• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

83G/84D

Established Member
Are these i
Are these incoming e400s the ones that were sat at ensight waiting for convertion guessing there needed more as school buses

There was a LK08 registration E400 due for the Atlantic Coaster fleet but as I didn't get the full registration I don't know if it was the one. If it is it looks like it will be converted "in house" unlike the previous one's.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lizard1324

There was a LK08 registration E400 due for the Atlantic Coaster fleet but as I didn't get the full registration I don't know if it was the one. If it is it looks like it will be converted "in house" unlike the previous one's.
Sounds about right i suppose if they weren't due to be used till next summer then they might as well spend the winter doing work on routes and colleges, then they could always be sent back to ensight come spring better then it sitting there

83G/84D

Established Member
Sounds about right i suppose if they weren't due to be used till next summer then they might as well spend the winter doing work on routes and colleges, then they could always be sent back to ensight come spring better then it sitting there

Alternatively the team at Camborne will do the conversion like they did with the B7TL's.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
A very generalised comment, but on too much medication to follow things too closely at the moment, Over last couple of decades the buses I've seen in evenings between Penzance and St Erth at least on the Camborne run have been virtually empty on every occasion, whereas when winter evening buses on the Penzance to St Ives route have run, including Sundays, some journeys have been surprisingly well used, particularly the late ones from St Ives. Now Hayle to Camborne might have had better loadings, and of course Truro to Penzance trains via Redruth and (some) Camborne stops were more frequent in the evening than any other time because of the long distance nature of their origin.

I was thinking of Hayle more than Penzance but of course, both do have the parallel rail line as you say.

Hope you're feeling a bit better.

MB162435

Established Member
Going back to the U2, I was surprised to see that one cut but then again, might be lower Uni traffic as well as lower patronage anyway
Looks like they have taken the same approach to evenings as they did day times, with late night U4s taking the place of U2s but still maintaining the pre-Covid evening frequency

Before Covid the U1 would take the crowds and be rammed but the U2 10 minutes later would only have a handful or completely empty, the more spaced out frequency now seemed to of spread numbers out more during the day

TechDan2002

Volvo B7TL 30877 has had a stint on Camborne - Truro - Camborne T1 shorts this afternoon.

Trident 33165 also ran a Truro to Camborne T1 this afternoon tracking as CBSpare. I saw it go past my college bus near Treliske roundabout around 16:40.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I hope all the vehicles due to be collected for Kernow over the weekend have arrived safely!

Lizard1324

I see 33174 the atlantic coasters closed top has shown on the a17 this morning, I thought these would stay in summercourt for the a5 and occasional college contract.
But with the single optare solo also on the a17 if feels like last year mostly Atlantic coasters with a selecting of first liveried vehicles

embers25

Established Member
Does anyone know if OAP bus passes are valid for free travel on the A1/A2/A3 loop or is part of it considered a tourist only service?

embers25

Established Member
They're valid throughout.
Fab thanks, looking forwards to taking my dad on it tomorrow, with my amazing value £5 Coaster Day ticket...The timetable says St Erth Station for the A2. Do you know if the A2's are definitely serving the station stop now and not just the one on the main road?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Fab thanks, looking forwards to taking my dad on it tomorrow, with my amazing value £5 Coaster Day ticket...The timetable says St Erth Station for the A2. Do you know if the A2's are definitely serving the station stop now and not just the one on the main road?
I believe so, but can someone else confirm?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if OAP bus passes are valid for free travel on the A1/A2/A3 loop or is part of it considered a tourist only service?
During the last season this ran as a loop service in both directions as the 300 there was an outcry when guest house owners on the stretch between Land's End and St Ives realised that previous years' OAP free travel had been withdrawn, as FK had been told they'd not be recompensed by Cornwall Council any longer for any journey on that route. The news had been the front page splash of the local weekly paper, the Cornishman, and on the basis of the reasons given by the council for the decision I decided to try to get it overturned with the aid of the reporter (yes, they still had one then :) )whose office was happily a couple of hundred yards from where I lived. Unfortunately, because First had already produced all the leaflets and other advertising citing the banning of OAP passes, it was too late to effect any change for that season, even if the council had conceded their error in banning what had previously been okay. That was the last year the circular route ran. The following summer, the current arrangements of three separate route was introduced, but with the Land's End to St Ives north coast run worked by a 'Heritage vehicle', namely a Bristol Lodekka, with a £5single fare for all, including pensioners. On the other hand, all journeys on the other two open top routes reverted to full pass acceptance without any word from the council as to the u-turn: interesting, as they had claimed in an e-mail I still have that it would be 'illegal' to reimburse FK! The heritage bus thing was just a ploy by the council, I believe, to save face, more than a genuine desire by First to provide this service, which grew increasingly unreliable over the summer, but I admit I've no evidence to support this. A summer later, Heritage service succeeded by open top service in line with the other two routes, down to pass acceptance. Any future attempt to cull passes will meet resistance from this quarter unless CC provide more cogent and accurate excuses than before.

On the matter of the A2's use of St Erth Stn forecourt, unless it's changed in the last fortnight, yep, in fact last time I was there timetabling saw three FK buses together plus the 'ghost' shuttle bus, on which I've only ever once seen a passenger.

embers25

Established Member
During the last season this ran as a loop service in both directions as the 300 there was an outcry when guest house owners on the stretch between Land's End and St Ives realised that previous years' OAP free travel had been withdrawn, as FK had been told they'd not be recompensed by Cornwall Council any longer for any journey on that route. The news had been the front page splash of the local weekly paper, the Cornishman, and on the basis of the reasons given by the council for the decision I decided to try to get it overturned with the aid of the reporter (yes, they still had one then :) )whose office was happily a couple of hundred yards from where I lived. Unfortunately, because First had already produced all the leaflets and other advertising citing the banning of OAP passes, it was too late to effect any change for that season, even if the council had conceded their error in banning what had previously been okay. That was the last year the circular route ran. The following summer, the current arrangements of three separate route was introduced, but with the Land's End to St Ives north coast run worked by a 'Heritage vehicle', namely a Bristol Lodekka, with a £5single fare for all, including pensioners. On the other hand, all journeys on the other two open top routes reverted to full pass acceptance without any word from the council as to the u-turn: interesting, as they had claimed in an e-mail I still have that it would be 'illegal' to reimburse FK! The heritage bus thing was just a ploy by the council, I believe, to save face, more than a genuine desire by First to provide this service, which grew increasingly unreliable over the summer, but I admit I've no evidence to support this. A summer later, Heritage service succeeded by open top service in line with the other two routes, down to pass acceptance. Any future attempt to cull passes will meet resistance from this quarter unless CC provide more cogent and accurate excuses than before.

On the matter of the A2's use of St Erth Stn forecourt, unless it's changed in the last fortnight, yep, in fact last time I was there timetabling saw three FK buses together plus the 'ghost' shuttle bus, on which I've only ever once seen a passenger.
The joys of politics. I actually forgot that my £5 ticket is for a group of 5 so no issue anyway. I see FK schedule the A2 both ways and the A17 towards Pendeen all at at the same time at St Erth Station and so seeing 3 buses should be common...except for the obligatory late running due to traffic. As my train arrives at 1130 tomorrow, hoping to make one of the three at 1140! I try to do the open topper several times a year but this will be my first this year after Covid. Quite fancy it in winter too!

83G/84D

Established Member
The main reason for the withdrawl of the heritage fleet was discussed on here if I remember correctly. The Lodekka had a small number of drivers able / willing / qualified to drive it, if they weren't available another bus took over. The Series 1 VR (OTA 290G) was I think second choice if the Lodekka was unavailable.

Whilst the heritage fleet was welcomed by the likes of us, the non appearances by them was leading to complaints and dissapointment for passengers and the timetable was getting unreliable.

On an unrelated matter the red E400 at Camborne is LK08 DXV ex Metroline TE883.

ED2A6186.JPG

ED2A2682.JPG

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member

Well done with your involvement in getting it overturned!

The council won't be able to try it on again. Last time around route 7, supported by the council was operating at the same time, thus fulfilling the criteria of a socially necessary service along the North Coast road that pass holders could use. The current position is that route 7 is not running because route A3 fulfills that provision instead.

The main reason for the withdrawl of the heritage fleet was discussed on here if I remember correctly. The Lodekka had a small number of drivers able / willing / qualified to drive it, if they weren't available another bus took over. The Series 1 VR (OTA 290G) was I think second choice if the Lodekka was unavailable.

Whilst the heritage fleet was welcomed by the likes of us, the non appearances by them was leading to complaints and dissapointment for passengers and the timetable was getting unreliable.
The other issue is that the arduous route took a toll on it and the owner didn't wish it to be used beyond that season.

The VR used was 1141 (AFJ706T) in Tilling style green and now preserved.

83G/84D

Established Member

The council won't be able to try it on again. Last time around route 7, supported by the council was operating at the same time, thus fulfilling the criteria of a socially necessary service along the North Coast road that pass holders could use. The current position is that route 7 is not running because route A3 fulfills that provision instead.

The other issue is that the arduous route took a toll on it and the owner didn't wish it to be used beyond that season.

The VR used was 1141 (AFJ706T) in Tilling style green and now preserved.

I couldn't remember what VR was used as I didn't see it in use very often - thanks for the correction! If the old service 400 came back a heritage bus would be ideal on that route. Not too taxing - open top in fine weather and a heritage closed top as a back up for rainy days!

Busaholic

Veteran Member

iI think the council guy I engaged with (on the phone twice too) knew his interpretation of alternative bus services on that north road wasn't up to prolonged scrutiny, and he also realised I'd marshalled my facts correctly in relation to exemptions to pass reimbursement on scheduled services. I also cited two or three comparable scenarios in other English coastal areas, which weren't challenged by him. I had a lot more physical and mental energy then, mind! Now I have to pick my fights more closely and cleverly, and some I just have to concede at an early stage.

dgl

Established Member
Any idea why they would use a training vehicle was used for a public bus route?
From what I've heard they are desperate for buses due to Covid and as such are putting training buses back in to service as even with loans/reactivations from other parts of the group/dealers more buses are needed.