• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
L1. You mean the two Lizard Open Tops? One is in Cornwall being prepared for service. Likely to receive vinyls tomorrow all being well. The second is being technically tended to by Ensign ahead of a second attempt at delivery.

I believe one of the Lizard open top's is in Camborne undergoing work. If that's correct it did not appear to have received vinyls when I saw it today.

jammy36

The new/revised services and associated leaflets and website are very impressive and I wish Cornwall by Kernow every success with them.

The only aspect that isn't totally clear is the ticketing (it doesn't appear Adventures by Bus (AbB) tickets are available to book yet) and how these "mesh" with the standard ticket offer. Eg, is the £30 seven day adventurer the same as the Cornwall by Kernow £28 seven day mTicket? If so, how do the half price additional adventurers tickets fit? Given the family focus in some of the leaflets it seems odd that the child fares aren't published anywhere in the AbB leaflets/website?

With the days out by bus ticketing I'm assuming that you only pay one fare - eg Newquay to Eden (change of bus ) to Lanhydrock (and return) is £10? This isn't totally clear, and if so makes a day out to Eden (and return) seem comparatively expensive at £10 also.

A great pity (especially given Eden's claimed green credentials) that they aren't doing more to encourage people to arrive by public transport (?combined ticket/discounted entry) - fully appreciate this isn't in First's control and is no criticism of Cornwall by Kernow. Likewise wouldn't it be great if Transport for Cornwall acknowledged these tourist orientated services to help reduce seasonal traffic pressures and encourage more sustainable leisure journeys - surely that should fit with Cornwall Council's strategic objectives?!

A great effort by Cornwall by Kernow and exciting to hear this is just the start.

richw

Veteran Member
I wonder when the new open toppers (the EYMS, FSE, Bristol & ECB) ones will be entered onto the BusTimes system.
Marc Huws has revealed a further additon from Eastbourne sightseeing today on Twitter. T819RFG

On the Buses

The new/revised services and associated leaflets and website are very impressive and I wish Cornwall by Kernow every success with them.

The only aspect that isn't totally clear is the ticketing (it doesn't appear Adventures by Bus (AbB) tickets are available to book yet) and how these "mesh" with the standard ticket offer. Eg, is the £30 seven day adventurer the same as the Cornwall by Kernow £28 seven day mTicket? If so, how do the half price additional adventurers tickets fit? Given the family focus in some of the leaflets it seems odd that the child fares aren't published anywhere in the AbB leaflets/website?

With the days out by bus ticketing I'm assuming that you only pay one fare - eg Newquay to Eden (change of bus ) to Lanhydrock (and return) is £10? This isn't totally clear, and if so makes a day out to Eden (and return) seem comparatively expensive at £10 also.

A great pity (especially given Eden's claimed green credentials) that they aren't doing more to encourage people to arrive by public transport (?combined ticket/discounted entry) - fully appreciate this isn't in First's control and is no criticism of Cornwall by Kernow. Likewise wouldn't it be great if Transport for Cornwall acknowledged these tourist orientated services to help reduce seasonal traffic pressures and encourage more sustainable leisure journeys - surely that should fit with Cornwall Council's strategic objectives?!

A great effort by Cornwall by Kernow and exciting to hear this is just the start.
The ticketing is about to go live.
There is no child fare - they are effectively half after the first adult has paid, as are all subsequent customers travelling together as a group.
It’s simple if you just follow it (rather than assume it’s different!)

With pricing info we’ve arrived at the view that while lots of things may be valid on it, the communication has to be simple. Showing a multitude of prices and tickets is confusing and puts people off.
Anyone holding a BoS or CbK pass or a Ride Cornwall can travel but we’ll tell them through rail BoS and CbK
For potential customers approaching ABB it’s a very simple offer set.
We still have to conclude what Cornwall are accepting concessions on, Devon and Somerset are accepting!

Marc Huws has revealed a further additon from Eastbourne sightseeing today on Twitter. T819RFG
It’s sister will be coming down next week too he said on his Twitter post.

There is no child fare - they are effectively half after the first adult has paid, as are all subsequent customers travelling together as a group.

With pricing info we’ve arrived at the view that while lots of things may be valid on it, the communication has to be simple. Showing a multitude of prices and tickets is confusing and puts people off.
Anyone holding a BoS or CbK pass or a Ride Cornwall can travel but we’ll tell them through rail BoS and CbK
We still have to conclude what Cornwall are accepting concessions on, Devon and Somerset are accepting!
Will the normal day tickets be accepted on ABB too?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Quite agree re Eden!

The guidance issued for the production of the Bus Service Improvement Plans (BSIP) required to be produced by local authorities by October (stupidly short deadline) specifically mentions that attention should indeed be given to tourist-orientated services exactly as you have suggested. Don't work for the DfT do you? :D

jammy36

Yes, appreciate there's lots of "plates spinning" and work still being done behind the scenes!
It is simple as you explain it, it was just the mention of child fares in the Help/FAQs section that was confusing - perhaps that part of the website is to be updated still?

Indeed you're right - and I appreciate that people like me on this forum aren't your target market ;).

I'm not sure what is preferred/financially better for you (?), but hope the council's give you (and your customers) the clarity needed soon.

Good luck next week and for the rest of the season!

On the Buses

Yes, appreciate there's lots of "plates spinning" and work still being done behind the scenes!

It is simple as you explain it, it was just the mention of child fares in the Help/FAQs section that was confusing - perhaps that part of the website is to be updated still?

Indeed you're right - and I appreciate that people like me on this forum aren't your target market ;).

I'm not sure what is preferred/financially better for you (?), but hope the council's give you (and your customers) the clarity needed soon.

Good luck next week and for the rest of the season!
Yes we have some tidying to do next week!

RPI

Established Member
If, 10 years ago someone came back from 2021 and showed me all of this, what was First Devon & Cornwall at the time I'd think they were on crack! The improvement over the past few years has been amazing and the latest improvements with these fantastic looking leisure routes is quite impressive, I really hope this pays off and I for one will be looking forward to using some of these services this summer, hats off to those that have made it happen!

charlie1284

I wonder when the new open toppers (the EYMS, FSE, Bristol & ECB) ones will be entered onto the BusTimes system.
They appear on bustimes once a journey is logged on using the buses ticket machine. So effectively the buses won't appear until they are in service for the first time.

On the Buses

What he means is like kept for events or running days or just preserved.
Does he??? Two open tops bought especially for events, running days or preservation???
No, we buy buses to earn money for our shareholders !!!

Last edited:

Accelerator59

What fleet numbers will these Lolynes be allocated?
If I remember rightly the X501/2/3/4 BFJ Lolynes First Devon & Cornwall (correct me if I’m wrong) used to have were 32751/2/3/4, so possibly anything just before those, or maybe 32797/8 if they haven’t been used before.

richw

Veteran Member
If I remember rightly the X501/2/3/4 BFJ Lolynes First Devon & Cornwall (correct me if I’m wrong) used to have were 32751/2/3/4, so possibly anything just before those, or maybe 32797/8 if they haven’t been used before.
I imagine close in number to the other Trident open tops that were new to First, as I guess that’s where Tridents of that era would fit it

Busgeek

I've just and had a good read through all the new leaflets. They look great. I mean, it to me is a gamble. But this is uncharted territory. Good effort to first for going for this! I hope it works out for you! The leaflets are great, full of info for all the things you could do! I didn't spot Paradise Park on the Lizard leaflet, which I feel is a big miss really. But I may have just not seen it.

I would like to note, I passed Helston Outstation earlier. Looks like the first day of the Lizard open top may be closed top. I remember on the buses saying that they had one or two spare.

Again, such a new beginning and a large PVR it will take time I guess.

Best of luck to all involved!

Last edited by a moderator:

richw

Veteran Member
I didn't spot Paradise Park on the Lizard leaflet, which I feel is a big miss really. But I may have just not seen it.
From the briefing I attended it’s my understanding all the attractions listed are working in partnerships or similar with First Kernow.

Lizard1324

Does anyone know is the Transport for Cornwall 34 being reduced on the times the L1 serves the Lizard. I'm asking as looking at the two timetables the 34 and L1 both arrive at the lizard at the same time, they then leave 1 minute apart which seems pointless to have two buses.

dan.zyx

So... which of the new services (if any) accept Ride Cornwall and also, what does the section I've highlighted in bold mean, because I can't make any sense out of what you've said.

Goldfish62

Established Member
So... which of the new services (if any) accept Ride Cornwall and also, what does the section I've highlighted in bold mean, because I can't make any sense out of what you've said.
What I take it to mean is that anyone with a CbK, BoS or Ride Cornwall day or period ticket can use all the ABB routes Inc Exeter and Dartmoor. And this information will be on the relevant websites.

With an AC or LEC ticket it looks like you can use everything including all of CbK and BoS.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Does anyone know is the Transport for Cornwall 34 being reduced on the times the L1 serves the Lizard. I'm asking as looking at the two timetables the 34 and L1 both arrive at the lizard at the same time, they then leave 1 minute apart which seems pointless to have two buses.

Did you miss the extended exchange that was had on this subject? Have you checked the TfC site? Checked service registrations?

Not certain we need to return to this subject
What I take it to mean is that anyone with a CbK, BoS or Ride Cornwall day or period ticket can use all the ABB routes Inc Exeter and Dartmoor. And this information will be on the relevant websites.

With an AC or LEC ticket it looks like you can use everything including all of CbK and BoS.

I think it was also a question on abbreviations. So CbK being Cornwall by Kernow, BoS Buses of Somerset, AC/LEC Atlantic/Lands End Coaster