• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

On the Buses

So today we decided to sample the Lizard network by way of the L3 and L1. An enjoyable day out, but not without its bus problems.

The L3 left Truro 7 late due to heavy inbound traffic and arrived at Helston 30 late due to a wide load (boat) bringing Helston to a halt. No matter - it gave time for a snack at Sainsbury's and we caught the next L1, which was 37729 with its deafening cooling fan.

What a great route, though, the L1 is as an open topper. Having left Sainsbury's on time we got to the Lizard 5 late, so quite tight running time.

On return we had an Atlantic Coaster E400 (didn't take note of which one) which departed 8 late because the driver had problems starting it. It got swapped at Sainsbury's for a white BASE B7TL and we arrived at Coinagehall Street five min after the L3 would have departed (it wasn't tracking so couldn't be 100% sure). TfC route 36 came to the rescue, relieving us of £10.40 in the process (we were travelling on First Week Family & Friends tickets).

The Lizard network is a great concept, but the "guaranteed connection" aspect claimed in the leaflet doesn't work, and neither can it really without positive communication to drivers regarding how delayed connections might be. The L3 probably could have been held for five min without significant impact, but clearly the L1 in the morning couldn't have been held for the significantly delayed inward L3.
If you send details we’ll send you a free second day ticket to compensate for the TfC payment!
We planned to have someone in Helston to manage the connections and still do plan that, but we have so many staff self isolating we’ve had to get everyone out driving for now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
I also had a ride on the Lizard network on Wednesday.

The journey from Helston to Lizard ran 15 mins late, which as it happens benefitted me as I was running late and would have missed it otherwise. It was one of the open top Geminis. With a 15 min layover at Lizard the return journey ran on time.

Coming back from The Lizard, the outbound was running 30 mins late meaning the inbound ran 15 mins late. It was one of the Lizard East Lancs closed top buses. At Sainsbury’s we were asked to change buses and board an open top E400 instead for the short trip back to the Blue Anchor

Other observations in general, there is still a lot of livery variation about, as well as buses in fleet colours, I also saw in public service First livery Presidents and Gemini, The Vamooz bus, a white ALX400, red front Bristol ALX400s, A Lizard bus on The Tinner, the blue single deck on The Tinner, plus of course the Mousehole M6 was in the hands of 1 Mousehole Solo, 1 Barbie Solo and 1 old BoS Solo. Also a Cornwall College bus on the 91 and DayTripper livery buses on various services

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
If you send details we’ll send you a free second day ticket to compensate for the TfC payment!
We planned to have someone in Helston to manage the connections and still do plan that, but we have so many staff self isolating we’ve had to get everyone out driving for now.
Thanks very much!

vla50

So today we decided to sample the Lizard network by way of the L3 and L1. An enjoyable day out, but not without its bus problems.

The L3 left Truro 7 late due to heavy inbound traffic and arrived at Helston 30 late due to a wide load (boat) bringing Helston to a halt. No matter - it gave time for a snack at Sainsbury's and we caught the next L1, which was 37729 with its deafening cooling fan.

What a great route, though, the L1 is as an open topper. Having left Sainsbury's on time we got to the Lizard 5 late, so quite tight running time.

On return we had an Atlantic Coaster E400 (didn't take note of which one) which departed 8 late because the driver had problems starting it. It got swapped at Sainsbury's for a white BASE B7TL and we arrived at Coinagehall Street five min after the L3 would have departed (it wasn't tracking so couldn't be 100% sure). TfC route 36 came to the rescue, relieving us of £10.40 in the process (we were travelling on First Week Family & Friends tickets).

The Lizard network is a great concept, but the "guaranteed connection" aspect claimed in the leaflet doesn't work, and neither can it really without positive communication to drivers regarding how delayed connections might be. The L3 probably could have been held for five min without significant impact, but clearly the L1 in the morning couldn't have been held for the significantly delayed inward L3.
I really like the look of the Lizard network and I bet it will be really popular consistently throughout the summer not just because of the Lizard Peninsula but also the numerous campsites and local villages. Definitely the views are amazing

On the Buses

I also had a ride on the Lizard network on Wednesday.

The journey from Helston to Lizard ran 15 mins late, which as it happens benefitted me as I was running late and would have missed it otherwise. It was one of the open top Geminis. With a 15 min layover at Lizard the return journey ran on time.

Coming back from The Lizard, the outbound was running 30 mins late meaning the inbound ran 15 mins late. It was one of the Lizard East Lancs closed top buses. At Sainsbury’s we were asked to change buses and board an open top E400 instead for the short trip back to the Blue Anchor

Other observations in general, there is still a lot of livery variation about, as well as buses in fleet colours, I also saw in public service First livery Presidents and Gemini, The Vamooz bus, a white ALX400, red front Bristol ALX400s, A Lizard bus on The Tinner, the blue single deck on The Tinner, plus of course the Mousehole M6 was in the hands of 1 Mousehole Solo, 1 Barbie Solo and 1 old BoS Solo. Also a Cornwall College bus on the 91 and DayTripper livery buses on various services
Because we have removed 25 older vehicles (B7TLs and Tridents) in the last couple of weeks and have not yet got the 30 MMCs back for September college return, the whole fleet is being used across the network, meaning that college and school vehicles are in full use.
That will resolve itself in September. We have had a few weeks without any repaints while suppliers needed a break and we were tight for vehicles for G7 and other contract work.
Painting has recommenced now but the order isn’t necessarily as the enthusiast observer may expect. That’s because we have a few urgent one off projects and needs, and have a September set of changes that dictate the roll out of a few new brands only then. As a result some vehicles will need to change livery ahead of some First livery repaints into the new brands.

Andyh82

Established Member
Also are there any plans to replace (or revinyl) the bus stop flags, as I notice quite a large number of them are in the “First Kernow” design based on the Olympia livery.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Also are there any plans to replace (or revinyl) the bus stop flags, as I notice quite a large number of them are in the “First Kernow” design based on the Olympia livery.
And quite a few in the original First style also remain.

Accelerator59

I know the old Truronian bus stop flag remained at Carharrack (on the main road) for some time, even after Truronian were long gone. Whether it’s still there to this day, I’m not sure but I highly doubt it.

S.Jacket

As I understand it TfC do all bus stop flags now and in time all the First flags will be a distant memory, unless someone can confirm otherwise?

On the Buses

Cornwall Council took direct control of all bus stop flag works a couple of years ago so we haven’t been able to do anything to them. We’ve asked for everything out of date and where we don’t operate now to be removed throughout that time period.

Andyh82

Established Member
I see that the DayTripper and Newquay S services have had their suspension extended to 1st August

Have the Newquay S Services actually run at all or were they suspended from the start?

Lizard1324

I see that the DayTripper and Newquay S services have had their suspension extended to 1st August

Have the Newquay S Services actually run at all or were they suspended from the start?
The s services did run for a short while but didn't always show as it was the start of the driver shortages, which mean the service was paused.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Cornwall Council took direct control of all bus stop flag works a couple of years ago so we haven’t been able to do anything to them. We’ve asked for everything out of date and where we don’t operate now to be removed throughout that time period.
That's a shame because it has an impact on your brand.

The council's work on flags to date has been somewhat patchy to say the least. In some locations flags and new timetable frames have been installed where there weren't previously any, in other locations flags have been installed and the current, sometimes outdated flags also remain, while some locations are untouched. The way the new flags have been banded to the council's own Trueform stop poles also looks amateurish.

Then there's the whole issue of branding which may give the impression that only TfC services call at the stop.

Andyh82

Established Member
From what I’ve seen when I was on holiday in Cornwall last week, The Tinner and U Lines route has red or blue Kernow stops, which seem to be stickers on old bus stop flags

Stops around the coast have Atlantic Coaster flags, everywhere else has in the main, the First Kernow stops.

Plus there is of course additional TfC flags attached to the same stops in many places

Goldfish62

Established Member
From what I’ve seen when I was on holiday in Cornwall last week, The Tinner and U Lines route has red or blue Kernow stops, which seem to be stickers on old bus stop flags

Stops around the coast have Atlantic Coaster flags, everywhere else has in the main, the First Kernow stops.

Plus there is of course additional TfC flags attached to the same stops in many places
There are also Atlantic Coasters flags on what used to be the A17 and Mousehole flags on the M6. There are also a fair number of Barbie-era First flags dotted around the place, both on current routes and on routes no longer served by FK.

richw

Veteran Member
Here in Liskeard there are still half a dozen or so Western Greyhound flags, and also a solitary Liskeard and District flag which must have been there 10+ years i would think.
The erection of Transport for Cornwall (TFC) flags by the council seems very haphazard in general from my observations; they don’t seem to follow any particular route or area. It’s almost like someone is randomly driving in a van and if they see a bus stop they swap it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiteway215

Established Member
PS ‘On the Buses’ did report one ALX was waiting to be collected for scrap and we don’t know the identity of that particular one.

On the Buses

I’m sure it’ll be a regular sight again when the others return from Hinkley soon! It was a regular sight before they went up there.
No, I thought I was very clear.
The four red fronted ALXs are only on loan from WoE and may return there. The nine white ALXs rented from BASE will end up in our ownership due to the length of the rental.
All the remaining are off. All have gone except two in Cornwall. One has a duff engine and has been replaced by 32075. One has a duff axle that is being swapped. One is in Exeter waiting a small repair.
So that’s it all gone - no more!

No, I thought I was very clear.
The four red fronted ALXs are only on loan from WoE and may return there. The nine white ALXs rented from BASE will end up in our ownership due to the length of the rental.
All the remaining are off. All have gone except two in Cornwall. One has a duff engine and has been replaced by 32075. One has a duff axle that is being swapped. One is in Exeter waiting a small repair.
So that’s it all gone - no more!
So are you actually buying the white ALXs now as you said they will end up in your ownership because of the length of the rental. It’s like what @TheGrandWazoo said a few weeks ago I miss some nuances of information or I either make assumptions that aren’t quite right because of my ASD.

You were very clear about the ALXs, I was just reminding @83G/84D that some Tinners seemed to be regulars covering the A17 before they went up to SPS.

Although I’m from Exeter, I generally do have a good knowledge of the Kernow fleet as I often go down to Cornwall few times per year.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
So are you actually buying the white ALXs now as you said they will end up in your ownership because of the length of the rental. It’s like what @TheGrandWazoo said a few weeks ago I miss some nuances of information or I either make assumptions that aren’t quite right because of my ASD.

You were very clear about the ALXs, I was just reminding @83G/84D that some Tinners seemed to be regulars covering the A17 before they went up to SPS.

Although I’m from Exeter, I generally do have a good knowledge of the Kernow fleet as I often go down to Cornwall few times per year.
Red double deckers still to be seen on A17 of course (one yesterday evening for example) but nothing to do with FK.