• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swanny200

It will return to Airport once the Airport is back up and fully functioning or at least at a level that requires a service.

All operators do ,the airport basically auction of the stances they have when the tender expires .

Or they could put bus stops on Howden West Road with a new pedestrian crossing for the side with Coop on it and operators could alter if required to use Eagle Brae and Burnbank to allow services to continue in correct direction , there is ample room to facilitate this if as they claim Hospital grounds cant cope with the public transport numbers using it.
What they cannot do is allow 1 or 2 operators carte blanche and exclude who they choose ,surely.

I used to live round the corner and believe me, it isn't the first time I have witnessed a traffic jam where a taxi or multiple parked cars picking up outside the main entrance have made buses and the rest back up and block the entrance into the Ambulance bay, that bit of road was poorly designed when I lived there, don't know if it has been improved in the last 5 years, having buses go elsewhere would be the start of a good option or maybe an entrance/exit across from St Margarets with a bus stop at the rear of the hospital in a one way system would work, that side of the hospital is staff only IIRC and usually pretty empty for the amount of car parking space there is there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
If thats how the hospital choses to deal with too many vehicles using their land, therfore making it difficult for Ambulances, they can do that.

I dont agree with it, but they can do that.

All they'll see is both operators operating the same/similar services and that people can change elsewhere, so to the hospital - its easy to make space by getting rid of an operator.

First have 14 buses per hour passing through at the moment while Lothian have 24 per hour. So it could be very easy for First to turn around and say "well you've let Lothian have this many buses, why not us". Obviously i'm not saying that is what the hospital are doing, i'm merely just putting the case out there. I can understand the Hospital's view point but it's arguably their own fault for having such a unsuitable layout. Buses aside they shouldn't have everything going in through one entrance, especially not on a road that's quite narrow.

LiviCrazy

I used to live round the corner and believe me, it isn't the first time I have witnessed a traffic jam where a taxi or multiple parked cars picking up outside the main entrance have made buses and the rest back up and block the entrance into the Ambulance bay, that bit of road was poorly designed when I lived there, don't know if it has been improved in the last 5 years, having buses go elsewhere would be the start of a good option or maybe an entrance/exit across from St Margarets with a bus stop at the rear of the hospital in a one way system would work, that side of the hospital is staff only IIRC and usually pretty empty for the amount of car parking space there is there.
I seem to remember it working quite well with the buses going in front of the Health Centre. I think that was back when they were extending the A&E. the road layout is still there, blocked by plant pots last time I was up that way.

overthewater

Established Member
First have 14 buses per hour passing through at the moment while Lothian have 24 per hour. So it could be very easy for First to turn around and say "well you've let Lothian have this many buses, why not us". Obviously i'm not saying that is what the hospital are doing, i'm merely just putting the case out there. I can understand the Hospital's view point but it's arguably their own fault for having such a unsuitable layout. Buses aside they shouldn't have everything going in through one entrance, especially not on a road that's quite narrow.
If you add in X40, 31s, there even more buses at time. It seems the whole site has no forward planning from anyone. Would it not be better to make both roads two ways, (make the buses come in where its current go out and put up 3 new bus stop where the current Disabled bays are and then have a new bit of road to take the buses back out to Howen Road, just before barriers?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Does anyone know why the First Scotland East twitter page keeps getting restricted?

Keeps happening with the Glasgow one too. I think it could be because the responses from the staff using the accounts are usually quite generic so probably mistaken for spam by Twitter.

lastbus

Keeps happening with the Glasgow one too. I think it could be because the responses from the staff using the accounts are usually quite generic so probably mistaken for spam by Twitter.
People trying to hack them that’s the problem.

Volvodart

Established Member
I think two Scania single deckers have been reinstated to replace them.

overthewater

Established Member
How is the spilt on the No38 going? has there been much complaints? Are passengers just dealing with it.

route101

Established Member
Had funny moment on the 52 today, guy was refused travel for having trousers covered in paint, perhaps a bit OTT by the driver.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Had funny moment on the 52 today, guy was refused travel for having trousers covered in paint, perhaps a bit OTT by the driver.
I've seen drivers not allow people on their bus with full unopened tins of paint but never anything more than that. Does seem a bit OTT

route101

Established Member
I've seen drivers not allow people on their bus with full unopened tins of paint but never anything more than that. Does seem a bit OTT

The guy said it was dry on his trousers, looked like a painter, he didnt argue any more than that.

overthewater

Established Member
I think Boxing day will be hardest hit along with the 2nd of January, you have to wonder if people would want to go out to Next sale and stand in even BIGGER ques to get in to control social Distancing. Would the current funding allow the "Extra boost to wages" to operate these routes?

It has been confirmed on another thread that there will be Christmas and New Year's Day services in West Lothian

Last edited by a moderator:

overthewater

Established Member
Cheers for that, and network has been scaled back.

What is rather interesting is the tender has been split in two, with First operating 26 and 600, While Lothian get 280, X27, x28, 275 plus the biggest shock the 31, So people in Linlithgow still get a bus but not to Edinburgh. 31 is interesting, could be handing if the main tenders where to change in 2021...
Is there going to be a massive change in bus service next year?

Is there going to be a massive change in bus service next year?
From what I recall a rethink of the tendered services was due around April 2020. But with all routes coming into question due to the virus situation the council postponed their review for about a year. Of course it's very difficult to predict what will actually happen in 2021.

overthewater

Established Member
The Council also don't know IF the current commercial network will still stand the test of time, However a few routes are staying no matter what: 31, 34 and 40.

Council are also hopping to get the 29 back to Bathgate, The name of the game is to cut cost..

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Any chance First will scale their network down in West Lothian? With the entire region going into Level 4 lockdown

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
NO, Schools are open and so is the Hospital, so bus network must stay the same.

that’s one way to respond o_O

i‘m mostly talking about journeys in and out of the city, I get folk still travel to work but because of the restrictions and cases increasing would more or less buses be the right way to go?

wonder what LCB will do

Status
Not open for further replies.