• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

swifty

Established Member

There also a comment on kernow behind the scenes that said " we have a whole plan for team Penzance. More than just the buses!!!! Leading the revolution. " any ideas?

Is Penzance still due to be upgraded from outstation to full depot with maintenance and wash upgrades?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Accelerator59

Just looking at the latest fleetlist updates on wmbusphotos and First Kernow have acquired a vehicle with fleet number 25001. Any ideas?

MB162435

Established Member
I hope the 10pm pub and restaurant closing time hasn't badly affected Kernow's late new and existing night commercial services

Tonight was my first time on the late night services since the rules introduction with the last T1 leaving Truro empty, last U1 with two, and TfCs last 93 with one person with the last 87 also being empty when I passed it at Treliske

Although I assume the 9 and 10pm services would do a lot better

Accelerator59

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Is Penzance still due to be upgraded from outstation to full depot with maintenance and wash upgrades?
Has it still not got its bus wash? There was a photo around a couple of years ago of the foundations being dug.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Penzance station booking office was refurbished a number of years ago whilst the old buffet was converted to a sleeper lounge a couple of years back.

I would be interested to know of any further works planned as I was told that there was no work planned for the station itself.

There were plans for reinstating the sidings at Ponsandane near Mount's Bay coaches for extra capacity however I am unsure if they are going ahead or any timescales.

scosutsut

Atlantic coaster 33456 - lk08nvj is shown wearing its new uniform still holding its second door (told its stays as high capacity isn't needed - route thoughts) and it also shows a vinyled rear like the a5 coasters bit newer.View attachment 84182View attachment 84183
I believe the 2nd door has to be retained as it's the designated emergency exit, same as what happened with the E400 open topper with First East Scotland for Bright Bus Tours.

swifty

Established Member
I believe the 2nd door has to be retained as it's the designated emergency exit, same as what happened with the E400 open topper with First East Scotland for Bright Bus Tours.

The Kernow twitter account said they’d been retained as it wasn’t worth the added expense of converting to single door (moving the ramp, moving the emergency exit etc) and downstairs capacity wasn’t an issue.

scosutsut

The Kernow twitter account said they’d been retained as it wasn’t worth the added expense of converting to single door (moving the ramp, moving the emergency exit etc) and downstairs capacity wasn’t an issue.
All true I'm sure, but emergency exit will also be a factor whether they mention it or not. Compare it to a single door Enviro - the offside emergency exit door behind the rear wheelarch is omitted because it's a dual door so at the very least to remove the centre door you'd additionally have to fit a replacement exit door - and no one sane would do that!

awsnews

All true I'm sure, but emergency exit will also be a factor whether they mention it or not. Compare it to a single door Enviro - the offside emergency exit door behind the rear wheelarch is omitted because it's a dual door so at the very least to remove the centre door you'd additionally have to fit a replacement exit door - and no one sane would do that!
Off topic but that is what has been done with the recently acquired Streetlites at First Glasgow, they have gained an offside emergency exit in lieu of the nearside middle door

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Off topic but that is what has been done with the recently acquired Streetlites at First Glasgow, they have gained an offside emergency exit in lieu of the nearside middle door
Indeed and we’re looking at two different issues.

For FK, the cost benefit of removing the centre door on the open toppers isn’t there as given the lower number of downstairs passengers, there’s no need.

For PCB, it makes sense to do it otherwise you’re left with a low capacity.

You might also think it’s worth doing on a 6 year old vehicle rather than a vehicle twice the age.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There were plans for reinstating the sidings at Ponsandane near Mount's Bay coaches for extra capacity however I am unsure if they are going ahead or any timescales.
Activity around Mount's Bay Coaches in the immediate future involves demolition of the wooden pedestrian bridge, which is rotten, and replacement. I've heard work to start in Jan and take three months.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Indeed and we’re looking at two different issues.

For FK, the cost benefit of removing the centre door on the open toppers isn’t there as given the lower number of downstairs passengers, there’s no need.

For PCB, it makes sense to do it otherwise you’re left with a low capacity.

You might also think it’s worth doing on a 6 year old vehicle rather than a vehicle twice the age.
Yes, and the two fleets that GSW are having converted are not only six years old but also Euro VI so thoroughly future proofed for as long as diesel is acceptable.

The Kernow E400s are Euro IV.

Lizard1324

A question is 32639 - KP54 AZA part of the kernow fleet as I thought it was but I've never seen it and it always showing on bus times as with potteries, but bus times said it was on the 251 college route today but didn't get to see it today.

swifty

Established Member
I was under the impression that the red one's from Ensign (ex Metroline) were not staying. There are at least two more, LK08 DXU & another one in Camborne LK08 NVL. I gather those two will be 33429 & 33430 although tie-up's unclear.

Ross Newman has confirmed those 3 are on loan to First.