• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
Today I saw 32621 - SF54 TLX which is now in kernow green with vinyls and branding, it even has the proper job cornish sticker and "are you suffering from a hangover" in Cornish
Also saw 32548 - SF54 OSL on the u4 in kernow green and vinyls.
Spend a while in penzance today and didn't see a first corporate paint which was nice to see and looks forward to the next few months when there won't be any.
Thanks for the update. Those two were previously unreported.

Really racing through the repaints now!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CornwallBus

I'd love to see how 32688 comes out! The last partner bus left I think? Glad the Geminis are getting there, some really were looking tired!

Lizard1324

I'd love to see how 32688 comes out! The last partner bus left I think? Glad the Geminis are getting there, some really were looking tired!
32688 was painted along time ago, if your referring to the vinyls then it will look good when the air cadets vinyls are layed, if its like 32637 it will look good, I assume it taking longer to add the vinyls due to the use of figures e.g. People or a plane maybe.

Goldfish62

Established Member
There seems to be an increasing presence of closed tops on the A1 - 3. I assume this is a deliberate policy as I can't believe there's an open top shortage with a PVR of just 3.

embers25

Established Member
There seems to be an increasing presence of closed tops on the A1 - 3. I assume this is a deliberate policy as I can't believe there's an open top shortage with a PVR of just 3.
During lock down there shouldn't be tourists so it makes sense.

Goldfish62

Established Member
During lock down there shouldn't be tourists so it makes sense.
If you have a look at previous posts it was stated that the open toppers were being used to keep them working to hopefully avoid the reliability issues that mothballing results in.

Apart from Christmas West Cornwall is a tourist-free zone from November through to early March anyway.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It’s a leisure service.
They could just not run it.
If you don’t feel it meets your needs you could ask Cornwall Council to spend even more of your Council Tax
You speak in ignorance, I'm afraid, regarding the service, the one that's been numbered 1 since the early days of Western National and has provided the main public service to the far west of the Penwith peninsula from Penzance, where the railway ends, over all that time. The people using this service for most months of the year, even in 'normal' times, are going to work, school, college, hospital, shopping etc etc and the so-called 'delights' of Land's End (okay for an hour once a decade, I guess) wouldn't be further from their minds. First Kernow might just ask themselves why such 'initiatives' are not tried elsewhere. What has Cornwall Council's spending policy (and don't start me on that unaccountable, unfit-for-purpose shower) got to do with it? Even they might baulk at being expected to pay FK more for providing the bog standard usual offering of bus rather than a bus clearly designed for summer travelling. Perhaps the drivers should be required to wear panama shirts and bermuda shorts.:{

On the Buses

You speak in ignorance, I'm afraid, regarding the service, the one that's been numbered 1 since the early days of Western National and has provided the main public service to the far west of the Penwith peninsula from Penzance, where the railway ends, over all that time. The people using this service for most months of the year, even in 'normal' times, are going to work, school, college, hospital, shopping etc etc and the so-called 'delights' of Land's End (okay for an hour once a decade, I guess) wouldn't be further from their minds. First Kernow might just ask themselves why such 'initiatives' are not tried elsewhere. What has Cornwall Council's spending policy (and don't start me on that unaccountable, unfit-for-purpose shower) got to do with it? Even they might baulk at being expected to pay FK more for providing the bog standard usual offering of bus rather than a bus clearly designed for summer travelling. Perhaps the drivers should be required to wear panama shirts and bermuda shorts.:{

No I don’t. You just can’t get the point. I made it clear that I wasn’t referring to the usage of it, but to the basis on which FSW provides it commercially. I’m not repeating the explanation others have understood.

cnjb8

Established Member
32280, 32284, 32285, 32286, 32287 and 32291 are due to arrive from West of England after withdrawal at Bath. They are Volvo B7TL/Transbus ALX400s.

Whiteway215

Established Member
32280, 32284, 32285, 32286, 32287 and 32291 are due to arrive from West of England after withdrawal at Bath. They are Volvo B7TL/Transbus ALX400s.
32284/85/87 are withdrawn and reported awaiting collection. 32280/86/91 were still in service in Bath as of yesterday.

Lizard1324

That’s a typo. B7. 2 From WY and 2 from WoE

Total is:

WoE

WY
Do you know will any of these stay? As 32525 and 32527 are newer then the presidents and the same age as the 54 plate Geminis.
Also would they replace the rented buses

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That’s a typo. B7. 2 From WY and 2 from WoE

Total is:

WoE

WY
Thanks for the info. I wondered if some would appear from Leeds with the last Streetdecks arriving.

More a surprise with the FWoE Geminis being ex London ones rather than the last ex Glasgow examples.

On the Buses

Do you know if any of them will be permanent?

Initially they’ll release 2 more Tridents back to Winkleigh and the five single deck Scania loans - 4 back to HDB 1 to scrap.

What stays long term will depend on what the post Covid demand looks like, and experience of the condition of these.

There is a desire to remove Trident Presidents though.

TechDan2002

Initially they’ll release 2 more Tridents back to Winkleigh and the five single deck Scania loans - 4 back to HDB 1 to scrap.

What stays long term will depend on what the post Covid demand looks like, and experience of the condition of these.

There is a desire to remove Trident Presidents though.
Has it been decided yet what 2 Tridents will be going back to Winkleigh first?