• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not worth creating a separate thread, but there appeared to be some sort of Coach and Bus Running Day based on Penzance today, with the Bus Station used merely as a turning point/for photographic purposes/loo stop for drivers. No passengers were carried, and in the short time I had I saw a couple of Western National VRs, an Eastern National ECW Olympian, a Royal Blue MW, a Bristol lightweight (SC?) in indistinct livery and a beautiful AEC Reliance/Harrington in Hawkey's of Newquay livery. The very-intermittently-used bus bay on the Promenade outside the Jubilee Pool appeared to be the pause point for vehicles in-between runs.
It's instead of the annual running day. Because the event had to be cancelled last year the organisers wanted to do something this year to keep its place in the calendar. Hopefully the proper running day will be back next year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

farwest

Registered from 16 May. Branding as soon as the vehicles can be repainted in the current programme. Few things in front of them in the queue but only a few weeks away hopefully before Lizards go through.
I do hope the U4 does not go back to the route where it went around Helston Sainsbury and then back through the town. The current way around Helston is fairly speedy.

richw

Veteran Member
Not worth creating a separate thread, but there appeared to be some sort of Coach and Bus Running Day based on Penzance today, with the Bus Station used merely as a turning point/for photographic purposes/loo stop for drivers. No passengers were carried, and in the short time I had I saw a couple of Western National VRs, an Eastern National ECW Olympian, a Royal Blue MW, a Bristol lightweight (SC?) in indistinct livery and a beautiful AEC Reliance/Harrington in Hawkey's of Newquay livery. The very-intermittently-used bus bay on the Promenade outside the Jubilee Pool appeared to be the pause point for vehicles in-between runs.
It was a low-key event organised by the Cornwall bus preservation society (CBPS) and Thames valley and great western omnibus trust (TVAGWOT). No passengers allowed except allocated crew. It was run under the name Penzance #busflyby . Searching for the hashtag on social media should give results of various postings
Attached photo of western national VR 1141 which was my bus for the day shared driving with a fellow CBPS member.
two routes were in operation, Penzance - hayle - helston - Penzance and Penzance - pendeen- st just- Penzance, with a Penzance - newlyn circular to end the day. To avoid crowds forming in any given location layovers were taken in various unadvertised locations around the town.

Attachments

• 5E71B298-962D-4DB3-913B-6DAD6E7890BE.jpeg
    5E71B298-962D-4DB3-913B-6DAD6E7890BE.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It was a low-key event organised by the Cornwall bus preservation society (CBPS) and Thames valley and great western omnibus trust (TVAGWOT). No passengers allowed except allocated crew. It was run under the name Penzance #busflyby . Searching for the hashtag on social media should give results of various postings
Attached photo of western national VR 1141 which was my bus for the day shared driving with a fellow CBPS member.
two routes were in operation, Penzance - hayle - helston - Penzance and Penzance - pendeen- st just- Penzance, with a Penzance - newlyn circular to end the day. To avoid crowds forming in any given location layovers were taken in various unadvertised locations around the town.
Was yours the bus bearing a 101 route blind?

richw

Veteran Member
Was yours the bus bearing a 101 route blind?
No. See attached photo, we settled for mousehole instead because I couldn’t find Penzance without random via points!

we also at other times in the day had Helston and St just up on the front.

Attachments

• 466C641B-DDAC-475B-909B-651DDE77ADC0.jpeg
    466C641B-DDAC-475B-909B-651DDE77ADC0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 33

Goldfish62

Established Member
Can't seem to find the details of the new services on line?? Any help appreciated
If you Google "local bus service registration search" it will take you to the site where you can search for every service that's ever been registered. It only gives the bares bones, though. We'll have to wait for Traveline SW / FSW to publish full details, whichever comes first.

teggers419

Cheers for help. Had tried that previously and as you state it is the bare bones!! Any updates greatly appreciated

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I fervently hope that David Icke doesn't get invited to launch the new Lizard brand.:D

MB162435

Established Member
I doubt they would rebrand the MMCs for the U4. I imagine they will use the current Lizard tridents and possible repaint a few Geminis into the Lizard livery.
Possibly the 08 E400s as well, there was that hint and they are a common allocation for U4s

Lizard1324

I doubt they would rebrand the MMCs for the U4. I imagine they will use the current Lizard tridents and possible repaint a few Geminis into the Lizard livery.
He did say that all u route would recive new branding or something like that.
Also remember there will be many new l routes and only 4 Lizard deckers.
Also the 2 year old solos are getting repainted so the mmcs could

Goldfish62

Established Member
Why would they not rebranded the MMCs? If they don't it'll mean a vehicle downgrade for the U4.

If there’s only going to be 4 Lizard deckers then I assume it would be 2 Lolynes and possibly 2 Geminis.

The 3 Atlantic Coasters are getting repainted yes.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
If there’s only going to be 4 Lizard deckers then I assume it would be 2 Lolynes and possibly 2 Geminis.

Given that the 30 MMCs that are still away at SPS are more than enough to cover most of the core network I would not expect 16 year old Euro III buses to be used when these are available instead.

Assuming the T1/T2 never return to their pre-Covid frequencies there are going to be surplus Tinner-liveried MMCs when they all return.

Given that the 30 MMCs that are still away at SPS are more than enough to cover most of the core network I would not expect 16 year old Euro III buses to be used when these are available instead.

Assuming the T1/T2 never return to their pre-Covid frequencies there are going to be surplus Tinner-liveried MMCs when they all return.
I saw a rumour on the Kernow fan page on Facebook the other day that the MMCs still away are apparently due back in June as that’s when SPS are supposedly getting their new deckers. July and September were also rumoured a while back too.

Lizard1324

I'm referring to the current Lizard deckers in which there are 4 currently painted in the livery, but there will likely be more maybe a few green e400mmc as these will need uses when they return

I'm referring to the current Lizard deckers in which there are 4 currently painted in the livery, but there will likely be more maybe a few green e400mmc as these will need uses when they return
It was confirmed the other day the Lolynes are all staying along with the open top Presidents but the closed top Presidents will leave along with all the hired stuff plus the B7TL ALXs when the MMCs do return.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I saw a rumour on the Kernow fan page on Facebook the other day that the MMCs still away are apparently due back in June as that’s when SPS are supposedly getting their new deckers. July and September were also rumoured a while back too.
Best not to believe anything from unofficial social media sources regarding SPS's new deckers. Another rumour I read was that they haven't even been ordered yet and the MMCs would still be at SPS next year...

charlie1284

It would make more sense to repaint the green MMCs when they return into the Lizard livery for the U4.

Goldfish62

Established Member
It would make more sense to repaint the green MMCs when they return into the Lizard livery for the U4.
Bear in mind there are seven Tinner and eight U routes MMCs yet to return from SPS. Assuming the service reduction on the Tinner routes is permanent there'll be a surplus of red MMCs which are now over four years old and therefore more ready for repaint than the newer green ones.

Lizard1324

It would but when all the green ones return they could be used on route like the a17 or 87 where as the blue one can't ( they can but wrong route branding) Also the 66 and 08 plate e400s are a few years old and could do with a repaint, also there would be less U route needing blue buses so some would be spare.

Also Marc has tweeted a image of 37729 - YJ09 OCA with it'd new lands end coaster vinalys.
Link: https://twitter.com/MarcMorganHuws/status/1384512374556745730?s=19

Last edited:

Ancelljb

I expect these will be kept green for the main network routes. At current service levels, the 27, 81 and 91 need a total of 12 vehicles I think (roughly, give or take), OTB said that the 17/18/19 will interwork with a total PVR of 5 double decks, so that takes the network PVR to 17, just 2 below the number of green MMCs.

On the Buses: 17/18/19 all inter work with 5 pvr. All will be DD (post #14040)

In terms of the Tinners, the current T1/T2 need around 15 vehicles (again, roughly give or take). When the remaining reds return, they could be used on the college T3 service (with college route interworks) as that would fit the brand.

I guess that the MMCs first in line for the paintshop will be the U-Lines branded ones (along with the blue E400s and the vehicles for the Lizard network), as OTB has said that the U routes will be joining other brands, suggesting that U-Lines is no more.

On the Buses: The U routes will gain individual brands and see some changes in September to improve connectivity across Truro. They will remain numbered U1-4 as they provide a coordinated headway between Falmouth and Penryn Campus. (post #14407)

Note that all of this is completely guesswork from an enthusiast with no factual knowledge of plans so is likely very wrong.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I expect these will be kept green for the main network routes. At current service levels, the 27, 81 and 91 need a total of 12 vehicles I think (roughly, give or take), OTB said that the 17/18/19 will interwork with a total PVR of 5 double decks, so that takes the network PVR to 17, just 2 below the number of green MMCs.

In terms of the Tinners, the current T1/T2 need around 15 vehicles (again, roughly give or take). When the remaining reds return, they could be used on the college T3 service (with college route interworks) as that would fit the brand.

I guess that the MMCs first in line for the paintshop will be the U-Lines branded ones (along with the blue E400s and the vehicles for the Lizard network), as OTB has said that the U routes will be joining other brands, suggesting that U-Lines is no more.

Note that all of this is completely guesswork from an enthusiast with no factual knowledge of plans so is likely very wrong.
I think that happens to be very good guesswork.