• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
We’re busier than ever.
Perhaps that's testament to the new fares initiative working. ;) Malcolm Bell from Visit Cornwall, interviewed live from his Scilly holiday on Friday, was clear that total visitor numbers are and will be less this summer than last. Many older people who've come down here by car may be switching to buses for some of their day trips because of fuel prices and ludicrous short term parking charges too. A friend of mine who manages a slew of Costas told me this afternoon that she's in despair about recruiting and retaining staff, so every day one or more Costas closes early, opens late or both. Restaurants and hotels are even worse affected, and a well-known restaurant in Penzance is now closed permanently after forty years trading as the owners could not find any serving or kitchen staff.

LateThanNever

Perhaps that's testament to the new fares initiative working. ;) Malcolm Bell from Visit Cornwall, interviewed live from his Scilly holiday on Friday, was clear that total visitor numbers are and will be less this summer than last. Many older people who've come down here by car may be switching to buses for some of their day trips because of fuel prices and ludicrous short term parking charges too. A friend of mine who manages a slew of Costas told me this afternoon that she's in despair about recruiting and retaining staff, so every day one or more Costas closes early, opens late or both. Restaurants and hotels are even worse affected, and a well-known restaurant in Penzance is now closed permanently after forty years trading as the owners could not find any serving or kitchen staff.
Surely the addendum to that is 'at the right price'?
Basically our economy is no longer working.
Probably because we don't understand where money comes from:
And of course since 1866

richw

Veteran Member
Malcolm Bell from Visit Cornwall, interviewed live from his Scilly holiday on Friday, was clear that total visitor numbers are and will be less this summer than last
We’ve spent a ‘staycation’ at perran sands Haven caravan park this weekend. I was talking to a member of staff and they told me they have let 100% of their accommodation last week and this week, and over 97% until august bank holiday.
All the facilities were clearly very busy to reflect that and perranporth town was also very crowded

Goldfish62

Established Member
Along with the fairly extensive changes to the GCB supported network, CbK timetables from 4/9/22 are now appearing on Traveline.

I've only had a very brief look, but I notice that, unsurprisingly, the Tin Coaster will revert to serving Penzance town centre instead of the Jubilee Pool. It will however still run via Alverton instead of West Cornwall Hospital and Heamoor.

We’ve spent a ‘staycation’ at perran sands Haven caravan park this weekend. I was talking to a member of staff and they told me they have let 100% of their accommodation last week and this week, and over 97% until august bank holiday.
All the facilities were clearly very busy to reflect that and perranporth town was also very crowded
I think the chaos at airports and at Dover will have resulted in some people making last minute plans and have a staycation instead.

richw

Veteran Member
I think the chaos at airports and at Dover will have resulted in some people making last minute plans and have a staycation instead.
I don’t think the airports are as bad as made out. In the week Prior to perran sands I’ve flown through Newquay, Manchester and Gatwick (all domestic flights, planned to avoid rail due to industrial issues being uncertain at time of booking). The longest security queue was Newquay at 22 minutes. Gatwick just under 20, and Manchester there was no queue, and I was through in the time it took to empty my pockets.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I don’t think the airports are as bad as made out. In the week Prior to perran sands I’ve flown through Newquay, Manchester and Gatwick (all domestic flights, planned to avoid rail due to industrial issues being uncertain at time of booking). The longest security queue was Newquay at 22 minutes. Gatwick just under 20, and Manchester there was no queue, and I was through in the time it took to empty my pockets.
I've flown a couple of times recently (Heathrow and Bristol) and I'd agree, but people have clearly been influenced by the media.

dgl

Established Member
And down in Dorset at work we've been full for most of the year so far, the summer holidays for us just mean more people in the vans rather than many more going out. In fact one week we had 108% occupancy rate!

83G/84D

Established Member
President 33111 (PJ02 PZP) or it's ticket machine is showing as tracking on PR1A on bustimes. I thought it had left the First South West fleet, maybe I was wrong.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Along with the fairly extensive changes to the GCB supported network, CbK timetables from 4/9/22 are now appearing on Traveline.

I've only had a very brief look, but I notice that, unsurprisingly, the Tin Coaster will revert to serving Penzance town centre instead of the Jubilee Pool. It will however still run via Alverton instead of West Cornwall Hospital and Heamoor.

That may be because every other GCB no.5 is being diverted away from Alverton, and with The Mouseholes apt to be full or nearly so Penzance-bound by Alverton if I were a passenger there I'd probably aim for a Tin Coaster, all else being equal. It's a shame the estates to the west and north west of Penzance seem almost designed to repel buses, even small ones.

Bazer

President 33111 (PJ02 PZP) or it's ticket machine is showing as tracking on PR1A on bustimes. I thought it had left the First South West fleet, maybe I was wrong.
33111 was programmed to Truro Park & Ride ticketers, when it was been used on Truro P&R. But never got removed from the P&R system when 33111 was removed from fleet.

Andyh82

Established Member
One criticism I have is that in recent years, they seem to be in a permanent state of flux and never quite ready for the summer season.

Branding buses for a summer service on the 2nd August? Coaster open tops half the time either being branded for the wrong route or unbranded? Maybe 2023 will finally be the year when it all comes together and everything is in place across the whole of summer.

E-Rail

Too may brands now I feel. I think retaining the Atlantic Coasters mini network would have been better. Just concentrate on one strong tourist product and focus on the operation of that rather the constant rebranding and recasting of these tourist routes.

Lands End Coaster doesn't really work as a brand to me. Atlantic Coasters did simply because they were routes serving the 'Atlantic Coast'. Does anybody refer to the coastline around West Cornwall as 'the Lands End Coast'? Perhaps Land's End Breezer would've worked better if promoting the key destination was the goal.

Andyh82

Established Member
Telling people in Penzance who want to travel to St Ives to catch the ‘Lands End Coaster’ but carefully not the one that says ‘Lands End’ on the front might be a bit more confusing than it needs to be

If they want to have everything branded separately they need to stop having the whole fleet being common user and introduce individual depot allocations, but that would be a big change to how First SW works.

As I’ve said before, they get away with it because it all looks good, but if Arriva were running Lizard buses on the 17 or U1A the usual bus industry bloggers and commentators would be all over it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Telling people in Penzance who want to travel to St Ives to catch the ‘Lands End Coaster’ but carefully not the one that says ‘Lands End’ on the front might be a bit more confusing than it needs to be

If they want to have everything branded separately they need to stop having the whole fleet being common user and introduce individual depot allocations, but that would be a big change to how First SW works.

As I’ve said before, they get away with it because it all looks good, but if Arriva were running Lizard buses on the 17 or U1A the usual bus industry bloggers and commentators would be all over it.
I think the criticisms of Arriva go much deeper than the misallocation of vehicles!

Certainly, the issue of vinyls in FSW is a problem. Various vehicles are either bereft of them or carrying the wrong ones though some of those are clearly the unbranded spares. I wasn't feeling a great need for the Penwith route to be branded as Lands End Coaster and retaining the Atlantic Coaster brand may have been easier. As for the other routes, the odd Tinner on a 17 isn't the biggest issue but I couldn't really see the point of the Unique branding and those vehicles seem to get about quite a lot.

However, in this instance, isn't the issue that the Sunseekers were repainted but couldn't go on the route because of the requirement for tree lopping so NOT having them branded until now made sense.

embers25

Established Member
All the Kernow open tops I've used across all the routes have been very well loaded and will no passenger confusion . The wrong bus running in Exmoor still seems full and could be argued is advertising other routes so could actually generate other business. Buses in different exotic liveries generate interest and business.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The wrong bus running in Exmoor still seems full and could be argued is advertising other routes so could actually generate other business.
I doubt it very much. For people having a few days holiday in Minehead who were unaware of the Exmoor Coaster and who might be tempted to take a trip if they saw one, Land's End Coaster or completely anonymous means nothing.

Buses in different exotic liveries generate interest and business.
Branded liveries used on the right routes and in conjunction with other marketing and publicity can generate business. Branded buses on the wrong routes only create interest for *some* enthusiasts.

Routinely mixing up different brands just creates confusion for normal users and looks quite amateurish.

I doubt if anyone in the industry seriously thinks using branded buses on the wrong routes is actually a good idea.

Last edited:

E-Rail

Tourists just want an open top bus. They couldn't really care less if its branded or not. Look at Ensignbus' 68 in Southend - it's rammed and although the buses carry side posters they aren't what you would call branded. Here in Dorset, punters just want an open top bus ride, they don't not get on a morebus liveried 50 because its not a Purbeck Breezer.

Back to FSW, and I don't really get the Sunseeker brand either. It's very generic, says nothing about its purpose or locality served and seems like another waste of money when the previous brand was spot on.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Tourists just want an open top bus. They couldn't really care less if its branded or not. Look at Ensignbus' 68 in Southend - it's rammed and although the buses carry side posters they aren't what you would call branded. Here in Dorset, punters just want an open top bus ride, they don't not get on a morebus liveried 50 because its not a Purbeck Breezer.
Branding isn't primarily aimed at those who were already going to use the service. It's aimed at those who would otherwise be unaware of the service. I'd still use my local Tesco whether or not it had that huge illuminated sign. However, those who were looking for a Tesco or any supermarket will be left in no doubt as to its presence.

The 68 does have branding, albeit low key. It leaves you in no doubt as to where that open top bus is going.

Back to FSW, and I don't really get the Sunseeker brand either. It's very generic, says nothing about its purpose or locality served and seems like another waste of money when the previous brand was spot on.
I tend to agree, but I think one of the problems due to the split of the Atlantic Coaster was that on the S2 in particular you don't actually see much of the coast. It's more for transporting tourists from Hayle Towans to St Ives for the day.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I doubt it very much. For people having a few days holiday in Minehead who were unaware of the Exmoor Coaster and who might be tempted to take a trip if they saw one, Land's End Coaster or completely anonymous means nothing.

Branded liveries used on the right routes and in conjunction with other marketing and publicity can generate business. Branded buses on the wrong routes only create interest for *some* enthusiasts.

Routinely mixing up different brands just creates confusion for normal users and looks quite amateurish.

I doubt if anyone in the industry seriously thinks using branded buses on the wrong routes is actually a good idea.
Absolutely spot on.

Buses act as a massive billboard, and so it adds weight to the argument about buses on the wrong routes acting as an advert for their "real" route. I could just about see that as a Lands End Coaster (LEC) works a 17.

However, for the most part, it is only of interest to a few gricers. No one in Penzance is going to be swayed by a vehicle in UNIQUE livery to take that route, nor someone in Watchet to catch the LEC.

Don't know whether those two Geminis are staying long-term in Somerset but the vinyls could be amended to remove the LEC fleetnames

I guess that's the point. Sunseeker is a generic brand and it is aimed at the holiday camp market. The full Atlantic Coaster route probably had challenges in terms of its overall length and reliability, and also the Newquay to Padstow part being a lot stronger for a longer period of the year. Hence separating them out made some sense and a new brand helps to reinforce that.

Last edited:

buscoaster

It has been reported that there are four more buses going to Kernow, waiting to be converted to open top. Does anybody know what these are for?

richw

Veteran Member
Maybe these are the ex GoCoach E400s.
Andy Metcalfe who I believe is involved in fleet management for First bus has confirmed on a Facebook enthusiast group the 4 ex go coach are to lose roofs. For southwest not necessarily Cornwall.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Andy Metcalfe who I believe is involved in fleet management for First bus has confirmed on a Facebook enthusiast group the 4 ex go coach are to lose roofs. For southwest not necessarily Cornwall.
Interesting to see yet more investment in open toppers - some of the ones that arrived last year were quite mature and you'd think these might be replacements.

Aside from the Falmouth, Exeter and arguably the Sunseeker routes, the FSW open top routes are quite punishing - as anyone who has enjoyed the Exmoor one knows all too well.

83G/84D

Established Member
A shortage of drivers or buses today on the T1. The 1655 Penzance to Camborne didn’t turn up and it looks like the 1745 Penzance to Truro is going to be delayed as the bus is not in Penzance yet.

Lots of traffic in and around Penzance and lots of people waiting for the T1.