• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The first and last journeys of the day operated through from Donisford with an open top.
The open top pvr was 2.
The third vehicle required in service is a school single deck in fleet livery that operated the rest of the linked journeys from Donisford to Minehead.
The season started with 2 open tops. Neither were unreliable but both were taken off to rebuild the breaking systems and then maintained throughout for the challenging downhill runs. (Before anyone suggests otherwise, the breaking systems always functioned to standard - it’s just that the wear means we keep the systems ‘as new’ in order to prevent continual maintenance)
A third open top arrived during the course of the season to act as spare to cover maintenance (which is undertaken at Bridgwater). Until the third was available a Solar was used as necessary.
Thanks @On the Buses - that was what I thought was the pattern. I did think one of the Scanias had a few niggles (nowt serious) whereas the other one seemed to be barely miss a day but perhaps it just felt like that. As you say, it's a demanding route on the vehicles and especially the brakes. Even a basic inspection might take a vehicle out for a day if not two so a back up made sense to get the best out of the route and not grab a Solar from the 21.

I can't recall but think the other bus from schools was usually one of Bridgwater's e200s.

I only travelled on the EXMO once but it really is a superb route. Given the healthy loadings I saw (granted, a mere snapshot) were out of high season, it seemed to justify FSW's investment and faith in the product.

A bit irrelevant here but you mention an expanded Exmoor Coaster...didn't the 300 used to continue further on down to Woody Bay from Lynmouth? Or am I thinking of something different?

I do speculate perhaps the Exmoor Coaster might become full O/T this year because IIRC the PVR was 3 and there are 3 open tops so perhaps a fourth one might be added as a spare (I know a single decker used to regularly do the Exmoor Coaster)? All in the realm of speculation.
The 300 ran from Ilfracombe to Lynmouth during 2021 - in days of yore, it ran throughout as a joint operation between Southern National and Red Bus. The 2021 service from Taw and Torridge shown on the link

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On the Buses

Thanks @On the Buses - that was what I thought was the pattern. I did think one of the Scanias had a few niggles (nowt serious) whereas the other one seemed to be barely miss a day but perhaps it just felt like that. As you say, it's a demanding route on the vehicles and especially the brakes. Even a basic inspection might take a vehicle out for a day if not two so a back up made sense to get the best out of the route and not grab a Solar from the 21.

I can't recall but think the other bus from schools was usually one of Bridgwater's e200s.

I only travelled on the EXMO once but it really is a superb route. Given the healthy loadings I saw (granted, a mere snapshot) were out of high season, it seemed to justify FSW's investment and faith in the product.

The 300 ran from Ilfracombe to Lynmouth during 2021 - in days of yore, it ran throughout as a joint operation between Southern National and Red Bus. The 2021 service from Taw and Torridge shown on the link

Usually the wheel forward Streetlite I suspect

sbrignall72

Well, the LAND the publicised route "number" as per Traveline and bus stop timetables) is currently being operated mostly with E400s from route ATLA, together with the Geminis, although there seems to be a lot of inconsistency in respect of which journeys are covered by open toppers.

The Summer PVR on the LAND is eight, so nine replacement buses would make sense. In practice it's been extremely rare that all eight buses are open top. Commonly it's not unusual to have three of the workings covered by closed toppers. Newer buses would hopefully improve reliability in this respect.

@OntheBuses stated in his Omnibus Society talk that the section of the ATLA between Perranporth? and St Ives may be reduced this year due to poor loadings, although of course things may have moved on since then.

32179 dedicated to the FALM appears to be one of the most reliable buses in the fleet, but it's let down by its interior appearance. Hard plastic seats upstairs and extremely faded original seat moquette downstairs.
Do we know when the Lizard open tops will recommence, will it be Easter or end of May.

vla50

When all the cascades arrive at Somerset, will they all adorn a BOS livery or will they stay in regular First Olympia livery?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
When all the cascades arrive at Somerset, will they all adorn a BOS livery or will they stay in regular First Olympia livery?
???? Why would you think that, aside from the odd Eclipse due for disposal, why would you think that they won’t get a repaint?

There was a period when a large number of cascade did wear Urban but with the repainting of the Darts at Yeovil and those sent from West of England, there are relatively few in urban now.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Do we know when the Lizard open tops will recommence, will it be Easter or end of May.
In theory they can operate all year. The winter timetable states that open toppers may operate in good weather. Not that I'm aware they have as yet.

vla50

???? Why would you think that, aside from the odd Eclipse due for disposal, why would you think that they won’t get a repaint?

There was a period when a large number of cascade did wear Urban but with the repainting of the Darts at Yeovil and those sent from West of England, there are relatively few in urban now.
I was thinking because of the age they would be (the 54s just over 17) but there'd be nothing wrong in doing so. The 06s there would be no problem.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I was thinking because of the age they would be (the 54s just over 17) but there'd be nothing wrong in doing so. The 06s there would be no problem.
Remember that they have repainted plenty of 54 plates in Cornwall in the last couple of years, and even refurbished some of them. These will have a few years in them so you'd expect them to get painted.

The Eclipses haven't a long life in front of them, and think the Omnicities are already being culled so there shouldn't be a long term Urban presence but then again, the repainting has been known to be sporadic at times.

vla50

Remember that they have repainted plenty of 54 plates in Cornwall in the last couple of years, and even refurbished some of them. These will have a few years in them so you'd expect them to get painted.

The Eclipses haven't a long life in front of them, and think the Omnicities are already being culled so there shouldn't be a long term Urban presence but then again, the repainting has been known to be sporadic at times.
Yes you are right on that.

Are there any plans for 65759-764 and 66847/909/983 to move anywhere after their stint finishes at FSW?

Ancelljb

Are there any plans for 65759-764 and 66847/909/983 to move anywhere after their stint finishes at FSW?
If i recall correctly, On the Buses said that there were options for 65759-764 elsewhere within FSW, but the OmniCitys and Eclipses would be leaving the fleet. I may be wrong but am pretty sure that's what was said.

vla50

If i recall correctly, On the Buses said that there were options for 65759-764 elsewhere within FSW, but the OmniCitys and Eclipses would be leaving the fleet. I may be wrong but am pretty sure that's what was said.
Perhaps some might be used for Padstow Park & Ride?

richw

Veteran Member
Perhaps some might be used for Padstow Park & Ride?
Definitely not. When it was last running in summer of 2019 every double decker was full and standing, frequency was every 8-10 mins. A single decker would be completely inadequate

vla50

Definitely not. When it was last running in summer of 2019 every double decker was full and standing, frequency was every 8-10 mins. A single decker would be completely inadequate
That's a fair enough point. How long does the P&R service run for in the summer? Could it potentially if it only runs in the Summer Holidays perhaps be run using school buses?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

It's a little while ago but I think @On the Buses suggested, but didn't specify, a future use for the Solars. I'm sure he said the Eclipses and Omnicities are supposed to be leaving. As @richw states, Padstow P&R needs deckers; I've seen full loads and long queues at the relevant stop by the old station.

vla50

It's a little while ago but I think @On the Buses suggested, but didn't specify, a future use for the Solars. I'm sure he said the Eclipses and Omnicities are supposed to be leaving. As @richw states, Padstow P&R needs deckers; I've seen full loads and long queues at the relevant stop by the old station.
Well I thank the two of you for your responses and I am surprised the Padstow P&R gets as has high loadings as it does given that its only a small seaside town however likely attracts quite a lot of custom.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Well I thank the two of you for your responses and I am surprised the Padstow P&R gets as has high loadings as it does given that its only a small seaside town however likely attracts quite a lot of custom.
Visit Padstow around July and August and in my experience you can hardly move through the streets because of crowds of holidaymakers.

richw

Veteran Member
Perhaps try visiting Padstow and other pretty Cornish seaside towns/villages in summer. You’ll soon understand why.
Being a small village it has limited car parking, but if it’s the right weather it can attract 10000 plus visitors. The Right weather for being crowded being overcast and dry. Not beach weather but dry kind of days.

vla50

Perhaps try visiting Padstow and other pretty Cornish seaside towns/villages in summer. You’ll soon understand why.
Being a small village it has limited car parking, but if it’s the right weather it can attract 10000 plus visitors. The Right weather for being crowded being overcast and dry. Not beach weather but dry kind of days.
Yes and I do imagine it gets lots of custom as you mentioned.

CornwallBus

Have done Padstow P&R on a Food Festival weekend and taken full standing loads from the field every trip all morning and brought them back and they were in Tridents. I would think 12m Solars would ground out anyway!

As most have said, watch and see!

TechDan2002

I do wonder realistically how long the 54 reg B7TL Geminis are expected to go on for, could they possibly exceed the record set by some of the W reg ALX400 examples of 21 years in service?

83G/84D

Established Member
I do wonder realistically how long the 54 reg B7TL Geminis are expected to go on for, could they possibly exceed the record set by some of the W reg ALX400 examples of 21 years in service?

Some of the West of England 53 registration examples are withdrawn and being stripped for spares. I believe similar age one's in Scotland are as well.

Andyh82

Established Member
Some of the West of England 53 registration examples are withdrawn and being stripped for spares. I believe similar age one's in Scotland are as well.
They are ex London ones though aren’t they, so are probably in a different state than provincial examples and will have a different spec. I think the 2004 ones currently at Leeds and Huddersfield are the first ones that were purchased for outside London?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

As @On the Buses mentioned a few weeks or months ago, many of the FSW vehicles may be "of an age" but they are doing relatively little work potentially when you think it's 30 odd weeks a year, 5 days a week for about 4-5 hours a day. A repaint isn't really big bucks; the refurbs are a bit more surprising but they believe that it's justified.

The Bristol ones had already enjoyed a hard life in West London and similarly, had been well worked in Bristol too. Assume that the ones that have been stripped for spares were the worst examples. Some have gone elsewhere (e.g. to Kernow, Norfolk, and to Wessex as OTs) but they're fairly low capacity, especially the short wheelbase, so perhaps less popular for sale as school buses too.
They are ex London ones though aren’t they, so are probably in a different state than provincial examples and will have a different spec. I think the 2004 ones currently at Leeds and Huddersfield are the first ones that were purchased for outside London?
First Glasgow has a batch of 53 plates that were new to Olive Grove depot in Sheffield. Remember when they were new with the "faces in bubbles" contravision route branding that was a think in those days.

On the Buses

As @On the Buses mentioned a few weeks or months ago, many of the FSW vehicles may be "of an age" but they are doing relatively little work potentially when you think it's 30 odd weeks a year, 5 days a week for about 4-5 hours a day. A repaint isn't really big bucks; the refurbs are a bit more surprising but they believe that it's justified.

The Bristol ones had already enjoyed a hard life in West London and similarly, had been well worked in Bristol too. Assume that the ones that have been stripped for spares were the worst examples. Some have gone elsewhere (e.g. to Kernow, Norfolk, and to Wessex as OTs) but they're fairly low capacity, especially the short wheelbase, so perhaps less popular for sale as school buses too.

First Glasgow has a batch of 53 plates that were new to Olive Grove depot in Sheffield. Remember when they were new with the "faces in bubbles" contravision route branding that was a think in those days.
Not a full refurb. Just trim and paint. Less than the equivalent of 6 months depreciation on a fully depreciated decker produces vehicles that are suitable for our customers. The paint and trim is often to meet a tender spec.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not a full refurb. Just trim and paint. Less than the equivalent of 6 months depreciation on a fully depreciated decker produces vehicles that are suitable for our customers. The paint and trim is often to meet a tender spec.
Sorry - you're right. I was using the term refurb in relation to the retrimming of seats, not in a more extensive manner. Not a criticism of FSW but when you put it as you do, it makes the lack of retrimming in some other firms even more disappointing but the sums have to add up.

Still, it's good to see some upgrading of the Somerset decker fleet, and look forward to seeing those vehicles suitably repainted.

I believe On The Buses also said the remaining Trident ALXs and Presidents in Somerset are leaving too as they have more East Lanc Tridents and Geminis due in the near future.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The ones on the 17/18/19 and U4 are out there earning their keep all day, every day. No four hour days with two days a week off for them!

richw

Veteran Member
The ones on the 17/18/19 and U4 are out there earning their keep all day, every day. No four hour days with two days a week off for them!
The ones on the U4 seem to rotate round between schools and college and U4. One day on U4 next day on a school or college.