• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

We've covered the introduction of the Dartmoor Explorer extensively, as well as the Exmoor Coaster to Lynmouth, over the last few days following the route registrations and unveiling of the DE livery

Is this what you're referring to (which is more than mere hints) or are you alluding to something else?
This was a quote from Richard on Facebook:

“First Kernow will operate a number of Devon services which will be under a sub brand name “Adventures by Bus”

I thought maybe they were planning to introduce more services around Devon unless it will just be the Dartmoor Explorer and Exmoor Explorer so I apologise if I’m mistaken.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member

“First Kernow will operate a number of Devon services which will be under a sub brand name “Adventures by Bus”

I thought maybe they were planning to introduce more services around Devon unless it will just be the Dartmoor Explorer and Exmoor Explorer so I apologise if I’m mistaken.
A number could be any number though. At present we know of 2 routes

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

No need for apologies - just wondering if there were any crossed purposes ;)

Whiteway215

Established Member
It’s been cannibalised for spares. Not a lot left of it so assume it’ll go to scrap soon. The engineer I spoke to said it had terminal chassis rot.
Regarding 20357. I remember seeing it in Penzance Long Rock depot in 2018 parked up beside 20358/63 and 20801-5. Did it ever enter service?

richw

Veteran Member
Regarding 20357. I remember seeing it in Penzance Long Rock depot in 2018 parked up beside 20358/63 and 20801-5. Did it ever enter service?
I don’t think it has. I’ve never seen it in use, and was cannibalised very early on

carlberry

Established Member
Hmmm..... I wonder if that may presage something? I might well be wrong but was it suggested that FSW (not just Kernow) was to receive further Geminis?
It would make sense to rereg all the newly painted 'Explorer' stuff as a nicely presented 13 year old bus suddenly looks like a nicely presented fairly new bus to joe public if the registration year is hidden.

RELL6L

Well remembered there. Did a trip (poss 2013) going from Taunton to Tiverton, then Beacon Bus to Bampton, and getting the 25 back to Taunton. It's a great run through the countryside and yep, Bampton and a few other hamlets are in Devon and served by BoS.
On 2012 - indeed after my second trip on the 300 in Exmoor - I returned from Minehead to Tiverton on what was then the 398. I think it was run by Beacon Bus or some such. It was a long but very scenic run which included Dulverton and Bampton, also Winsford, very out of the way.

Earlier, I think it was 2008, I took a First bus from Taunton to Barnstaple. I think it might have been numbered 307 or possibly 309 and ran two hourly through Bampton, via a very circuitous route to Dulverton and almost back, then on through South Molton. Along with what became the 155 (but was then a First route numbered something quite different, starting with 3), and short journeys, it gave a 30 minute service between South Molton and Barnstaple. Hardly anybody else used it between Dulverton and South Molton and it was withdrawn soon afterwards. Then Stagecoach came along and shook up Barnstaple!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
On 2012 - indeed after my second trip on the 300 in Exmoor - I returned from Minehead to Tiverton on what was then the 398. I think it was run by Beacon Bus or some such. It was a long but very scenic run which included Dulverton and Bampton, also Winsford, very out of the way.

Earlier, I think it was 2008, I took a First bus from Taunton to Barnstaple. I think it might have been numbered 307 or possibly 309 and ran two hourly through Bampton, via a very circuitous route to Dulverton and almost back, then on through South Molton. Along with what became the 155 (but was then a First route numbered something quite different, starting with 3), and short journeys, it gave a 30 minute service between South Molton and Barnstaple. Hardly anybody else used it between Dulverton and South Molton and it was withdrawn soon afterwards. Then Stagecoach came along and shook up Barnstaple!
It was the 307 (credit to photographer) and to my chagrin, I never bothered to get off my @r5e and do it. I was doing a lot of other things than travelling on buses at the time, but still no excuse not to travel on a Vario across huge chunks of almost uninhabited territory!

Lizard1324

I'm surprised they seem to be re-registering the driver training vehicles, unless they are up for replacement as well?
I wouldn't be surprised if they were, considering we have 03 plate alx 400's which aren't staying after covid.
These could easily become training buses as they are 3 years newer, or they could be getting some more Geminis which could be for training.

cnjb8

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if they were, considering we have 03 plate alx 400's which aren't staying after covid.
These could easily become training buses as they are 3 years newer, or they could be getting some more Geminis which could be for training.
I highley doubt Geminis will become training vehicles. The ALXs are leaving when the MMCs return from Somerset Passenger Solutions.
It's not a simple job to convert regular buses to trainers, so I'd expect the W-plates to stay for a while, unless Covid means not as many drivers being trained for a few years.

Lizard1324

I highley doubt Geminis will become training vehicles. The ALXs are leaving when the MMCs return from Somerset Passenger Solutions.
It's not a simple job to convert regular buses to trainers, so I'd expect the W-plates to stay for a while, unless Covid means not as many drivers being trained for a few years.
The training buses were converted back to service as they were needed again for college routes, and because they had all the drivers they need I think.

fgwrich

Established Member

But surely that's meant to only be the passenger ALX's leaving. The fact they were all registered and converted (albeit temp converted back) in the "L-PCV" range says to me that they were going to be kept specifically as driver trainers. Either way, I'm sure Mr Morgan Hews & team FK will no doubt find another way to surprise us shortly!

cnjb8

Established Member
The training buses were converted back to service as they were needed again for college routes, and because they had all the drivers they need I think.
Okay but they'll be needed again as trainers at some point, it's likely they'll return to that role when needed again
But surely that's meant to only be the passenger ALX's leaving. The fact they were all registered and converted (albeit temp converted back) in the "L-PCV" range says to me that they were going to be kept specifically as driver trainers. Either way, I'm sure Mr Morgan Hews & team FK will no doubt find another way to surprise us shortly!
I was talking about the passenger ALXs

Lizard1324

Okay but they'll be needed again as trainers at some point, it's likely they'll return to that role when needed again

I was talking about the passenger ALXs

What modifications do they need to be used for driver training?
I spend many months on the training buses as it was my college bus most days and I looked for evidence of leaver for the handbrake or a chair holder or something along those lines and I couldn't see any.
Obviously you need the outside L plates but they are easy enough to out on and off.

richw

Veteran Member
I spend many months on the training buses as it was my college bus most days and I looked for evidence of leaver for the handbrake or a chair holder or something along those lines and I couldn't see any.
Obviously you need the outside L plates but they are easy enough to out on and off.
They had an additional seat for the instructor fitted in the doorway.
no dual controls
Additional mirrors

cnjb8

Established Member

They had an additional seat for the instructor fitted in the doorway.
no dual controls
Additional mirrors
Sometimes a table is fitted and with two seats turned to the back to face it. Maybe a whiteboard would be fitted too

dgl

Established Member
First have always had a presence in Devon unless Axminster and Tiverton have left the county since I did. Of course, presumably as they are not First Kernow operations they don't count to some...
Add to that anything after it leaves Lyme Regis for Axminster, Uplyme is where Devon starts.

83G/84D

Established Member
Coaches 20358, 20808 and Y17 TRU seen in St Ives today on what seemed like a publicity shoot in the car park by the Leisure centre.

Yarp1

There are PCB liveried buses still running around Cornwall and likewise there are TFC buses running around devon. With all the plastering of TFC advertising at bus stations and removal of FK bus stop flags isn't it a fair chance that tickets bought on line might not do as well as they could because of the confusion by people as to who or where to buy tickets. Passengers in devon will see tfc and cornish passengers will see PCB and then a FK bus, so isn't it a good chance that during the summer tourists will just give up and buy a ticket from the driver ??!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There are PCB liveried buses still running around Cornwall and likewise there are TFC buses running around devon. With all the plastering of TFC advertising at bus stations and removal of FK bus stop flags isn't it a fair chance that tickets bought on line might not do as well as they could because of the confusion by people as to who or where to buy tickets. Passengers in devon will see tfc and cornish passengers will see PCB and then a FK bus, so isn't it a good chance that during the summer tourists will just give up and buy a ticket from the driver ??!
The real issue is simply the fact that you have two networks, working in isolation, and passengers not knowing what tickets are available/valid on what. The odd PCB vehicle working in Cornwall or vice versa is minor in comparison.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The real issue is simply the fact that you have two networks, working in isolation, and passengers not knowing what tickets are available/valid on what. The odd PCB vehicle working in Cornwall or vice versa is minor in comparison.
Agreed. And the situation is even worse where GSW provides early and late journeys on otherwise FK routes.