• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That's great, cheers .

I noticed before hand it had "Diamond" logos, I know this is of topic here but it follows up on my original question.

Is Diamond Bus part of First Bus?
Diamond Bus is owned by Rotala. They simply bought Bolton depot from First though the fleet wasn’t purchased but hired to Rotala until they purchased their own vehicles.

However, whilst most vehicles did eventually return to First at the end of this loan period, Rotala did eventually buy a few Eclipses from First.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Diamond Bus is owned by Rotala. They simply bought Bolton depot from First though the fleet wasn’t purchased but hired to Rotala until they purchased their own vehicles.

However, whilst most vehicles did eventually return to First at the end of this loan period, Rotala did eventually buy a few Eclipses from First.
Ahh right, so I'm guessing that they've got a whole fleet now (no more loans)?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Ahh right, so I'm guessing that they've got a whole fleet now (no more loans)?
Rotala invested in a fleet of 90 Wright Streetdecks (ironically a number were built for First Leeds but delivered to Rotala) plus some secondhand Citaros and e200s from YourBus at Heanor and a number of intra-group transfers.

A number of vehicles left on the transfer (which the Citaros replaced). The influx of additional vehicles allowed a large number of e400s (and some B9TLs) on loan to return to First ending up in Dorset, Bath and Wells, Leicester, and South Yorkshire. The Eclipses were left on loan and whilst some have returned to First, a number were subsequently purchased by Rotala.

cnjb8

Established Member
Depends. You'll have to wait and see unfortunately.

Glasgow also have a batch of the ex Rotala B7RLE loanees to be converted to driver trainers

Rotala invested in a fleet of 90 Wright Streetdecks (ironically a number were built for First Leeds but delivered to Rotala) plus some secondhand Citaros and e200s from YourBus at Heanor and a number of intra-group transfers.

A number of vehicles left on the transfer (which the Citaros replaced). The influx of additional vehicles allowed a large number of e400s (and some B9TLs) on loan to return to First ending up in Dorset, Bath and Wells, Leicester, and South Yorkshire. The Eclipses were left on loan and whilst some have returned to First, a number were subsequently purchased by Rotala.
Oh I thought he meant the loans from Glasgow to Scotland East!

cnjb8

Established Member
Apologies if this is off piste but quite a number of the ex First Bolton B7RLEs are still with Rotala, thirteen of them now being at Preston.
Yep, they were purchased by Rotala as the remaining StreetDecks to replace them were delayed

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The darts are minibuses, so most likely not. They could be replacing the Scanias or just be here for COVID extras
It's possible they may be displacing Streetlites which in turn will replace the three Darts. They've already frequently been using 47xxx Streetlites on the 68. They have West Lothian vinyl's so they're definitely not replacing Scanias (all of which are at Midland), not to mention many of the L94UBs have recently been repainted.

On another note i'm surprised it hadn't already been posted here but 36023 has been repainted in to a Alexander's (Midland) heritage livery. There were photos of it posted on multiple Facebook groups however they have since been removed. Regardless it looks very smart!

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Having found this thread, I am aware that the section of the Glasgow - Falkirk and Stirling via Kilsyth of the 24/27 between Glasgow and Kilsyth is now covered (and transferred from Larbert to Glasgow) by the 89, and Kilsyth - Falkirk is covered by the 35 (still based at Larbert, and runs to and from Condorrat via Croy).

What happened to the Kilsyth - Stirling section, as by looking both on the section of First's website and hovering a cursor on the bus stops in Kilsyth, I cannot see any Stirling buses anymore?

Having found this thread, I am aware that the section of the Glasgow - Falkirk and Stirling via Kilsyth of the 24/27 between Glasgow and Kilsyth is now covered (and transferred from Larbert to Glasgow) by the 89, and Kilsyth - Falkirk is covered by the 35 (still based at Larbert, and runs to and from Condorrat via Croy).

What happened to the Kilsyth - Stirling section, as by looking both on the section of First's website and hovering a cursor on the bus stops in Kilsyth, I cannot see any Stirling buses anymore?
Not direct but you would go from Kilsyth to haggs or dennyloanhead on 35 then change to an x36 to Stirling .
if wishing to do the old 24 journey from Glasgow to Stirling you would do 89 Glasgow to Kilsyth and as I say 35 for the section to haggs and x36 to Stirling .

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Not direct but you would go from Kilsyth to haggs or dennyloanhead on 35 then change to an x36 to Stirling .
if wishing to do the old 24 journey from Glasgow to Stirling you would do 89 Glasgow to Kilsyth and as I say 35 for the section to haggs and x36 to Stirling .
The timings of the 35 and X36 wouldn't make this connection possible without a 45 minute wait.

It's a shame the 35 doesn't continue all the way to Cumbernauld Town Centre as the current timings would allow for interchange with the X36 to/from Stirling. However such an extension would require an extra bus which is likely not viable.

* New Post*

As mentioned previously 36023 has been repainted in to a heritage livery celebrating 60 years since the split of Alexanders in to three separate operating (Northern/Midland/Fife). Photos of it have now been posted on Flickr.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
I always wonder just how many people in Condorrat use the 35 and whether it would be better going to Cumbernauld Town Centre instead. I think it would be workable but pretty tight for time given that the full route is pretty tight as it is especially for recovery time at Condorrat.

The connectivity benefit would be solid I'd imagine but whether people would use it is another thing. Canavan Travel's 43 already operates Kilsyth to Cumbernauld Town Centre too so I guess the link is already there just not with First which is unfortunate. Just noticed too though that with the 35 route in Condorrat you can link onto both the X36 and X37 so maybe that's why it is what it is currently.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I always wonder just how many people in Condorrat use the 35 and whether it would be better going to Cumbernauld Town Centre instead. I think it would be workable but pretty tight for time given that the full route is pretty tight as it is especially for recovery time at Condorrat.

The connectivity benefit would be solid I'd imagine but whether people would use it is another thing. Canavan Travel's 43 already operates Kilsyth to Cumbernauld Town Centre too so I guess the link is already there just not with First which is unfortunate. Just noticed too though that with the 35 route in Condorrat you can link onto both the X36 and X37 so maybe that's why it is what it is currently.
The only way i could see it working without needing an extra bus is if they had the 35 interworking with another hourly route in Falkirk, perhaps the X37.

So for example a 35 getting in to Falkirk at :50 past the hour would depart on the X37 at :00 past the hour, and a X37 getting in at :20 past the hour would depart on the 35 at :30 past the hour etc.

Strathclyder

Established Member
As mentioned previously 36023 has been repainted in to a heritage livery celebrating 60 years since the split of Alexanders in to three separate operating (Northern/Midland/Fife). Photos of it have now been posted on Flickr.
Very smart indeed; somewhat makes up for 32657's loss a few months ago (different division of First I know lol).

Just curious to know, are there any loaned buses currently at First Scotland East in particular Livingston?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if there is any upcoming service changes in particular the possibility of service 600 being extended back to Edinburgh Airport?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
36028 has now been repainted in to a Midland Scottish Heritage livery, this joins 36023 which was done last month. .

Status
Not open for further replies.