• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

THarris123

Established Member
Possibly a couple of driver changes between 54 and 77 during the day in Somerton?

PVR of Yeovil town services reduced from 7 to 3.
That's interesting with the town services. Depends on who has 68 and how that changes. Yeovil town is 6 I think at the mo, but will basically see off the remaining darts

Also interesting to note how 54 and 55 will work - one starts off in Yeovil then finishes in Taunton and the other starts in Taunton and finishes in Yeovil. Looks to me like 55 replaces the college run on 77 rather than 55C

Anyone able to help me work out the route 29 and 75 are taking in Glastonbury?

I think 75 will follow the current 29 route up to the top of the estate Leg of Mutton Road, then 29 I think starts at Leg of Mutton Road, follows the road to the shops, then turns right instead of left (narrow lane going to hospital) and follows the road back down to Glastonbury High Street, effectively creating a small loop. Only thing which gets me is it doesn't have any of the stops in between on 75 on Traveline and on 29 it shows as serving Millfield School, which is nowhere near.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paperyostrich

Possibly a couple of driver changes between 54 and 77 during the day in Somerton?

PVR of Yeovil town services reduced from 7 to 3.

Nope no driver changes as far as I am aware. Just one long day between Taunton and Somerton :( (obviously with appropriate breaks in-between)

As for the 51 Route - For Abbey Manor Park, it will take normal route up Preston Road to Asda, continue normally to Abbey Manor - The Forum, then after going round Stourton Way will turn right towards the new Brimsmore Estate, before going down Larkhill Road and back to Preston Road to town. This ensures that Monks Dale/ Wessex Road area still get some service through them. (The side roads the 53 goes through now unfortunately rarely see passangers whereas Larkhill Road does)

For Cavalier Way, Normal route to Cavalier Way, but at the end of the road instead of heading back to Runnymede Road will continue right down Lyde Road, head into St Johns Road and then back to St Michaels Avenue. This ensures that part of the 53 route is also covered

Hope that makes sense

Citistar

Also interesting to note how 54 and 55 will work - one starts off in Yeovil then finishes in Taunton and the other starts in Taunton and finishes in Yeovil. Looks to me like 55 replaces the college run on 77 rather than 55C

The 55 is a replacement for the current 55C and the Charlton Mackrell leg of the 77. The morning 54 from Yeovil (arriving Taunton 0819) doesn't appear to work straight back out as a 54 because there isn't a Somerton bound departure from Taunton until 0940.

Clearly the interurban network has been replanned around where there is established demand is for school and college services, with the daytime services jigsawed in around them. Bearing that in mind, I think the net gains in terms of service level are quite an achievement. It'll be a shame if the duties get Optibusted and then alienate all the drivers.

M803UYA

The 55 is a replacement for the current 55C and the Charlton Mackrell leg of the 77. The morning 54 from Yeovil (arriving Taunton 0819) doesn't appear to work straight back out as a 54 because there isn't a Somerton bound departure from Taunton until 0940.
Merging the 55C into a daytime diagram is quite clever - when I drove it three years ago at Berrys I was paying c£100 a week in takings as I was the only driver bothering to issue tickets and collect fares! Given the purchase price of the geriatric Dart I was driving it was quite lucrative for the company.

CD

That's interesting with the town services. Depends on who has 68 and how that changes. Yeovil town is 6 I think at the mo, but will basically see off the remaining darts

Currently 4 on 51 and 3 on 53. I am waiting for a reply from South West Coaches as to whether they have the contract for the new 68 from 6th June.

Citistar

The timetables on Traveline appear to show:
1 - increased to 20 mins.
2 - decreased to hourly.
4 - decreased to hourly. Town services I think reduce PVR by 2
21/A - college runs removed.
22 - Tiverton scrapped?
14/15 - terminates at bus station.

Anyone able to confirm if Tiverton scrapped? And any ideas what the other changes are?
Taunton 3 (Bishops Hull) appears to be withdrawn. Perhaps the proximity of the more frequent Park & Ride service has rendered it unviable?

The cuts to urban services around Taunton and Yeovil make for sobering reading.

minecrafter63

Checked with Marc Huws on twitter yesterday about the 3 and it is going to be operated by Somerset County Council in house .

Last edited by a moderator:

Paperyostrich

Taunton 3 (Bishops Hull) appears to be withdrawn. Perhaps the proximity of the more frequent Park & Ride service has rendered it unviable?

Unfortunately urban routes are just not coming back as strongly. Many of our interurban routes however are performing much better.

Some routes in town we are averaging 8-10 passangers per trip so not busy at all. And when it is 90% passes too it just wont pay the bills

CD

Unfortunately urban routes are just not coming back as strongly. Many of our interurban routes however are performing much better.

Some routes in town we are averaging 8-10 passangers per trip so not busy at all. And when it is 90% passes too it just wont pay the bills
We all knew cuts were coming but didn't expect them to be so drastic. Hopefully there will not be too many drivers losing their jobs because of this.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Sadly, urban routes have been on the decline for many years in provincial towns. Dominated by pass holders, they simply cannot pay their way and the cuts were expected. Hopefully, the changes to the 54 and 77 are such that Yeovil doesn't need to shed jobs

M803UYA

Sadly, urban routes have been on the decline for many years in provincial towns. Dominated by pass holders, they simply cannot pay their way and the cuts were expected. Hopefully, the changes to the 54 and 77 are such that Yeovil doesn't need to shed jobs
My suspicion is that none would be lost - they're advertising for drivers at present. So it might be trimming to a level that can be resourced.

On the Buses

Please be very clear.
1. There are no job losses
2. We are not cutting back service to staff levels
3. This is what we believe to be commercially sustainable

THarris123

Established Member
So from what I can tell from Traveline, these are the changes:

1 increase to every 20 mins, 2 PVR, single
2 decrease to every 60 mins, interwork with 4, 1 PVR, single
3 withdrawn
4 decrease to every 60 mins, route change, interwork with 2, single
6 timetable change, interworks with 7, PVR 2, single
7 timetable change, interworks with 6, single
10 no change, PVR 1, single
14/15 terminates at bus station, fewer college trips, 15 interworks with B1, PVR 2, decker
21/A college runs removed, PVR 6, decker
22 not sure, maybe timetable change, PVR 4, decker
X22 change of number, college holiday trips now, PVR 1, decker
25 timetable change, PVR 2, decker (I think)
28 not sure, PVR 8, single
29 terminates Glastonbury doing a loop around the Windmill Hill estate, interworked with 75 PVR 2 Taunton, PVR 2 Bridgwater, singles
30 timetable change. First/last trips withdrawn, PVR 2, decker
51 route and timetable change, PVR 3, single
53 withdrawn
54/55 runs to Somerton only, PVR 1 Taunton and 1 Yeovil, decker
55c withdrawn
58 no change, PVR 2, single
75 interworks with 29, single
X75 withdrawn
77 increased to hourly, PVR 3, decker
99 first run/last run withdrawn, PVR 1, single
623/625 no change, PVR 2, decker
B1 route change and cut back to off peak, interworks with 15, decker
B2 withdrawn
PR1 no change, PVR 4, single
X10 no change, PVR 2, single
Y6 no change, PVR 1, single
Exmoor no change, PVR 3, open top
Sunseeker new service 29/5, PVR 1, single. Changes on 2/7 to 2 PVR

Currently PVR of 69 across Somerset
Due to decrease to 59 (60 from 2/7/22)
I think 24 deckers required (30 in fleet), 3 open tops (4) and 32 singles (48 potentially in fleet). I'd imagine there will be some singles moving out, maybe the solos?

Reduction in Yeovil is 3. Reduction in Taunton is 4. Reduction in Bridgwater is 4. Increase of 1 in Minehead (if Sunseeker run out of Minehead)

By my calcs allocation - pure guess:
Yeovil 5 deckers, 10 singles
Bridgwater 10 deckers, 6 singles(?)
Minehead 3 open top, 9 singles
Taunton 15 deckers, 20 singles

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
Please be very clear.
1. There are no job losses
2. We are not cutting back service to staff levels
3. This is what we believe to be commercially sustainable
From what I've been told Yeovil have 3 drivers going to Cornwall, since 5 less duties. So whilst no job losses in First South West, there's technically job losses in buses of Somerset

richw

Veteran Member
From what I've been told Yeovil have 3 drivers going to Cornwall, since 5 less duties. So whilst no job losses in First South West, there's technically job losses in buses of Somerset
FSW introduced a drivers flexipool a few years back, drivers could apply to be on that roster. It is where a driver could be sent anywhere within the group to work, expenses covered, and from memory an enhanced rate of pay. The driver at my outstation this morning from Yeovil is on that driver flexi pool, and was telling me everywhere he’s been to help out. If I was single it would appeal to me for sure getting about all over the southwest to work with some nice variety.

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
FSW introduced a drivers flexipool a few years back, drivers could apply to be on that roster. It is where a driver could be sent anywhere within the group to work, expenses covered, and from memory an enhanced rate of pay. The driver at my outstation this morning from Yeovil is on that driver flexi pool, and was telling me everywhere he’s been to help out. If I was single it would appeal to me for sure getting about everywhere to work.
Oh I completely agree. Certainly the sort of thing I would do, but the point I'm clarifying is there are actual job losses in Somerset, not many I'm sure, but in South West there aren't. If WoE had that sort of system, I'd more than happily welcome it. Plus I'd happily go to Cornwall on loan anytime

On the Buses

Oh I completely agree. Certainly the sort of thing I would do, but the point I'm clarifying is there are actual job losses in Somerset, not many I'm sure, but in South West there aren't. If WoE had that sort of system, I'd more than happily welcome it. Plus I'd happily go to Cornwall on loan anytime
There are NO job losses in Somerset. There may be a reduction in work but that is NOT a loss of any job. We have numerous ways of utilising more drivers than we need if that scenario occurs without making anyone change depot never mind business unit, none of which leads to the loss of any job.

Redmike

It does seem strange that a large estate like Sydenham in Bridgwater doesn't have a bus into town until after 9am. It's a long time since I was there but I remember the Badgerline bus from Wells also serving Parkway as well as the local minibuses. It must be a sign of the times.

RELL6L

Clearly the interurban network has been replanned around where there is established demand is for school and college services, with the daytime services jigsawed in around them. Bearing that in mind, I think the net gains in terms of service level are quite an achievement. It'll be a shame if the duties get Optibusted and then alienate all the drivers.
I think the interworking might be a bit more nuanced now we can see the full times. The 77 that arrives at Strode College at 17.04 must form the 75 that leaves at 17.05, all the other relevant journeys have gone by then. The 75 that leaves Glastonbury at 16.55 could then be formed by either the 29 that arrives 16.45 or the 55 that arrives at Street at 16.47. Less likely to be the 29 as the 29 does not get involved in the morning in the same way, but possible. This suggests that Bridgwater gets involved in the 54/55/77 as well as Taunton and Yeovil. The 75 that leaves Strode at 17.05 just goes to Bridgwater and that's it for the day (unless it goes out on the 21 which looks unlikely), so looks like a Bridgwater vehicle and this looks like it leaves Taunton as a 55 at 15.40, suggesting it runs on the 54s.

So maybe the 75 in the morning that arrives at Glastonbury 08.50 leaves on the 55 at 09.15 - that looks unlikely (but possible) as it would mean that the 55 arriving at 08.55 then leaves on a 77 at 08.56. If it was this then the Bridgwater bus would work on the 77 between 08.56 and 17.04 - but the driver would have to have a break somewhere. Also it appears that the 75 arriving at Wells at 18.00 leaves for Yeovil as a 77 at 18.10 and one bus on the 75 starts at Wells while a 77 finishes there. The 29 and 75 inter-work most of the daytime so Taunton get involved here too. Also one 29 starts and one finishes at Glastonbury - I guess this could run light to Taunton or Bridgwater (or Wells).

It all looks quite complex - we'll see when it starts and the vehicle workings become clear on BusTimes!