• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Given Nat Exp have given up on Cornwall for now it's not that far fetched!

I think the train has that stitched up now!

I’m not going to say how many are going into any new brand. It gives too much away.
There are two confirmed new brands to be applied to Geminis for 2021 and more on the cards.
You’ll just have to wait and see I’m afraid.
That’s optimistic.... It’ll be Max speculation; surprised there’s not a Bodmin paint shop webcam and Twitter updates

On the Buses

I think the train has that stitched up now!

That’s optimistic.... It’ll be Max speculation; surprised there’s not a Bodmin paint shop webcam and Twitter updates

Now there’s an idea. Would have to keep an eye on it though. They’re turning them round that fast!

Lizard1324

I’m not going to say how many are going into any new brand. It gives too much away.
There are two confirmed new brands to be applied to Geminis for 2021 and more on the cards.
You’ll just have to wait and see I’m afraid.
That's fair, do you know of any more buses on the way soon.

MarkC

Is this before or after the sell to National Express? **

Some of the recent college routes are in the area so they might have taken on more college routes or local authority contracts to try to justify a bigger outstation or an expanded rail replacement role. Possibly even a Truronian presence. I cant imagine, even pre covid, a serious attempt at expanding commercial routes in an area with two other groups operating already even if they do have previous knowledge of the traffic flows!

** - I made that up, just in case anybody runs with it!
It would be nice to have First back in Plymouth after 5 year absence but I can't think of any tenders they could have picked up? School services DHSB off Citybus maybe ? I would think that would be in September? PCC tenders with Stagecoach I thought was a long term agreement not just a few years? Commercially is there any gaps where Go Ahead and or Stagecoach don't cover well enough to let First in?

richw

Veteran Member
It would be nice to have First back in Plymouth after 5 year absence but I can't think of any tenders they could have picked up? School services DHSB off Citybus maybe ? I would think that would be in September? PCC tenders with Stagecoach I thought was a long term agreement not just a few years? Commercially is there any gaps where Go Ahead and or Stagecoach don't cover well enough to let First in?
Stagecoach recently gave notice on all PCC tenders. They have been retendered with results to operators last week currently in the 2 week confidential stage.
FK did not bid for anything is my understanding.

MarkC

Stagecoach recently gave notice on all PCC tenders. They have been retendered with results to operators last week currently in the 2 week confidential stage.
Oh that can only be back to citybus hen

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Or maybe Oakleys or Tally Ho

I guess there's nothing to stop Stagecoach submitting a bid on revised terms??

The continued development of First South West is certainly interesting and heartening. What is temptingly alluded to in Vision 2020.... well, it would certainly be good to know and I'm sure we'll find out in due course. I'd have been surprised had they elected to move back towards Devon. Obviously, the college work was a departure from what we might have expected; then again, taking the comments of others, they didn't bid for any Cornwall tenders outside the current patch so it would be more surprising had they elected to expand with PCC work!

I'm sure there's a lot in Vision 2020 to be intrigued with. A couple of thoughts cross my mind.... Does Vision 2020 encompass all of FSW or is it just Kernow; I assume the former. Also, as part of that, would we see a Truronian style operation in Somerset? I would suggest the return of Comfy-Lux but perhaps, as a name, it didn't have the goodwill that Truronian brings!!

MarkC

Probably wont be taking on PCC work just yet, but Colleges and Uni would be good.
Is there any Plymouth uni or Marjons routes? Not sure what college routes there are up for grabs as City College 36 is under contract to Stagecoach, unless they sub lease it out again. School routes DHSB are with Citybus and Coombe Dean just transferred from Stagecoach to Citybus

LAIRA

Is there any Plymouth uni or Marjons routes? Not sure what college routes there are up for grabs as City College 36 is under contract to Stagecoach, unless they sub lease it out again. School routes DHSB are with Citybus and Coombe Dean just transferred from Stagecoach to Citybus
There are no dedicated Uni or Marjon routes in Plymouth.

83G/84D

Established Member
32625 is back from a repaint into green and awaits application of vinyls/branding.

32622 on Tinner services today. Photos taken during daily permitted exercise.

Attachments

• IMG_2211rev.jpg
    IMG_2211rev.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2236rev.jpg
    IMG_2236rev.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

henairs

I guess there's nothing to stop Stagecoach submitting a bid on revised terms??

The continued development of First South West is certainly interesting and heartening. What is temptingly alluded to in Vision 2020.... well, it would certainly be good to know and I'm sure we'll find out in due course. I'd have been surprised had they elected to move back towards Devon. Obviously, the college work was a departure from what we might have expected; then again, taking the comments of others, they didn't bid for any Cornwall tenders outside the current patch so it would be more surprising had they elected to expand with PCC work!

I'm sure there's a lot in Vision 2020 to be intrigued with. A couple of thoughts cross my mind.... Does Vision 2020 encompass all of FSW or is it just Kernow; I assume the former. Also, as part of that, would we see a Truronian style operation in Somerset? I would suggest the return of Comfy-Lux but perhaps, as a name, it didn't have the goodwill that Truronian brings!!
Hi Wazoo,
Cumfy lux gets the grey matter working for us enthusiasts around Somerset. I was a tad shorter
and so was my trousers when Darch and Wilcox (Cumfy Lux) were around this area.
Think they were based at Martock if my memory stretches that far back with there Green and White Bedfords and other marques in daily use.
Later of course they merged with Pearce of Cattistock (maybe took over? ) to become Pearce, Darch and Wilcox. Trust you are keeping well in these ever changing days,
Cheers,
Mike R

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hi Wazoo,
Cumfy lux gets the grey matter working for us enthusiasts around Somerset. I was a tad shorter
and so was my trousers when Darch and Wilcox (Cumfy Lux) were around this area.
Think they were based at Martock if my memory stretches that far back with there Green and White Bedfords and other marques in daily use.
Later of course they merged with Pearce of Cattistock (maybe took over? ) to become Pearce, Darch and Wilcox. Trust you are keeping well in these ever changing days,
Cheers,
Mike R
I am very well, Mike - trust you are good too.

You remember well and this http://www.countrybus.com/pearce.htm provides a bit more history. They were indeed based at Cattistock and Martock. They sold to Southern National just before my first visit to my now home county in 1991; your memories go back a bit further than mine! IIRC, the depot at Martock was still going until First bought SN; I remember seeing it and thinking it was a timewarp and should have been running Bedford OBs. https://www.flickr.com/photos/ballysundriven/36349451765/in/photolist-Xj8ki3-Xo5rBB I think First sold it but continued outbasing some vehicles in a existing compound in the village that SN had.

Comfy-Lux in that 1990s version was interesting. It was part low-cost schools and bus operation, but seemed to assume a role as SN's main Somerset coach operation; I don't think SN did any NX work by then.

I remember it having some very old Bedfords, and indeed, travelling on the 216 from Sherborne to Dorchester one afternoon on some 20 year old machine. However, they also had newer stuff like 5-10 year old Tigers.

It was more a tongue in cheek comment about a Somerset coach operation (and Comfy-Lux) but it would be interesting to see if Vision 2020 does extend further than Cornwall and what could be on the cards.

henairs

I am very well, Mike - trust you are good too.

You remember well and this http://www.countrybus.com/pearce.htm provides a bit more history. They were indeed based at Cattistock and Martock. They sold to Southern National just before my first visit to my now home county in 1991; your memories go back a bit further than mine! IIRC, the depot at Martock was still going until First bought SN; I remember seeing it and thinking it was a timewarp and should have been running Bedford OBs. https://www.flickr.com/photos/ballysundriven/36349451765/in/photolist-Xj8ki3-Xo5rBB I think First sold it but continued outbasing some vehicles in a existing compound in the village that SN had.

Comfy-Lux in that 1990s version was interesting. It was part low-cost schools and bus operation, but seemed to assume a role as SN's main Somerset coach operation; I don't think SN did any NX work by then.

I remember it having some very old Bedfords, and indeed, travelling on the 216 from Sherborne to Dorchester one afternoon on some 20 year old machine. However, they also had newer stuff like 5-10 year old Tigers.

It was more a tongue in cheek comment about a Somerset coach operation (and Comfy-Lux) but it would be interesting to see if Vision 2020 does extend further than Cornwall and what could be on the cards.
Yes realised it was tongue in cheek but nice to recall the old days. I was always keen on Bedfords as they were such a well known company and sight in the commercial and public service sector.
Keeping well and looking forward to a vaccine jab next year,
Cheers,
Mike R

richw

Veteran Member
I passed two Gemini’s on Bodmin moor this afternoon with Bristol fleet names on the side. Presumably the two WofE Gemini’s @On the Buses referred to in his posting.

83G/84D

Established Member
Has anyone on here seen any of the red painted ex London E400's recently? I think they came from Ensign and one was briefly on the A17 for a few days and did College / schools work based out of Penzance.

I was just wondering if they are still around somewhere, there were three.

richw

Veteran Member
Has anyone on here seen any of the red painted ex London E400's recently? I think they came from Ensign and one was briefly on the A17 for a few days and did College / schools work based out of Penzance.

All were working school services out of Summercourt at the start of this week when I was down there.

MB162435

Established Member

One was at Truro Bus Station yesterday afternoon parked up

TechDan2002

33410 is a regular on the 231 dupe starting from Penryn