder if this could be some of 2230-2239 and 6001-6010?

Having had a look through a fleet list (which may or may not be 100% accurate), 2401-2411, and some of 4111-4121 I think are still in reserve too. There’s a few Enviro200’s, 300’s and Solos as well. Again I’m not exactly up to scratch with what’s what in terms of the state of these buses but at a first glance these could be potential options.

Wonder if this could be some of 2230-2239 and 6001-6010?

Having had a look through a fleet list (which may or may not be 100% accurate), 2401-2411, and some of 4111-4121 I think are still in reserve too. There’s a few Enviro200’s, 300’s and Solos as well. Again I’m not exactly up to scratch with what’s what in terms of the state of these buses but at a first glance these could be potential options.
I'm not really up-to-date either, but they do look like good options, the Solo's will be good for local services in the fleet, or evening country services, albeit, I may be a bit behind on this.

E.g. F25, The Falkirk Circular (I believe.)

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
They can be a bit shabby indeed; my most recent contact attempt with McGills - a simple question about a single fare - was never acknowledged or replied to, and in my most recent attempt with First it took them over a week to send a reply that completely misunderstood every single aspect of my message.
Is not better to call up?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I’m sure Metro newspapers are the same and they will be withdrawn as per the West and Dundee.
Do they still provide Metro Newspapers at FSE? They were withdrawn in Aberdeen a number of years ago due to supply issues iirc, although most buses have retained the boxes in the luggage rack.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As First Scotland East and Midland Bluebird are to be under new owners, I have moved some of the most recent posts to a new thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.