• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lizard1324

Any idea why they would use a training vehicle was used for a public bus route?
From the looks of it any bus in the fleet is a free to use for the driver, if its not in use on a route then use it.
Remember though that the l1 is a secondary school route it goes lizard - mullion taking kids then does the l1 from mullion to truro and back to pick up mullion school kids.
So was probaly scheduled to take kids and automatically become the bus of the day for the l1

MB162435

Established Member
From the looks of it any bus in the fleet is a free to use for the driver, if its not in use on a route then use it.
Remember though that the l1 is a secondary school route it goes lizard - mullion taking kids then does the l1 from mullion to truro and back to pick up mullion school kids.
So was probaly scheduled to take kids and automatically become the bus of the day for the l1
Was sold in the Kernow timetable summery release as more of a shopper route, but also serves the purpose you mentioned

Any idea why they would use a training vehicle was used for a public bus route?
As pretty much everyone else said, desperate times calls for desperate measures!

Lizard1324

Was sold in the Kernow timetable summery release as more of a shopper route, but also serves the purpose you mentioned

As pretty much everyone else said, desperate times calls for desperate measures!
I was wrong the lizard - mullion is kids only and runs as mullion 109? ( I think) then after it drops the kids at mullion become the l1 and becomes a route for shopper.

MB162435

Established Member
I was wrong the lizard - mullion is kids only and runs as mullion 109? ( I think) then after it drops the kids at mullion become the l1 and becomes a route for shopper.
Not sure myself but would make sense, would be better to run it from The Lizard I think personally but with an hourly TfC service there anyway, I suppose the demand or need isn't

Lizard1324

Not sure myself but would make sense, would be better to run it from The Lizard I think personally but with an hourly TfC service there anyway, I suppose the demand or need isn't
It would make sense to run from the lizard, over the summer months towards the end I could see a full enviro 200mmc on the 34 and Saturday it was common thats why there was 4 deckers on Saturday as they could sometimes be filled.
So the demand was there and still is up to a point.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It would make sense to run from the lizard, over the summer months towards the end I could see a full enviro 200mmc on the 34 and Saturday it was common thats why there was 4 deckers on Saturday as they could sometimes be filled.
So the demand was there and still is up to a point.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong but suspect in the post-Covid outbreak world, the plans for the L1, X19 (?) and 46 that were planned as part of 2020 Vision will not now come to fruition. If FK feel they can't run a bus every 30 mins between Falmouth and 'Druth, they won't be running the others I've listed.

As I say, I hope I'm wrong.

richw

Veteran Member
I'd be happy to be proven wrong but suspect in the post-Covid outbreak world, the plans for the L1, X19 (?) and 46 that were planned as part of 2020 Vision will not now come to fruition. If FK feel they can't run a bus every 30 mins between Falmouth and 'Druth, they won't be running the others I've listed.

I suspect summer 2021 we might see some new routes tried.
Right now it’s getting enough buses on the road to cover covid that’s a challenge as can be seen by stuff we thought we’d long seen the last of return from winkleigh.

Didn’t get ID but passed a white AlX400 at plusha this morning with a kernow van accompanying it.

Lizard1324

Right now it’s getting enough buses on the road to cover covid that’s a challenge as can be seen by stuff we thought we’d long seen the last of return from winkleigh.

Didn’t get ID but passed a white AlX400 at plusha this morning with a kernow van accompanying it.
White, maybe keroe have bought some from a dealer stock, or not

I agree, but they could do what they did last year and use a bus for the 230 which is the lizard - truro college which used to then start at redruth on the l1 but at the moment the bus is just returning empty to helston so they could do a run from truro - helston - lizard and back and then be back in time for truro college times.
But unlikely to happen this year.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I would imagine it was one of the Volvos that came from BASE dealer. All the deckers shown on their website as being for sale are all over white.

Lizard1324

I would imagine it was one of the Volvos that came from BASE dealer. All the deckers shown on their website as being for sale are all over white.
Exactly what I thought, though when I looked there was also white geminis in there so would have thought they might buy them, then again they could have bought both

83G/84D

Established Member

Volvo B7TL/ALX 400 LJ53 BAA in a white colour scheme is in Camborne. Formerly Arriva London VLA46, now single door.

30879 was on the T3 Truro College service early this morning and 33144 is on the A17.

Lizard1324

Volvo B7TL/ALX 400 LJ53 BAA in a white colour scheme is in Camborne. Formerly Arriva London VLA46, now single door.

30879 was on the T3 Truro College service early this morning and 33144 is on the A17.
I guess they have bought these. If so are they going to keep these as they could paint them and put them into service as they are only 12 months older then the oldest geminis.

83G/84D

Established Member
I guess they have bought these. If so are they going to keep these as they could paint them and put them into service as they are only 12 months older then the oldest geminis.

I guess we will have to wait and see on that. If they get fleet numbers I expect they will stay around, some short term loan buses in the past never got fleet numbers.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

What makes you think that they have bought these?

I guess we will have to wait and see on that. If they get fleet numbers I expect they will stay around, some short term loan buses in the past never got fleet numbers.

IIRC, all vehicles that work for First Bus get 5 digit fleetnumbers. They may not be carried but to be able to be maintained and managed, they have to acquire numbers and that is not any indication of the length of their stay.

83G/84D

Established Member
What makes you think that they have bought these?

IIRC, all vehicles that work for First Bus get 5 digit fleetnumbers. They may not be carried but to be able to be maintained and managed, they have to acquire numbers and that is not any indication of the length of their stay.

Demo buses excluded?

Accelerator59

If that white bus does get a fleet number, wouldn’t it normally be in the 33300s being a 53 plate? Although, I got a feeling they’ve all been used.

swifty

Established Member
If that white bus does get a fleet number, wouldn’t it normally be in the 33300s being a 53 plate? Although, I got a feeling they’ve all been used.

It’s a Volvo so a 32xxx is more likely. The FWoE hired B7TLs previously slotted into the 322xx range and then theirs 32027 that was a previous loan until it hit a tree.

The previous ex GoAhead B7TLs hired by Kernow were also in the 320xx range as well IIRC?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It’s a Volvo so a 32xxx is more likely. The FWoE hired B7TLs previously slotted into the 322xx range and then theirs 32027 that was a previous loan until it hit a tree.

The previous ex GoAhead B7TLs hired by Kernow were also in the 320xx range as well IIRC?
Yes - 32030, 32047, 32050 were all examples on loan from Ensign in late 2017

AB93

That's correct - there is even a fleet number allocated to an Ensign hire vehicle that in the end never made it into fleet - 36080.

Whiteway215

Established Member
The Optare demo decker was 36000 if I remember correctly?

a fleet number is required for our fuelling system in depots. Even engineering vans all have a 9**** fleet number
What was that system called? Something like Sema voyager? Whatever that meant!

jammy36

Don't think it's publicly available yet or I'm sure it would have been shared. There's some fleet at Dan Shears at Winkleigh for the North Devon routes. The locations of the Plymouth and Exeter ones haven't been confirmed AFAIK.

When it was TfC, there was much conjecture about it not appearing on the DVSA site but obviously, there are delays in these things getting posted. I'm sure that FSW have it all in hand. Reminds me (if only a little) when Red Bus had an outstation at Exeter bus station for local tendered and schools work.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I can't recall seeing it on the forum.

Exeter base is at Hill Barton Business Park in Clyst St Mary (possibly shared with Dartline or Redwoods who I think also base vehicles there).

Plymouth is at Lee Moor (presumably at Oakley's Coaches).

As previously speculated Winkley is being used, plus one bus outstationed at Duchy College, Stoke Climsland

Lizard1324

Unusually today i saw an open top b7tl plaxton president on a helston secondary school contract route, they must have been low on buses

Last edited: