• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

richw

Veteran Member
Has anyone seen/ heard and recent repaints haven't head about any for a few weeks

one was delivered to Bodmin paint shop on Thursday afternoon. Not sure which one. A barbie coach went to the paint shop in Southampton at the end of last week too

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MB162435

Established Member
Had my first journey on 32121 on the 19:35 U1 service from Truro to Falmouth Moor, although a little tired in some places, it still runs smoothly and certainly has some power!

Here is what the interior looks like for those who haven't seen it

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_193122.jpg
    IMG_20200928_193122.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 75

Goldfish62

Established Member
Had my first journey on 32121 on the 19:35 U1 service from Truro to Falmouth Moor, although a little tired in some places, it still runs smoothly and certainly has some power!

Here is what the interior looks like for those who haven't seen it
Knackered old Arriva crate. :D

MB162435

Established Member
Indeed, although still quite comfy!

Was nice to be on a ALX 400 again tho, haven't been on once since I rode on 32097 last Summer on the L1, despite their age they still do the job pretty well (most of the time)

Accelerator59

one was delivered to Bodmin paint shop on Thursday afternoon. Not sure which one. A barbie coach went to the paint shop in Southampton at the end of last week too
Pretty sure I saw an old style Plaxton coach with the number plate HIG 1540 the other day and think that one was in Barbie livery. Unless I dreamt it :lol:

richw

Veteran Member
Pretty sure I saw an old style Plaxton coach with the number plate HIG 1540 the other day and think that one was in Barbie livery. Unless I dreamt it :lol:
You did. There is 3 or 4 in barbie now came from Scotland.

I had HIG1540 on bude to duchy college The whole second week of term. Drives very nicely despite appearance

Attachments

• DD81965E-E3F6-467C-80BE-DE39974F30D1.jpeg
    DD81965E-E3F6-467C-80BE-DE39974F30D1.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 72

Goldfish62

Established Member

Was nice to be on a ALX 400 again tho, haven't been on once since I rode on 32097 last Summer on the L1, despite their age they still do the job pretty well (most of the time)
Yes, they're solid vehicles. It's just that I remember this batch in London roaring around the place with their cooling fans seemingly permanently stuck on due to Arriva's poor maintenance regime. :D

MB162435

Established Member
Yes, they're solid vehicles. It's just that I remember this batch in London roaring around the place with their cooling fans seemingly permanently stuck on due to Arriva's poor maintenance regime. :D
Sounds like Arriva, my only experience with Arriva is with Crosscountry and that speaks for itself, Go-ahead ain't perfect but imagine Arriva running TfC

Thankfully Kernow's engineers are pros at working with old bangers, so hopefully all the recent arrivals should have no problem down here

richw

Veteran Member
An Open top President bodied Trident has arrived today. Not sure which one But assuming one of the T***SSG

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Looks like it had a mid-life refurb judging by the seats. I was never as sold on the ALX but have to say that they were well put together; much better built quality than the e400 that followed it!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
An Open top President bodied Trident has arrived today. Not sure which one But assuming one of the T***SSG

Could be quite a number of open toppers overwintering across Kernow. That said, assume that even despite the increased fleet for additional Covid workings (offset by some reduction from the last tender round) that there will be sufficient space across the depots to accommodate them?

I seem to recall most were stored at Penzance with the odd one at Truro but is that right?

richw

Veteran Member
Could be quite a number of open toppers overwintering across Kernow. That said, assume that even despite the increased fleet for additional Covid workings (offset by some reduction from the last tender round) that there will be sufficient space across the depots to accommodate them?

I seem to recall most were stored at Penzance with the odd one at Truro but is that right?
it’s a new to kernow trident. The rest are B7TL except the 2 ex EYMS Open top tridents due

henairs

Hi all,
Whilst passing Taunton depot this afternoon I noted a white livered Trident outside of the depot of the Transbus variant with a 53 reg plate. I'm thinking it could be in undercoat and a Taunton based vehicle reverting to its original number plate as the 6 here all received cherished reg's a while back.
Any thoughts please ?
Mike R

iantherev

Hi all,
Whilst passing Taunton depot this afternoon I noted a white livered Trident outside of the depot of the Transbus variant with a 53 reg plate. I'm thinking it could be in undercoat and a Taunton based vehicle reverting to its original number plate as the 6 here all received cherished reg's a while back.
Any thoughts please ?
Mike R
Might also be something from BASE on loan, stopping en route to Cornwall.

83G/84D

Established Member
I believe one of the new to fleet open toppers has just had.its new vinyls put on (yesterday i think ) and am led to believe will soon be appearing on the A5

Given the weather forecast for the next few days I don't think there will be many takers for the top deck. The unidentified E400 in Atlantic Coaster base colours without vinyls remains at Camborne.

They were although there were usually one or two at Camborne as well. I am not sure if the overflow yard at Penzance will be used at Penzance again this winter, it was emptied out earlier in the year and remains so.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
They were although there were usually one or two at Camborne as well. I am not sure if the overflow yard at Penzance will be used at Penzance again this winter, it was emptied out earlier in the year and remains so.
I wouldn't be surprised if the overflow yard has been given up. The need to reduce overheads is all the more important now.

With losing the 5 and 16/16A plus the reduction in the T1 frequency there's been an eight PVR saving at Penzance and I'm not aware of any additional contract work, so there'll be more storage room in the main depot yard.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Is there a reason there being towed, can't they drive themselves?
Because the open tops have been converted from closed tops they will need to be recertified before being driven on public highway.

As for the ones from BASE, you may be correct. :D

richw

Veteran Member
Is there a reason there being towed, can't they drive themselves?
Because the open tops have been converted from closed tops they will need to be recertified before being driven on public highway.

As for the ones from BASE, you may be correct. :D
The three Open tops being towed Are not new conversions, they are all ex EYMS via ensign
They are all coming on return loads for the towing company so probably on a good deal Making it more worthwhile than sending drivers and diesel etc