• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

TechDan2002

Unusually today i saw an open top b7tl plaxton president on a helston secondary school contract route, they must have been low on buses
33001 and 33236 have been on the 231 the last few days. Neither have ticket machines or Hanover destination displays, instead having ‘231’ printed on A4 paper and taped in the front destination blind box. I’d imagine these will be regular appearances on the 231 for a while now.CDDC90B5-C5DA-4B79-880F-0B7212D70E5A.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lizard1324

33001 and 33236 have been on the 231 the last few days. Neither have ticket machines or Hanover destination displays, instead having ‘231’ printed on A4 paper and taped in the front destination blind box. I’d imagine these will be regular appearances on the 231 for a while now.View attachment 83613
They probaly will stay on this route, I thought last week that a bus was selected for a route and stayed on it as the 251 had a uni bus alx400 all week and the 230 had a plaxton president all week.
But this week the 251 and 230 has had all sorts such as the porthmouth p+r gemini training alx400, lizard Trident's and a selection of presidents

83G/84D

Established Member
The Optare demo decker was 36000 if I remember correctly?

a fleet number is required for our fuelling system in depots. Even engineering vans all have a 9**** fleet number

Yes there were two Metrodeckers at separate times, an orange one and a light blue one. Then there was an electric bus in a red colour scheme that was at Tremough briefly, can't recall the type. The Mellor demo buses at various times never carried fleet numbers externally.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes there were two Metrodeckers at separate times, an orange one and a light blue one. Then there was an electric bus in a red colour scheme that was at Tremough briefly, can't recall the type. The Mellor demo buses at various times never carried fleet numbers externally.
I believe the red one was a London demonstrator, a Metrodecker.

embers25

Established Member
New experience yesterday on the A1-3 loop. Only 20 minutes late anti-clockwise by Lands End despite several interesting reversals of vehicles approaching us into various gardens and side streets but the highlight was leaving Porthcurno. After a long struggle to get out as usual, on the road towards St Buryan we were at the front of around 20 vehicles and we met 30 or so the other way. After much faffing and discussion amongst the cars whilst we waited, gates to several fields were opened and to clear the road the cars all were parked in said fields. Now 40 minutes late we reach St Buryan Hill hairpin. Driver correctly moves to the right to negotiate the hairpin and all of a sudden all the cars behind us start undertaking us leaving us stranded in the right lane with oncoming cars directly in front. Eventually all the cars behind finished undertaking us, the cars the other way overtook us and we left, finally arriving 50+ minutes late. Quite the experience, even for these routes which always throw up interesting issues! Despite the delay the driver was a credit to Kernow and a thoroughly enjoyable trip was had, despite the fog in St Ives. I don't know how the drivers deal with the constant stress and lack of breaks during the circuit on this route.

KendalKing

Established Member
The Optare demo decker was 36000 if I remember correctly?

a fleet number is required for our fuelling system in depots. Even engineering vans all have a 9**** fleet number
The two Optare Metrodecker's were numbered 35000 YJ16 DFG and 35005 YJ16 DBO

TrenHotel

New experience yesterday on the A1-3 loop. Only 20 minutes late anti-clockwise by Lands End despite several interesting reversals of vehicles approaching us into various gardens and side streets but the highlight was leaving Porthcurno. After a long struggle to get out as usual, on the road towards St Buryan we were at the front of around 20 vehicles and we met 30 or so the other way. After much faffing and discussion amongst the cars whilst we waited, gates to several fields were opened and to clear the road the cars all were parked in said fields. Now 40 minutes late we reach St Buryan Hill hairpin. Driver correctly moves to the right to negotiate the hairpin and all of a sudden all the cars behind us start undertaking us leaving us stranded in the right lane with oncoming cars directly in front. Eventually all the cars behind finished undertaking us, the cars the other way overtook us and we left, finally arriving 50+ minutes late. Quite the experience, even for these routes which always throw up interesting issues! Despite the delay the driver was a credit to Kernow and a thoroughly enjoyable trip was had, despite the fog in St Ives. I don't know how the drivers deal with the constant stress and lack of breaks during the circuit on this route.

I was down that way for the first time this week - including A1 and A3 trips in the fog on Tuesday. Really impressed with how the drivers handled what must be very difficult routes with all the hold-ups, narrow roads and sharp bends.

Bought a three-day pass on the basis of seeing a First map in Penzance bus station that turned out to be out of date - yes, I was expecting to get an L1 to Lizard - took a while to fathom out the two competing networks down there. All worked out alright in the end though.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I was down that way for the first time this week - including A1 and A3 trips in the fog on Tuesday. Really impressed with how the drivers handled what must be very difficult routes with all the hold-ups, narrow roads and sharp bends.

Bought a three-day pass on the basis of seeing a First map in Penzance bus station that turned out to be out of date - yes, I was expecting to get an L1 to Lizard - took a while to fathom out the two competing networks down there. All worked out alright in the end though.
Yes, it's not very good that out of date maps are still posted at Penzance and Truro.

Lizard1324

Truronian coaches has show there newest Truro Fc coach which is Y17 TRU which is a Tri axle irizar i6 rather then a nepoleon starline like previously said.
Screenshot_20200919-213132_Facebook.jpg
They also said that the third e400 from ensight is heading toward cornwall

Has anyone got a fleet list of the plaxton presidents as I would like to see which of the one that left at the start of the year have returned and the ones that have been scrapped/sold.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Here are the details of the new operating centres:

Section 2.4 – Variation Applications Granted

PH0004983 SI FIRST SOUTH WEST LIMITED
Director(s): ALEX PAUL CARTER, David Alexander, Trevor Tobiasen
UNION STREET, CAMBORNE, TR14 8HF
New operating centre: HILL BARTON BUSINESS PARK, SIDMOUTH ROAD, CLYST ST. MARY, EXETER, EX5 1DR
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 12 vehicle(s)
New operating centre: Lee Moor Workshops, Lee Moor, PLYMOUTH, PL7 5JA
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 8 vehicle(s)
New operating centre: THE AIRFIELD, WINKLEIGH, EX19 8DW
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 6 vehicle(s)
New operating centre: Duchy College Stoke Climsland, Stoke Climsland,, Callington, PL17 8PB

Goldfish62

Established Member
I went on B9TL 37729 on the A1 today. It had quite the loudest cooling fan I've ever heard on a Volvo, which was on for the whole journey despite it not being a warm day.

I can see why TfL banned its contracted operators from buying the B9TL until Volvo sorted out the issue, which they did eventually do.

Lizard1324

Do anyone have a list of the newly acquired vehicles and the ones not yet arrive but due?
Also anyone hear what vehicles have been in the paint shop lately as its gone quiet

Last edited: