• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
I do really like that they're offering part-time driving roles though, that's something I don't think the competitors offer.
It's flexibility that is massively needed to be fair. Without that you'll have no chance these days in any industry.

The basics of any workplace need to be good working conditions and good flexibility for staff. If you get that right then there's hope.

Last edited:

Observer

I do really like that they're offering part-time driving roles though, that's something I don't think the competitors offer.
I am sure this was brought up before and the shifts were still bad and you could only work for them alone, nothing else was allowed.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I am sure this was brought up before and the shifts were still bad and you could only work for them alone, nothing else was allowed.
Now that you mention it I think I remember this. Not all hours of the day suit certain people the same as any job but there definitely needs to be some sort of flexible rota system that gives all drivers a chance of decent shifts. I'm not saying go full rest day system like Scotrail but something different to take pressure off of drivers.

mb88

I applied for a part time position with First and was told that it is only 5 hour shifts and because I wanted 3 days but full shifts they couldn’t offer me a position.

I’m just saying but we pulled out of Deans South and the x25 was behind carrying fresh air…

The 280 was not..

I’ve spoken briefly today with a few drivers at Livingstone whilst on my break and most are in agreement that the larger majority are waiting on the 280 now, even if the x25 shows up.

This LC vehicle I was sat on is actually older than some of First Livingstons newest vehicles, this B7 was quiet, warm & smooth, this bus is simply more inviting to sit & travel on.

FYI.

Drove 63157 on the 20 today, run dead from Longstone to Livingstons decided to go the M8, it was a bad idea, The usual Amber emission light on, any sort of tiny, minuscule incline from 50mph all the way down to 30-35mph, these are the reason Livingston has losts drivers.

The general sense at First Scotland East is that it’s either larburt being the scrap yard or Livingstons diabolically maintained vehicles causing us frustration.

Attachments

• C0CC8462-2EB0-4603-ADB4-04B2CDC82618.jpeg
    C0CC8462-2EB0-4603-ADB4-04B2CDC82618.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
It only took a week but the timetables are now actually showing on the app for West Lothian. I knew it would happen the second timetables changed in Glasgow given how bad the app is for causing issues in the next operation from changes. It was always bound to reverse itself out this week

exeter 50044

I have just seen the cancellations for today for West Lothian, and it looks like half of the services are cancelled. If this is a Sunday what is it going to be like for a Monday to Friday service? Notice that the Edinburgh services are not cancelled.
The way this is going First are going to push customers to LCB, if this has not happened already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bus Lightyear

given how bad the app is for causing issues in the next operation from changes
How could you could possibly know this? Or how is it the fault of the app?

Drove 63157 on the 20 today, run dead from Longstone to Livingstons decided to go the M8, it was a bad idea, The usual Amber emission light on, any sort of tiny, minuscule incline from 50mph all the way down to 30-35mph, these are the reason Livingston has losts drivers.
Given that there's thousands of these buses running throughout the UK and Ireland there must have been a huge amount of drivers quit over the last 10 years because of them.

PaulMc7

Established Member
How could you could possibly know this? Or how is it the fault of the app?
Maybe the fact it happens with almost every service change involving Greater Glasgow or Stirling/Falkirk/West Lothian?

Bus Lightyear

Maybe the fact it happens with almost every service change involving Greater Glasgow or Stirling/Falkirk/West Lothian?
Again, why not write to the company as the management/customer support team are hardly going to waste their time reading this forum.

lastbus

I’m just saying but we pulled out of Deans South and the x25 was behind carrying fresh air…

The 280 was not..

I’ve spoken briefly today with a few drivers at Livingstone whilst on my break and most are in agreement that the larger majority are waiting on the 280 now, even if the x25 shows up.

This LC vehicle I was sat on is actually older than some of First Livingstons newest vehicles, this B7 was quiet, warm & smooth, this bus is simply more inviting to sit & travel on.

FYI.

The general sense at First Scotland East is that it’s either larburt being the scrap yard or Livingstons diabolically maintained vehicles causing us frustration.
You are aware of Firsts social media policy? If you are employed by First I’d start watching what you are posting given you’ve just told them what bus you were driving and when? Also you do know the policy for going off route at first considering you’ve stated you decided to go the M8?

You are aware of Firsts social media policy? If you are employed by First I’d start watching what you are posting given you’ve just told them what bus you were driving and when? Also you do know the policy for going off route at first considering you’ve stated you decided to go the M8?
I'm a self-employed agency driver, not a First employee, but thanks for your concern.

If they were to decide they don't want me driving their buses I'm fine with that, it's not as though there is a lack of work available.

There is no guide on how to return yourself to the depot at Livingston. Glasgow has many dead-run routes due to the many low bridges in Glasgow.

They're different operating companies and they do have different ideas about how it's run.

Bus Lightyear

There is no guide on how to return yourself to the depot at Livingston. Glasgow has many dead-run routes due to the many low bridges in Glasgow.
I thought that was something the Trade Union wanted from admin/management. Best speaking to one of your TU reps I suppose.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There are a few points from our forum rules that I'd like everyone to bear in mind when posting.

• We aim to create a friendly environment for all members, where individuals respect each other. Please ensure your contributions comply with this.
  • Do not post material which in any way discriminates against, or provokes, any person or group of persons.
  • All contributions should be readable and understandable. You should use the forum's default font and formatting, unless appropriate to aid clarity. Additionally you should make reasonable efforts to use correct spelling, punctuation and grammar in all your contributions.

The link is here:

PaulMc7

Established Member
As much as I've bashed First in West Lothian I will definitely give them credit for the fact they've put tomorrow's cancellations on the cancellation page already. The situation isn't good but at least it's an improvement in customer service.

Probably not the place but I'll ask anyway: does anyone know what's happened to the 0750 X22 Edinburgh - Shotts?
It was due at Gorgie at 0803; I've been here since about 0750 and as of now (0825) it still hasn't turned up. It's not listed as "cancelled" on the website though so I wasn't sure. :rolleyes:

stevenedin

Probably not the place but I'll ask anyway: does anyone know what's happened to the 0750 X22 Edinburgh - Shotts?
It was due at Gorgie at 0803; I've been here since about 0750 and as of now (0825) it still hasn't turned up. It's not listed as "cancelled" on the website though so I wasn't sure. :rolleyes:
According to the tracker it looks like one is at Haymarket. Maybe running late. The app isn’t the best at figuring out. I had to select the next one and then click on it.

Attachments

• 2BE8257A-FD53-4372-9F90-BBD8E272A504.png
    2BE8257A-FD53-4372-9F90-BBD8E272A504.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
According to the tracker it looks like one is at Haymarket. Maybe running late. The app isn’t the best at figuring out. I had to select the next one and then click on it.
Thanks. How do I access the tracker, is it only available through their app?
I did wonder if it would be delayed from more people using it today because there's no trains, but a delay of 29 minutes on a service that's supposed to run every 30 minutes I would have thought would be unlikely.
Edit: there was an empty ("Stay Safe" on the display) bus went past at about 0800 (X22 was due at 0805 but didn't turn up), and there's one of the same has just gone past just now (X22 due at 0835).

stevenedin

Thanks. How do I access the tracker, is it only available through their app?
I did wonder if it would be delayed from more people using it today because there's no trains, but a delay of 29 minutes on a service that's supposed to run every 30 minutes I would have thought would be unlikely.
Edit: there was an empty ("Stay Safe" on the display) bus went past at about 0800 (X22 was due at 0805 but didn't turn up), and there's one of the same has just gone past just now (X22 due at 0835).
As far as I’m aware it’s only available through the app. You could use Google Maps or Traveline Scotland apps but they only show timetable times.

It sounds like they have screened the bus wrong and nobody knows it is an X22. Did you manage to get it?

As far as I’m aware it’s only available through the app. You could use Google Maps or Traveline Scotland apps but they only show timetable times.
I had been using Google Maps but as you say it doesn't track them live and only uses the timetable. Unhelpfully it displays the bus as "departed at [timetabled departure time]" when not live tracking after the departure time which to me implies that it knows for sure that the bus has passed, when it's not tracking so it can't know that?
It sounds like they have screened the bus wrong and nobody knows it is an X22. Did you manage to get it?
The 0805 passed at about 0800 with nobody on it (as mentioned with Stay Safe on the displays). The 0835 passed at about 0830 again with nobody on it and Stay Safe on the screens. I put out my hand and otherwise made it obvious I wanted it to stop, even just to ask the driver what was happening with regards to the X22, but it didn't stop.
I gave up waiting and went to Haymarket for an X38 due at 0902, I was starting to think it too wasn't going to show up but it did turn up at 0910. It didn't wait at the stop post though, it stopped well back behind a 100, and then left from there. I thought all buses in Edinburgh were supposed to pick up at the post and no further back (as in I thought it was an Edinburgh Council policy not just a Lothian Buses policy) but maybe not. :rolleyes:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I had been using Google Maps but as you say it doesn't track them live and only uses the timetable. Unhelpfully it displays the bus as "departed at [timetabled departure time]" when not live tracking after the departure time which to me implies that it knows for sure that the bus has passed, when it's not tracking so it can't know that?

The 0805 passed at about 0800 with nobody on it (as mentioned with Stay Safe on the displays). The 0835 passed at about 0830 again with nobody on it and Stay Safe on the screens. I put out my hand and otherwise made it obvious I wanted it to stop, even just to ask the driver what was happening with regards to the X22, but it didn't stop.
I gave up waiting and went to Haymarket for an X38 due at 0902, I was starting to think it too wasn't going to show up but it did turn up at 0910. It didn't wait at the stop post though, it stopped well back behind a 100, and then left from there. I thought all buses in Edinburgh were supposed to pick up at the post and no further back (as in I thought it was an Edinburgh Council policy not just a Lothian Buses policy) but maybe not. :rolleyes:
Its Just a Lothian policy

stevenedin

I know what you mean about the Google Maps issue. I’ve found that confusing in the past when it shows where the bus is.

That’s not good about the X22. Also I don’t know if it’s council policy or not for them to queue at the bus stops or if it is just that drivers or operators decide on this theirselves.

mb88

Edinburgh must be the only place in the UK where passengers are unwilling to walk the length of one bus to get on one that is waiting behind at a stop. The delays this causes is unreal. I’ve sat for 8 minutes before at Waverley steps to serve the stop due to a bus being in front. The X38 is the worst one, you never want to get stuck behind that as you’ll be there forever whilst they faff about collecting fares and giving change. I get that it’s to avoid people being left at the stop, but surely it would make more sense to load up whilst the bus in front was still there, and when it does move off, then pick up any stragglers that are stood at the flag? Would save a lot of time.

stevenedin

Edinburgh must be the only place in the UK where passengers are unwilling to walk the length of one bus to get on one that is waiting behind at a stop. The delays this causes is unreal. I’ve sat for 8 minutes before at Waverley steps to serve the stop due to a bus being in front. The X38 is the worst one, you never want to get stuck behind that as you’ll be there forever whilst they faff about collecting fares and giving change. I get that it’s to avoid people being left at the stop, but surely it would make more sense to load up whilst the bus in front was still there, and when it does move off, then pick up any stragglers that are stood at the flag? Would save a lot of time.
It really depends on the driver. Some let you on behind other buses and then pick up any stragglers. If it was Glasgow they would just overtake and drive off.

LiviCrazy

I would say it’s actually the other way around. I’ve tried boarding Lothian Buses a few times when they are one bus back and they refuse you entry and point at the stop or blank you completely. Most First drivers will let you board in the vicinity of the stop, and they are quite good at letting you off at a kerb when safe if stuck in traffic.

The policy/operational practice by Lothian causes some big queues too, eg seen them take up stops at Sighthill that could have two buses load at a time but the drivers insist on stopping right at the flag while First will usually pull right up to the end of the stop if another bus is behind them. Even worse was when a bus stop was partially blocked on Shandwick Place by a small roadworks, rather than stop a few metres past or infront of it the Lothian Buses blocked the road and tram tracks while loading up (saw several doing it while waiting for my bus home that day). Like you say it’s the only town/city I’ve seen operate like that.

mb88

I’ve let people on before when I’ve been behind another bus, only to then get abuse from people when I do pull up to the flag because ‘I’ve been waiting longer than those people you just let on back there’. A bit of common sense is required, however drivers are reluctant to do it because of fear of complaints.

Anyone who used a Livingston Depot service this morning may have noticed the buses were filthy with used tickets still on the floor?

That’s because Livingston had no cleaners last night.

scosutsut

Anyone who used a Livingston Depot service this morning may have noticed the buses were filthy with used tickets still on the floor?

That’s because Livingston had no cleaners last night.
There's a joke about being taken to the cleaners, but do we know what was the cause? Sickness? Industrial Dispute? Admin failure to book the shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.