• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Jeez.... you do wonder at times :rolleyes: (SARCASM ALERT - They're obviously for the new Plymouth depot and services therein - ;))
That must be it as we know Full length single deckers are unsuitable for the majority of Cornwall. :lol:

Here is a photo I took within Plymouth yard yesterday, shortly after washing it, confirming such a location exists!
My first visit The location of the depot is a bit out in the middle of nowhere on the edge of the moor, the Oakleys staff were friendly and treated me as if I was one of their own. Full access to cleaning facilities.

Another one today, though it may well have been the same bus.
33172 and 33174 are the only two possibilities. 33172 has been in Bodmin yard every night this week working the 223.

Attachments

• 750B85B7-A43F-4316-9B2A-25D865B95021.jpeg
    750B85B7-A43F-4316-9B2A-25D865B95021.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 59

On the Buses

What’s going on with the 5 B7RLEs that have appeared on the bustimes fleet list? I’m assuming they have been moved in error

Is it the 5 in Somerset?

I imagine it'll be dealer stock builds as per previous. SPS is in fact planning expansion in the next couple of years so I would guess that more than 30 extra buses may be required even when social distancing is eliminated.

The deckers weren’t ‘dealer stock’. They were built to order

Whiteway215

Established Member
66881-66886 excluding 66885 has been added to kernow on the bustimes website.
The rumour/story/grapevine suggests these are to become training buses, and not necessarily for their present owner First West of England. 66885 suffered a fire some time ago and may well be written off now.

Cesarcollie

I imagine it'll be dealer stock builds as per previous. SPS is in fact planning expansion in the next couple of years so I would guess that more than 30 extra buses may be required even when social distancing is eliminated.

ADL don’t build stock E400s. They used to build E200 stock pre-Covid- not sure if they will do in the current economic environment

carlberry

Established Member
“ADL don’t build stock E400s” yet have done TFC’s 16 new E400s and 75 new E200s to dealer stock...
If they were dealer stock they'd have arrived instantly (from stock), however Go Ahead had to wait for them to be built.

Goldfish62

Established Member
ADL don’t build stock E400s. They used to build E200 stock pre-Covid- not sure if they will do in the current economic environment
OK then, "new builds to a basic dealer stock specification".

The deckers weren’t ‘dealer stock’. They were built to order
They were indeed, but with a basic interior that you'd get on stock builds.

Last edited:

jammy36

“ADL don’t build stock E400s” yet have done TFC’s 16 new E400s and 75 new E200s to dealer stock specification...
I think it had previously been said on this thread that the initial arrivals from March 2020 were dealer stock vehicles (those with J2xx Series body numbers being from the 2018 build year), but later deliveries from September (anything with an L2xx Series or L4xx Series body number) were built to order. Presumably the built to order batch were deliberately specified with "stock" interiors to speed delivery and for purposes of fleet consistency, but none of the 70 plates (so none of the deckers) are "stock" builds.

carlberry

Established Member
But with the dealer stock interior
I doubt that ADL advertise it as that. It's the standard interior that allows them to be built quicker. If the orders dry up then the company can build speculative vehicles to the basic standard which can keep the line going (which then produces manufacturer stock that can be delivered quickly) or can offer an attractive price to dealers/leasers who can then build up their stock (those are actually dealer stock).

Goldfish62

Established Member
I doubt that ADL advertise it as that. It's the standard interior that allows them to be built quicker. If the orders dry up then the company can build speculative vehicles to the basic standard which can keep the line going (which then produces manufacturer stock that can be delivered quickly) or can offer an attractive price to dealers/leasers who can then build up their stock (those are actually dealer stock).
Did anyone suggest that ADL advertise as such? I think most of us know why manufacturers do stock builds. It's certainly benefitted operators in my area, who lease new buses and replace them every few years.

baza585

TfC chose to take ADL standard interior, possibly on cost grounds and possibly to accelerate delivery. Not a problem except that they had stated in public that the buses would have USBs etc. Right hand needs to reacquaint with left hand.........

MB162435

Established Member
Kernow's E400 33430 on Truro College Shuttle duties today

Attachments

• 2020-12-03_02-02-05.jpg
    2020-12-03_02-02-05.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 38

Lizard1324

This week I sore two Atlantic coaster coloured buses heading through penzance main street one being 33174 (one top trident president) and the other being 33426 - lk08nvj (open top e400) and I looked at the rear of the two and you don't realise how good the ac livery is but the rear is just plain and isn't as good as the rest but after looking at the rear of the new e400 with vinyls I've got to say it makes the livery 100% better

MB162435

Established Member
The 19:35 U1 service from Truro to Falmouth Moor this evening had some allocations

Originally due to be worked by 37008, it was replaced by 53865 after 37008 needed to go to Truro Depot, 53865 was replaced itself at Penryn Campus by 32683 resulting in the service being 32 minutes late by Penryn

Attachments

• 2020-12-03_08-23-59.jpg
    2020-12-03_08-23-59.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 23

cnjb8

Established Member
Nonetheless they still have the dealer stock interior

On the Buses

Nonetheless they still have the dealer stock interior

Forgive me but let me explain.

‘dealer stock’ is not a description relating to any specification.

It is a description for buses that are bought by dealers or built by manufacturers for sales stock.

In car context, pre built vehicles, placed on the forecourt, for operators to come along and buy.

What you are talking about is the specification.

Most buses are bought to order from the manufacturer - with the buyer able to specify a significant range of items to their specification.

In practice, buses built for ‘dealer stock’ tend in the main to be built to a basic specification, using a designated set of seat types / trim etc from the available range.

Two white Streetlites 47541 and 572 haven’t tracked since end of last month so must be getting painted at the moment.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think we can draw the discussion about "dealer spec" to an end as it's not really on-topic.

cnjb8

Established Member
Forgive me but let me explain.

‘dealer stock’ is not a description relating to any specification.

It is a description for buses that are bought by dealers or built by manufacturers for sales stock.

In car context, pre built vehicles, placed on the forecourt, for operators to come along and buy.

What you are talking about is the specification.

Most buses are bought to order from the manufacturer - with the buyer able to specify a significant range of items to their specification.

In practice, buses built for ‘dealer stock’ tend in the main to be built to a basic specification, using a designated set of seat types / trim etc from the available range.

I think we can draw the discussion about "dealer spec" to an end as it's not really on-topic.
Ok then fair enough :)